Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
Just an fyi for anyone considering the purchase of a 15" 2.3/8gb/256 model. If you run photoshop cs6 and decide to try the 3d optionality, your RAM will be depleted to the point where you get very large page outs, while the program appears to hang for 10-15 seconds. Kind of disappointing. The computer is going back. Wonder if Apple is having second thoughts on not allowing users to upgrade their own RAM, as I am sure my return for insufficient RAM is rather common at this point. Loved the laptop otherwise.

I had no other apps open. Has anyone else had this experience? Wondering how the computer would have reacted had it had 16GB RAM.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I would try a restart and see if it does the same , 8 gig should be enough to run that.

----------

And on a side note I use PS CS6 extended with about three other ram hog programs running and have no issues. 16gig

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I use 3D with illustrator and i think it uses GPU to render 3D because discrete GPU engages only if I use raster or 3D...

The RAM is the last thing I run out of, though.

zosobao5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Central Ohio
I assume your running 8GB?

I use 3D with illustrator and i think it uses GPU to render 3D because discrete GPU engages only if I use raster or 3D...

The RAM is the last thing I run out of, though.

----------

I was able to replicate. I got a good deal on the base model and figured 8 gb would be enough for the next several years. I've restored the OS and plan to take it back. (but not really wanting to)

I would try a restart and see if it does the same , 8 gig should be enough to run that.

----------

And on a side note I use PS CS6 extended with about three other ram hog programs running and have no issues. 16gig

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
16GB but I keep my eye on RAM, and there wasn't a situation so far I would have less than 9gb free. (not inactive, free.)

+ the fact that your "scratch disk" is an SSD... I don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.