Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeeg

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
Hardly outdated, slow or lacking in features.

I actually do find whatsapp pretty slow, which is why I convinced my friends to move away from it, the delay in sending and receiving messages is pretty noticeable if you compare it side by side with other similar messaging services.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I actually do find whatsapp pretty slow, which is why I convinced my friends to move away from it, the delay in sending and receiving messages is pretty noticeable if you compare it side by side with other similar messaging services.

That's funny, i've noticed the opposite. It's near-instant.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I use WhatsApp daily and I do agree that switching SIMs does throw things off. Otherwise, it works quite well.

As for privacy, it's no different than other apps such as Tango, Viber, and etcetera.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I hope this app doesn't get suffer or pulled because of the privacy-freaks.

I understand the need for privacy; I want it too. But the app ASKS for access to your contacts; if you choose not to give it access you don't have to use it.

It's not like there's something subversive or sneaky going on here. I use this app all the time to "text" with some Android-using UK friends; not having to pay international SMS fees is nice.

Just because you don't see the need it doesn't mean it's not there.
For instance if my brother used this app and has my number in his contacts then I could start getting spammed with Texts. My number is unlisted for a reason and I want to keep it that way. Not everyone’s phones can except texts without paying $.75 per text.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
It would be trivial for WhatsApp to simply calculate a hash of the phone numbers before transferring them to the server. Since identical phone numbers would lead to the same hash, they could still very easily match them between users's contact lists.
My phone number SHA1-hashed is:
Code:
5dfa43101598fec3ec8d155437453f4e2f408676
Call me if you can :cool:

It boggles the mind, why this is not standard practice.

You do realize that CPU time is not free, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.