Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:28 AM   #101
aggri1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I'm not upgrading my iPhone 4 from iOS 5. It's slow enough as it is.

I wish I knew a way to update my sister's iPhone to iOS 5 rather than 6. Apparently some of her apps have stopped working - I presume that she updated them. Pretty stupid, the App Store allowing an app to update itself (be updated?) on a system (iOS 4) to a version which won't work.

I've had a gutful of iOS. So friggin hard to do stuff, errors, etc...
aggri1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:33 AM   #102
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
yay Apple !!!

(What took you guys soo long)
__________________
13" MBP-R, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV (3rd-Gen.), iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad (4th-Gen.) 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:41 AM   #103
thasan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
It gives me goose bumps and makes me feel warm and tingly inside.
Of course, that's the only way you could write something negative
thasan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:23 AM   #104
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603
 
AppleScruff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thasan View Post
Of course, that's the only way you could write something negative
Or you could have a sense of humor and laugh. And I'm sure if I really wanted to be negative I could have come up with something much better.
AppleScruff1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:58 AM   #105
BvizioN
macrumors 68000
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Same happens on Android and Windows Phone, you get a notification that a system update is available, you tap it and update.
Since when? I had a Samsung galaxy S2 for nearly a year and never got any OS update in it, neither any notification to do it. But maybe that is a Jelly bean only.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:01 AM   #106
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
Since when? I had a Samsung galaxy S2 for nearly a year and never got any OS update in it, neither any notification to do it. But maybe that is a Jelly bean only.
umm... jelly bean. Why do Google's naming gotta be so tempting.
__________________
13" MBP-R, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV (3rd-Gen.), iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad (4th-Gen.) 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:44 AM   #107
BvizioN
macrumors 68000
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
umm... jelly bean. Why do Google's naming gotta be so tempting.
Indeed. Now only if the OS or the devices running it were so tempting for me to..
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:43 AM   #108
Sellewiet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
Yes. Yes, they do.

http://developer.android.com/about/d...rds/index.html

----------


I catch your drift, but

Emphasis mine. See above.
It's really quite simple. If you want a high end phone that has the latest features, you buy something like a S3, and it will be supported for quite some time. If you really really always want the latest updates, you buy Nexus. If you don't really care about those features and you're not a heavy user, you buy a midrange phone that obviously won't get updated. It's your own choice.

So comparing iOS6 numbers to JellyBean is like comparing apples to oranges. If you always want the latest updates, you can.
Sellewiet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:22 AM   #109
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000
 
r2shyyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agaytime View Post
Android is fragmented.
You guys are no fun.
__________________
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:59 AM   #110
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautyspin View Post
At the beginning - it was the number of activations. Then it became the number the Apps, then it became the total number of devices with the OS, then the total APP downloads.. Apple was always leading and Android kept beating them..

Now we have fragmentation and web traffic and profit - Three metrics where Apple leads. Any bets on how long they are going to do that (the profit thing looks like a thing of past as rumours of a cheap iphone and end of career subsidies float. Already Nexus 7 forced iPad mini which has the least GM). The Stock price is tanking like no tomorrow.. It is tough to be an apple fanboy these days..
And yet you are doing the same thing you are accusing others of by mentioning the stock price- , what does that have to do with iOS vs Android? Sounds like a cop out because Apple is still selling record numbers of devices. I bet HTC stock never crosses your mind.

If you have a valid reason as to why actual usage of a device isn't important, but only raw sales of crap is, I'd like to hear it. BTW if you want to see the negative effect of Android fragmentation in motion, check out third party hardware. iOS still has a huge lead here even though Apple uses big scary proprietary ports on their devices. (Audio devices, home automation devices, innovative cases, various other gadgets). All of these vendors can't be that stupid- they're supporting the most important and easiest target market first (or in many cases, only).

Last edited by blackcrayon; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:42 AM   #111
mnemonix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello12 View Post
IOs 6 is already the best OS for a phone. But iOS 7 needs to be revolutionary (by that I mean introduce a lot of the features users are dying to have). I hope they listen.
The features that some (not most) users are dying to have simply aren't 'revolutionary' in the first place and would therefore be no more than pointless tinkering and change for its own sake.

Until such a time that there actually is a revolutionary reason to change things up, most likely the result of a hardware advancement, this is not going to happen.

So the children clamouring for change will be disappointed and continue with their whining here, or, will simply jailbreak so they too can have all the distracting and confusing interface crap they could have have had if they'd simply bought an Android phone in the first place. Meanwhile the adults will be happy they have a phone that functions perfectly, because they just don't feel the need to either obsess over or play with their phone all the damn time.
mnemonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:56 AM   #112
newdeal
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
...

wonder how many of those devices sold are out of commission now (ipod touches replaced with iphones, iphone 3g, 3gs that are not used anymore etc). It would be interesting so see how much electronic waste these things are generating
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:58 AM   #113
Kr00
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post


And people say Android is fragmented!?!
And it is. Less than 20% of android users are running the latest update, mainly because OEM's don't push the updates out, as they want you to buy another device. Sad really. The users and the OS I mean. Sucks to be them I guess.
Kr00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:29 AM   #114
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello12 View Post
IOs 6 is already the best OS for a phone. But iOS 7 needs to be revolutionary (by that I mean introduce a lot of the features users are dying to have). I hope they listen.
No it’s not. It’s a freaking nightmare. I regret updating it every day.
Apple is pushing and focusing on all crap I would never use.
1. Siri – inaccurate and totally useless.
2. Facebook – useless.
3. Twitter – Useless.
4. Maps- Useless and Siri uses it instead of the Google one I downloaded. I also can’t click on and address and be taken to it like I use to in iOS5.
5. Passbook – Useless. That and it will get hacked and people will me loading it up with fake movie passes and stuff.

Edit:
In fact iOS6 is just iOS4 only broken.
Give me useful stuff like a better app switcher and themes so I can change those ****** looking icons.

__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:00 AM   #115
ravenstar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
No its not. Its a freaking nightmare. I regret updating it every day.
Apple is pushing and focusing on all crap I would never use.
1. Siri inaccurate and totally useless.
2. Facebook useless.
3. Twitter Useless.
4. Maps- Useless and Siri uses it instead of the Google one I downloaded. I also cant click on and address and be taken to it like I use to in iOS5.
5. Passbook Useless. That and it will get hacked and people will me loading it up with fake movie passes and stuff.

Sorry you're not happy, but I, for one, do not find Siri useless. I frequently use it to good effect. I don't care about Facebook and Twitter either, but it's not like their integration has hurt my use of the system. I know many people have problems with Apple Maps, but again, for me it's far ahead of Google maps. It all comes down to a matter of perspective. At least with Apple, I'm reasonably confident they recognize the problems and will work to improve the experience for users. That is a far too rare attitude in the technology industry.

I really don't get why so many people are saying Apple has to do something revolutionary with the next iOS. Sure, it'd be nice, but sales don't seem to be saying that the general public needs "revolutionary". Maybe they just want solid, reliable, and useable technology? Apple should come out with "revolutionary" when it has obvious benefit to the majority of users, and after they have refined it to a degree that's competitive with the current iOS. It would be a disaster if they succumbed to the whims of the stock market instead of stepping back and focusing on quality.
ravenstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:21 AM   #116
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
Since when? I had a Samsung galaxy S2 for nearly a year and never got any OS update in it, neither any notification to do it. But maybe that is a Jelly bean only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Nope, not on my S2 running Gingerbread. I know there's an ICS update available for it--even approved by my carrier--but I can click the Check for Update button all day long and I'll never get it. It's just the same old sloppy OS...
Well I only began using Android on version 4.2 so I don't know if earlier Android versions did. However OTA updates are a fairly recent thing to iOS. If you had a version earlier than that you would never know there was an update unless you plugged into iTunes and did it there, have you tried plugging it in and checking Samsung's own software?

I own a Nexus 7 tablet and a Nexus 4, every time a system update for Android gets released I get a notification alerting me.


(Obviously not a screenshot from my phone but this is what I got)
__________________
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Last edited by Dr McKay; Jan 29, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
Dr McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:03 AM   #117
spazzcat
macrumors 68000
 
spazzcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
No it’s not. It’s a freaking nightmare. I regret updating it every day.
Apple is pushing and focusing on all crap I would never use.
1. Siri – inaccurate and totally useless.
2. Facebook – useless.
3. Twitter – Useless.
4. Maps- Useless and Siri uses it instead of the Google one I downloaded. I also can’t click on and address and be taken to it like I use to in iOS5.
5. Passbook – Useless. That and it will get hacked and people will me loading it up with fake movie passes and stuff.

Edit:
In fact iOS6 is just iOS4 only broken.
Give me useful stuff like a better app switcher and themes so I can change those ****** looking icons.

I use all these features and they are not useless.

