Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:01 AM   #1
thunderstorm
macrumors member

iToilet 3GS…

Hi guys. So my mum dropped her 3GS into the toilet last night. She dried it off and we put it straight into some rice. This morning she wakes me up and says, "I took it out of the rice, it wouldn't turn on so I plugged it in and it started buzzing weakly and a red light came on so I unplugged it and put it back in the rice." I should mention, it didn't just fall into plain toilet water- it fell into bleachy toilet water…
Anyway, since it's a 3GS I've bought her a 5 because it's time she upgraded anyway. My query is, she hasn't backed up to iCloud in a very long time, I know this because I've put her on my old 3GS until the 5 arrives and I couldn't set it up from an old iCloud backup- do you think the phone will ever turn back on long enough for me to sync her apps and photos etc? She uses her laptop even more rarely than iCloud so that won't help. Does it just need to sit in the rice for a while longer? It's only been in about 18 hours. Thanks.
thunderstorm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2
stuaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm View Post
Hi guys. So my mum dropped her 3GS into the toilet last night. She dried it off and we put it straight into some rice. This morning she wakes me up and says, "I took it out of the rice, it wouldn't turn on so I plugged it in and it started buzzing weakly and a red light came on so I unplugged it and put it back in the rice." I should mention, it didn't just fall into plain toilet water- it fell into bleachy toilet water…
Anyway, since it's a 3GS I've bought her a 5 because it's time she upgraded anyway. My query is, she hasn't backed up to iCloud in a very long time, I know this because I've put her on my old 3GS until the 5 arrives and I couldn't set it up from an old iCloud backup- do you think the phone will ever turn back on long enough for me to sync her apps and photos etc? She uses her laptop even more rarely than iCloud so that won't help. Does it just need to sit in the rice for a while longer? It's only been in about 18 hours. Thanks.
I would think plugging it in wouldn't of helped, but plain water might have be saveable but bleach? I doubt very much as that will be far more corrosive.

All you can do is wait a little longer I guess. At least 48 hours.
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:09 AM   #3
thunderstorm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuaz View Post
I would think plugging it in wouldn't of helped, but plain water might have be saveable but bleach? I doubt very much as that will be far more corrosive.

All you can do is wait a little longer I guess. At least 48 hours.
I know, I have no idea why she thought plugging it in would have been clever, I guess she just thought it had run out of charge?
And re: bleach. Don't even start I don't know how/why it fell in, but when she gets the 5 she's getting a lecture about not taking it to the toilet with her!
Okay, I'll leave it in and tell her not to touch it. Thank you!
thunderstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:17 AM   #4
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

She didn't have it in a shirt pocket did she? I've heard of people putting their phones in there and then leaning over to flush a toilet (in your mums case cleaning) and the phone plummeting into the bowl. Oops, hope you get a result!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:24 AM   #5
thunderstorm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
She didn't have it in a shirt pocket did she? I've heard of people putting their phones in there and then leaning over to flush a toilet (in your mums case cleaning) and the phone plummeting into the bowl. Oops, hope you get a result!
Back jeans pocket! I'll never understand! Thank you
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:52 PM   #6
thunderstorm
macrumors member

Update: she insisted on checking it again. Plugged it in and tried turning it on. This time the screen came on but it looked like some kind of X-ray, so she turned it off and put it back in the rice. Is it likely to get better with yet more time in the rice? Thanks again.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Update: she insisted on checking it again. Plugged it in and tried turning it on. This time the screen came on but it looked like some kind of X-ray, so she turned it off and put it back in the rice. Is it likely to get better with yet more time in the rice? Thanks again.
I have a friend who dropped theirs in the toilet and left it in rice for 3 days straight and it's fine, which was a miracle in itself. So the fact that bleach is included, plus plugging it in, it doesn't look good. Hope you get lucky.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:05 PM   #8
thunderstorm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
I have a friend who dropped theirs in the toilet and left it in rice for 3 days straight and it's fine, which was a miracle in itself. So the fact that bleach is included, plus plugging it in, it doesn't look good. Hope you get lucky.
Damn I've managed to restore my old 3GS from a sync on her laptop but that was nearly 8 months ago now. It's really just a matter of wanting to salvage photos from June onwards! Thanks, I hope so too!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:38 PM   #9
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Damn I've managed to restore my old 3GS from a sync on her laptop but that was nearly 8 months ago now. It's really just a matter of wanting to salvage photos from June onwards! Thanks, I hope so too!
Check photostream when the new one gets here. Hopefully most of them are still there.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Just be sure to throw out the rice when ur done.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:51 PM   #11
lelisa13p
macrumors 65832

Sounds like you need to tell Mum that when she feels compelled to turn on the "baptized" iPhone, to put her hands in her pockets instead. Every time she turns it on, she takes a bigger chance that it will be fried. Wait a couple of days, leaving it in the rice, and then try it, long enough to maybe send the pix to iCloud for transfer.

Patience, Mum, just like we tell our kids.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 AM   #12
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Every time she plugs it in all she does is short the phone which causes much damage.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:57 AM   #13
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Since its already been wet, maybe try cleaning out? Taking the screen off is pretty easy and then take some alcohol and or electronic cleaning solution and clean the board from the bleach film that's probably still on it. And take the phone from her and put it in rice and wait a couple days then try again.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone