Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:22 PM   #201
marc11
macrumors 68000

iTunes in the cloud is great, finally! I used iTunes Match originally to update all my old music files but let it renew because I liked have music access directly via my Apple TV without having to have a computer on or my iPad/iPhone handy; now I can cancel my iTunes Match renewal this year.

Okay so it doesn't have my ripped CD music, but I can live with that and Airplay when I cannot for the cost of saving $25 a year.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:40 PM   #202
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqfalcon View Post
Can someone please tell me what the point of iTunes in the Cloud (or Match) on an Apple TV is? You can already stream your music to your Apple TV over wifi direct from your computer without having to waste your network download gigabytes. It's not like you can use an Apple TV without a computer and there must be very few people who don't download the music they've purchased onto their computer. Don't get it.
Why can't you use an Apple TV without a computer? Of course you can.

It's great because you can do it when your computer is off, and even if the songs you bought are not downloaded on the computer. Or you just haven't setup sharing.

There's no reason for it not to work. Apple TV should let you access your iCloud purchased content, and now it does for music too.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:42 PM   #203
BigDukeSix
macrumors 6502a

Did my update, no issues, smooth as silk.
BigDukeSix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:49 PM   #204
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Amazon is a competitor in where Apple wants to go, durrrrrrrrrrrr.
Doesn't make sense since they have apps for iOS.
JesterJJZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:55 PM   #205
igazza
macrumors 6502a

now all we need is an app store.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:14 AM   #206
gijoeinla
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2875 View Post
Yeah, it's weird that their iOS app doesn't allow Airplay. Maybe they want people to use the Apple TV's built in Netflix app.
Not really. Think about it.. You really really think that Apple itself won't be very soon offering movie AND music streaming? If not, wouldn't Airplay already like be on Netflix ages ago? Um, same for the Amazon app...Although someone said it recently added Airplay?? Edit -- Just checked the Amazon app - NO Airplay on it either and that app is brand new... There's something afoot for sure and it's not a rights issue.

Bottom line -- with 500 million mobile devices and counting -- will it really be that long until Apple itself starts acquiring and distributing content? And seriously, they should. They've got tons of cash and content is king. I know I know, they say they won't --- just like Steve said they'd stick with the larger iPad. Never say never.
gijoeinla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 AM   #207
Tech198
macrumors 68040

direct streaming ?

Does this mean you don't need iTunes to play ?

The only thing i can think of that finds Bluetooth support useful on ATV at the moment is "searching", till Apple adds "stuff"

That alone, is not a big deal..... (just takes ya a bit longer with the remote, unless your speedy)

If its something you have to get out to do (in this case a bluetooth keyboard) its not worth doing. However, good idea though.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:04 AM   #208
duncansby
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuipdboy1000 View Post
Netflix Super HD support on the 1080p Apple TV? It may already be automaticaly streaming in that format but it doesn't let you easily see what content is in that format.
Here in the UK the update now shows the SuperHD logo in Netflix
duncansby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:26 AM   #209
blinkin182
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max E Verde View Post
You can stream purchased music if you are not an iTunes Match subscriber.

Also can confirm, bluetooth keyboard works with Apple TV (2nd gen).
Thanks for confirming bluetooth keyboard works with 2nd gen!
I imagine navigation is a combination of arrow keys, enter/return and esc. Is that correct?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:21 AM   #210
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Or, better still, rather than Apple trying to pick the right size hard drive to balance pricing needs and customer wants (which widely vary), how about just normalize the USB port and let those that want local storage hookup however much storage they desire?
Either way. Personally I'd prefer a HD built in. I've had to hack my 1st Gen to hook up a 1TB drive. So now I have the ATV and the HD constantly powered on which is not ideal but it is better than having to keep your computer on to stream stuff to your tv.

Apples mantra is elegance and ease of use but having an additional HD attached goes against both of those so putting a HD back in would make more sense - like it did originally (apart from the ridiculously small storage capabilities).
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:05 AM   #211
msonic77
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Why would you need a hard drive? If you want to save a movie and watch it multiple times or keep a local iTunes library? Allowing users to attach extra storage would be good, but putting in a hard drive that not many people need just raises the cost and makes it less reliable.
Simple bit : not Apple TV anymore ( same formfactor ) - but MacMicro instead. Let it be ...)
msonic77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:27 AM   #212
mxswe
macrumors newbie

I was planning on buying a atv3 but then I saw the latest news about finding some info about a new one in the latest ios 5.2

What can we really expect if there is an ATV 4 on the way? Maybe a A6 processor? If that is the case maybe even a appstore?

There has to be something new coming up with the new BT keyboard feature, not that much you can use the keyboard with on the ATV 3 today.

A appstore would be freakin awesome, plex right in to the box what a dream =)

Siri and facetime maybe? Control your apple tv with siri would be pretty nice, samsung is already there with their latest tv's.

There has been talk about a new tv from apple but I don't think they will release a tv. Can't imagine apple have a stock in their stores filled with tv's. Maybe.. maybe they will release a service similiar to netflix in a new apple tv case? With a full supported appstore and siri and camera?

What do you guys think?

And sorry for the bad english!
mxswe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:30 AM   #213
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

BT keyboard support is awesome. I hate using the little remote to type in wifi-passwords. Especially since mine is 18 random characters.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 AM   #214
roverma
macrumors member

App remote

Remote app isn't working anymore on iPad 4 and iPad mini after 6.1 update....
Can't connect to Apple TV3, it sees apple tv and connects to iTunes library, but not to the apple tv.
Still works fine on iPhone 4S.
roverma is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:31 AM   #215
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxswe View Post
I was planning on buying a atv3 but then I saw the latest news about finding some info about a new one in the latest ios 5.2

What can we really expect if there is an ATV 4 on the way? Maybe a A6 processor? If that is the case maybe even a appstore?

There has to be something new coming up with the new BT keyboard feature, not that much you can use the keyboard with on the ATV 3 today.

A appstore would be freakin awesome, plex right in to the box what a dream =)

Siri and facetime maybe? Control your apple tv with siri would be pretty nice, samsung is already there with their latest tv's.

There has been talk about a new tv from apple but I don't think they will release a tv. Can't imagine apple have a stock in their stores filled with tv's. Maybe.. maybe they will release a service similiar to netflix in a new apple tv case? With a full supported appstore and siri and camera?

What do you guys think?

And sorry for the bad english!
I sure would love an app store, even if its just for gaming. Nothing would be cooler than splitting the game on an ipod touch or iphone, and an iPad, with the TV.

Think about using your iphone or touch as the controller, the iPad as a "map" of the area, and the apple tv as the display.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 AM   #216
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
Either way. Personally I'd prefer a HD built in. I've had to hack my 1st Gen to hook up a 1TB drive. So now I have the ATV and the HD constantly powered on which is not ideal but it is better than having to keep your computer on to stream stuff to your tv.

Apples mantra is elegance and ease of use but having an additional HD attached goes against both of those so putting a HD back in would make more sense - like it did originally (apart from the ridiculously small storage capabilities).
Then it turns into a "how much hard drive storage inside?" question in which no one wins except the small subset that happens to get close to the size they want at the approx. price increase they want. Everyone else is going to gripe about "too small" or "too much" and "I don't want to sync when I have perfectly good storage on my Mac and can stream" and "I don't want to pay more for an on-board drive that doesn't have enough storage", etc. All of these were gripes that constantly flew when the "1" was the one.

I don't think Apple solved that problem by arbitrarily dismissing the internal storage (though the price gripers were happier). Thus, I believe the answer is in normalizing that USB port and letting those wanting to sync attach whatever level of storage they desire and those happy with streaming don't have to pay up for storage they don't want. OR, turn on some NAS discovery features so that the TV4 or 5 can discover media on network attached drives (maybe hooked to an AEBS or Time Capsule).

As to power conservation, there are plenty of attached storage solutions that spin down when not in use.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:44 AM   #217
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqfalcon View Post
Can someone please tell me what the point of iTunes in the Cloud (or Match) on an Apple TV is? You can already stream your music to your Apple TV over wifi direct from your computer without having to waste your network download gigabytes. It's not like you can use an Apple TV without a computer and there must be very few people who don't download the music they've purchased onto their computer. Don't get it.
The major upside is it basically gives you a hard drive without ATV actually having one. I buy movies on my appleTV, and they stay in the "cloud" unless apple loses licencing rights, I can watch those movies anytime, anywhere w/o actually having a copy downloaded.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:27 AM   #218
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkin182 View Post
Thanks for confirming bluetooth keyboard works with 2nd gen!
I imagine navigation is a combination of arrow keys, enter/return and esc. Is that correct?
Owner of 2 tv 2s here, and I also confirm Bluetooth compatibility.

Navigation is very close to what you imagine, along with a pleasant surprise or two. On the Apple wireless keyboard:
  • Arrow keys: Analogous to the direction keys on the Apple Remote.
  • Enter key: Equivalent to the Select button (in center of direction keys).
  • Escape key: Equivalent to the Menu key (i.e. "escapes" to previous menu).
  • Play/Pause in the media button area: Just like the Play/Pause button on the remote.
  • Next/Previous in the media button area: Can be used either for rewind/FF, or next/previous chapter. I haven't played with it enough to figure out which.
  • Typing in search functions for both NetFlix and YouTube works as expected.
  • And the pleasant surprise: While in a menu with lots of items e.g. a list of music artists, pressing a keyboard letter instantly jumps to that letter in the list. No more holding the Down button! ZZ Top fans rejoice!
dXTC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 AM   #219
RyanR.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekstud View Post
Apple giveth and Apple taketh away.
Buy an ATV for your bedroom says Apple.
If they add thunderbolt to the TV so I can link it to my iMac, sure I don't need a big a$$ iMac and tv in the same room
RyanR. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:04 AM   #220
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Then it turns into a "how much hard drive storage inside?" question in which no one wins except the small subset that happens to get close to the size they want at the approx. price increase they want. Everyone else is going to gripe about "too small" or "too much" and "I don't want to sync when I have perfectly good storage on my Mac and can stream" and "I don't want to pay more for an on-board drive that doesn't have enough storage", etc. All of these were gripes that constantly flew when the "1" was the one.

I don't think Apple solved that problem by arbitrarily dismissing the internal storage (though the price gripers were happier). Thus, I believe the answer is in normalizing that USB port and letting those wanting to sync attach whatever level of storage they desire and those happy with streaming don't have to pay up for storage they don't want. OR, turn on some NAS discovery features so that the TV4 or 5 can discover media on network attached drives (maybe hooked to an AEBS or Time Capsule).

As to power conservation, there are plenty of attached storage solutions that spin down when not in use.
Or provide a hd option
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:19 AM   #221
nemex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
Beware, Netflix does not work over AirPlay! Probably digital rights issues
Well it does work for me. Netflix via Airplay is great
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:28 AM   #222
thesaint580
macrumors member

Even after 4 hrs of leaving the Apple TV to update, it was still stuck at 2/3s trying to prepare the update. Not sure to try again or use iTunes now. Wondering what's up with Apple QA Engineers these days.
thesaint580 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:30 AM   #223
Elijahg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint580 View Post
Even after 4 hrs of leaving the Apple TV to update, it was still stuck at 2/3s trying to prepare the update. Not sure to try again or use iTunes now. Wondering what's up with Apple QA Engineers these days.
Same happened to me, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it started fine and the second attempt at updating went without a hitch. No big deal.
Elijahg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:30 AM   #224
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoobsPro View Post
Or provide a hd option
What option though? What's the "right" size for an TV hard drive and how much higher should the price be to serve that option? Is that 1TB and a bigger case for about $199-$249 retail? Or is that 1TB as an SSD in a similar sized case for about $1,000-$1,500+? Is 1TB the right size (it wouldn't be for me)? So how about 2TB or 3TB and the retail increase to accommodate those sizes? I've seen guys post that they have 5+TBs of media. Maybe 128GB SSD and pricing it at about $199-$249 retail? Is 128GB too small for you? Maybe 256GB and pricing it at about $249-349 retail? See the problem?

Eyes roll or not, there is no right size. Too small to keep the price low and the crowd will scoff at the piddly storage. Too large to cover a broad range of "I want to sync my collection" (of widely varied sizes) and the price will be much higher, so the crowd will scoff at the higher price. There's a no-win here for Apple if they try to build it inside.

Normalize the USB port and Apple or third parties could build a matching case (ala mini-stack: http://www.newertech.com/products/ministack.php) that would cleanly attach to the TV to yield the (near) appearance of a single unit. THAT solution would then feed the wishes of nearly everyone in terms of how much storage they want and how much they want to pay up for it. And those that don't care as much about aesthetics could attach fat drives in less seamless enclosures for less.

I had the gen "1" and loved the ability to sync myself. I miss that feature every day. But, I also ran out of storage space and it turned into selective sync, then opening it to install a third party (bigger than stock) drive, and then jailbreaking and attaching the amount of storage I wanted. I completely understand the desire for it but Apple can't get this one right for the masses, only the select few where Apple's choice would just happen to line up with what those few consider "about right" and accepting of the price increase.

Today, Apple announced a 128GB iPad option and the thread is rapidly filling with gripes about the price increase for 64GB of additional storage at a $100 premium. That's what happens when Apple picks the capacity and charges for it. There's already a USB port on the existing model. Normalize it and turn on the underlying software to resurrect sync. Then everyone can attach whatever storage (vs. cost) best fits their own needs. And those happy with streaming don't have to pay anything extra for "piddly on-board storage 'I'll' never use."

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:03 AM   #225
thesaint580
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post
Same happened to me, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it started fine and the second attempt at updating went without a hitch. No big deal.
Ok thanks. Will try it again today.
thesaint580 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion