Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

syd430

Why more expensive?

Moore's Law and also price per gigabyte has dropped by 50% in the last 12 months shold mean the 128GB should be cheaper than the 64GB retina model when it launched.

No, you need to apply Apple's Law not Moore's Law ;)

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Storage gets cheaper and cheaper, and yet Apple keeps their prices the same year after year

:apple:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Is this a reaction to Surface being released?

I wouldn't doubt it. I'm amazed it's taken Apple this long to offer a 128 gb version. The chips are cheap enough that they couldn't have added that much cost to the manufacturing. I wonder if the extra storage takes up much more room? Apple's so obsessed with thin, maybe they had to reconfigure the circuit board.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Storage gets cheaper and cheaper, and yet Apple keeps their prices the same year after year

:apple:

I think once the iPad 5 comes out (Spring? Fall?) you'll see another shift down in price points. This is really just a minor spec bump / mid-product cycle refresh to squeeze out a few extra dollars.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Cant believe people are complaining already about this meaning their won't be an early iPad 5 release.. They just released the iPad 4 a couple months ago!! And it hasn't even been a year since the iPad 3 came out. Seriously people settle down.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Will be skipping this. I can buy a decent laptop with that money.

I was hoping ipad mini would come out but it looks like a new ipad mini wont be coming out until fall.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Milk the herd!

Without memory expansion options, every such move will be looked at as path-breaking launches from Apple.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Cant believe people are complaining already about this meaning their won't be an early iPad 5 release.. They just released the iPad 4 a couple months ago!! And it hasn't even been a year since the iPad 3 came out. Seriously people settle down.

You know 'logic' and 'rational' is not the way the local forum peeps do things around here ;)

They don't take too kindly to those types round here.. ;)

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
I'm guessing/hoping the iPad5 will start at 32GB and the prices will shift down by $100

I'm thinking we'll see this in 8 to 16 months time. For me, 64GB ensures I can bring a healthy supply of movies and TV shows to my girlfriend's place whereas 32GB limits my selection when bringing HD video (and my entire music library).

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011

The ipad 4 was a useless update. Apple should have just waited until march to release a proper ipad 4 and ipad mini.

They should at least roll out a retina mini

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Why more expensive?

Moore's Law and also price per gigabyte has dropped by 50% in the last 12 months should mean the 128GB should be cheaper than the 64GB retina model when it launched.

Because people will pay for it anyway. You can't upgrade the storage, so this is just a super easy way to make tons of profit.

16GB iPad is pretty useless even for a none power user. 8GB iPod is similar too.

16GB is plenty for many. If you just use it for web browsing, you won't need much local storage. Same applies if you get your content from the cloud (e.g. Spotify, Netflix).

Stega87

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
:confused: Something from Apple is overpriced??

:D

Quote from the last Town Hall meeting:
"Making new products that customers love is the priority. Revenue and share price is just a by-product of Apple’s efforts."

They don't want to make money :rolleyes:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too keen on Apple releasing their entire product line in one sitting. It looks like EVERYTHING in Apples line up will get released in the fall again.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't know. $929 is pretty steep for an iPad unless - without a doubt - you're going to use it a lot and in lieu of any other device.

Especially since you can get an entry level MacBook Air for $999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.