Edit: so you want themes, please tell me how this is useful?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstar View Post
Sorry you're not happy, but I, for one, do not find Siri useless. I frequently use it to good effect. I don't care about Facebook and Twitter either, but it's not like their integration has hurt my use of the system. I know many people have problems with Apple Maps, but again, for me it's far ahead of Google maps. It all comes down to a matter of perspective. At least with Apple, I'm reasonably confident they recognize the problems and will work to improve the experience for users. That is a far too rare attitude in the technology industry.

I really don't get why so many people are saying Apple has to do something revolutionary with the next iOS. Sure, it'd be nice, but sales don't seem to be saying that the general public needs "revolutionary". Maybe they just want solid, reliable, and useable technology? Apple should come out with "revolutionary" when it has obvious benefit to the majority of users, and after they have refined it to a degree that's competitive with the current iOS. It would be a disaster if they succumbed to the whims of the stock market instead of stepping back and focusing on quality.
The one thing I like about iOS is it is stable and does not change every update.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:31 AM   #118
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstar View Post
Sorry you're not happy, but I, for one, do not find Siri useless. I frequently use it to good effect. I don't care about Facebook and Twitter either, but it's not like their integration has hurt my use of the system. I know many people have problems with Apple Maps, but again, for me it's far ahead of Google maps. It all comes down to a matter of perspective. At least with Apple, I'm reasonably confident they recognize the problems and will work to improve the experience for users. That is a far too rare attitude in the technology industry.

I really don't get why so many people are saying Apple has to do something revolutionary with the next iOS. Sure, it'd be nice, but sales don't seem to be saying that the general public needs "revolutionary". Maybe they just want solid, reliable, and useable technology? Apple should come out with "revolutionary" when it has obvious benefit to the majority of users, and after they have refined it to a degree that's competitive with the current iOS. It would be a disaster if they succumbed to the whims of the stock market instead of stepping back and focusing on quality.
Sorry to be the barer of bad news but yes it does. My entire point is that Apple is spending way to much time and money on Facebook and Twitter when they could be using it to catch up to android.
Hell they even let Blackberry pass them!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
I use all these features and they are not useless.

Edit: so you want themes, please tell me how this is useful?

----------



The one thing I like about iOS is it is stable and does not change every update.
Themes are useful because they make me enjoy looking at my phone/ipad/ipod while I use them. Why allow wallpapers if you think they are so useless?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenstar View Post
Sorry you're not happy, but I, for one, do not find Siri useless. I frequently use it to good effect. I don't care about Facebook and Twitter either, but it's not like their integration has hurt my use of the system. I know many people have problems with Apple Maps, but again, for me it's far ahead of Google maps. It all comes down to a matter of perspective. At least with Apple, I'm reasonably confident they recognize the problems and will work to improve the experience for users. That is a far too rare attitude in the technology industry.

I really don't get why so many people are saying Apple has to do something revolutionary with the next iOS. Sure, it'd be nice, but sales don't seem to be saying that the general public needs "revolutionary". Maybe they just want solid, reliable, and useable technology? Apple should come out with "revolutionary" when it has obvious benefit to the majority of users, and after they have refined it to a degree that's competitive with the current iOS. It would be a disaster if they succumbed to the whims of the stock market instead of stepping back and focusing on quality.
How so? The last 6.1 update has 4 things in it that are irrelevant to 90% of the users. .1 is a big update. Did it fix the maps for the other 98% of the planet? Nope. Did it make Siri work like it should? Nope Siri can do some things but not most of the things they say it does.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 AM   #119
iZac
macrumors 65816
 
iZac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shanghai
Over 300,000,000 actively used iDevices, that's a LOT of users!

I wonder what the total number of active devices is? I'm sure Apple can track this...
iZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM   #120
mms13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Would love to know the number of ACTIVE devices that are on iOS6.

The 60% of all devices ever sold takes into account all the original iPhones, iPhone 3G, 1st gen iPod Touches that are currently sitting in landfills.

Active device percentage must be what...90...95%?
mms13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #121
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
They probably just cant find the right download link, for the right provider, for the right version of phone they are using and after they confirmed that the version in question is approved by the various providers of cell service.

Man, I love this Open OS stuff!
bu bu i can root and flash to the new software !! all i gotta do is go look all over the internet and find a stable build for my phone and then see if every feature works like the real thing!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Sorry to be the barer of bad news but yes it does. My entire point is that Apple is spending way to much time and money on Facebook and Twitter when they could be using it to catch up to android.
Hell they even let Blackberry pass them!

----------



Themes are useful because they make me enjoy looking at my phone/ipad/ipod while I use them. Why allow wallpapers if you think they are so useless?

----------



How so? The last 6.1 update has 4 things in it that are irrelevant to 90% of the users. .1 is a big update. Did it fix the maps for the other 98% of the planet? Nope. Did it make Siri work like it should? Nope Siri can do some things but not most of the things they say it does.
first of all Siri actually works great for me as well, very responsive and accurate in hearing my text. as for the Maps fiasco, there are PLENTY of fantastic alternatives on the App store including Google Maps so what does it matter anyway. 6.1 was a welcome upgrade for my i5 as it improved performance and improved my wifi as well. i also think iOS 7 is going to be a really good OS update to iOS

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Well I only began using Android on version 4.2 so I don't know if earlier Android versions did. However OTA updates are a fairly recent thing to iOS. If you had a version earlier than that you would never know there was an update unless you plugged into iTunes and did it there, have you tried plugging it in and checking Samsung's own software?

I own a Nexus 7 tablet and a Nexus 4, every time a system update for Android gets released I get a notification alerting me.

Image
(Obviously not a screenshot from my phone but this is what I got)
Owning a Nexus phone is defitnetly the best experience for Android... any other android smartphone is just terrible because they take months before the newest OS even reaches to their phones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggri1 View Post
I'm not upgrading my iPhone 4 from iOS 5. It's slow enough as it is.

I wish I knew a way to update my sister's iPhone to iOS 5 rather than 6. Apparently some of her apps have stopped working - I presume that she updated them. Pretty stupid, the App Store allowing an app to update itself (be updated?) on a system (iOS 4) to a version which won't work.

I've had a gutful of iOS. So friggin hard to do stuff, errors, etc...
why dont you update to iOS 6.1? it makes my brothers iPhone 4 as fast as its ever been and you can update your apps to the latest OS. doesnt make sense to stay behind on 5.1... every aspect of iOS 6 is better, better Safari, more apps, more compatible apps, smoother better performance... doesnt make sense to me

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
No its not. Its a freaking nightmare. I regret updating it every day.
Apple is pushing and focusing on all crap I would never use.
1. Siri inaccurate and totally useless.
2. Facebook useless.
3. Twitter Useless.
4. Maps- Useless and Siri uses it instead of the Google one I downloaded. I also cant click on and address and be taken to it like I use to in iOS5.
5. Passbook Useless. That and it will get hacked and people will me loading it up with fake movie passes and stuff.

Edit:
In fact iOS6 is just iOS4 only broken.
Give me useful stuff like a better app switcher and themes so I can change those ****** looking icons.


yeah because the icons on Android look any better.. right iOS definetly has the best app icon artwork by far they look like **** on Android tbh
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:54 AM   #122
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Fragmentation I would imagine is more of an issue for developers than it is for most end users whether you're talking about iOS or Android.

For one - many people buy phones for the functionality they HAVE not for what they MIGHT have in the future.

Second - most of the key apps people enjoy will have developers who make their apps work - regardless. So the onus is on the developer (and the headache). The end user, mostly, wouldn't feel that "pain."

Oh - and it's great "fodder" for forums like this as a discussion point for clickbait.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 PM   #123
sazivad
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
The last 6.1 update has 4 things in it that are irrelevant to 90% of users.
Interesting claims. Source?
__________________
[SIZE=1]MacBook Air
sazivad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:12 PM   #124
thasan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Or you could have a sense of humor and laugh. And I'm sure if I really wanted to be negative I could have come up with something much better.
) well, i always see u posting 'interesting' comments couldnt resist anymore to engage in a conversation
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:47 PM   #125
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
Interesting claims. Source?
My own observations among people I know with iphones and ios devices.
What % of people own iphone 5s or LTE enabled ipads? Not many.
And of that not many what % are on those carriers that didn’t support LTE already? Here the 2 big carriers probably sell most if not all the iphones.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: OIS-OS website up and running! ios 7 theme for 1st gen devices lewisweekly Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 14 Nov 21, 2013 10:48 AM
iPhone: OIS-OS website up and running! ios 7 copy for 1st gen devices lewisweekly iOS 5 and earlier 3 Nov 4, 2013 11:07 AM
China to Hit 246 Million iOS and Android Devices in February, Becoming World's Largest Market MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 61 May 24, 2013 01:09 PM
Apple Offers $53 Million Settlement to Customers Accused of Water Damaging Their iOS Devices MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 80 Apr 17, 2013 01:15 PM
legacy ios devices, running ios 6 new resolution tinny the cat iPhone 8 Sep 17, 2012 08:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC