Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:45 PM   #1
chris1184
macrumors regular

Logic Pro 9 - recording vocal help! (in/out volume too low)

hello at the moment before i get an interface and a different mic, i am using a samson co1u usb mic to record something using logic...i am new to logic and have recently moved up from garageband...when i try to record my vocal over a beat i find that the level i am recording at is very quiet...even in my headphones that i use to monitor..i tried raising the actual volume on the computer..i tried raising the volume on the input bar from 0 db and still nothing...can anyone help? i like to hear myself clearly while recording and this kind of blows....also the beat i have which i am recording over is super loud...help a noob bout will ya? thank you in advance
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Papanate
macrumors regular

Search the manual for gain/trim.

But for the lack of initiative crowd...<G>

Click on an insert slot, go to utility, and then choose a Gain/Trim utility plug in.
Then boost the gain to a non distorting/digital overs level.
Papanate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:29 AM   #3
chris1184
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Search the manual for gain/trim.

But for the lack of initiative crowd...<G>

Click on an insert slot, go to utility, and then choose a Gain/Trim utility plug in.
Then boost the gain to a non distorting/digital overs level.
thank you so much i will try that later ....i was actually driving in to work and remembered i didnt try messing wit the gain...thanks again!!!!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Papanate
macrumors regular

So....what happened?
Papanate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:46 PM   #5
chris1184
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
So....what happened?
hey there..sorry for the late response..the gain did it! thanks again for the help
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Leetut
macrumors newbie

how do i get rid of the hiss if i add gain and turn it upto to +24db?
because thats the only way i can hear anything from the mic

need a better solution

ive connected mic to usb input
its on audio track1 cos i can see volume bars moving if i tap mic but i cant hear anything, its too quiet, any ideas that dont involve mega hiss?
Leetut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:21 AM   #7
hopehigh
macrumors newbie

low recording Vol

Ive experienced disappointingly low levels from Mics throughout my time as a hobby recordist. Keeping gain structures in check and combatting hiss can be a conundrum.
If you are using Logic and serious about recording, I would recommend any of the apogee audio interfaces. They are expensive, but the quality is excellent and the internal pre amps should give you all the level you need. It's also set up to work with logic and you can use it straight out of the box.

A cheaper option would be to buy a budget preamp (Ive had mixed success with these over the years) which are available for well under 100 sterling.

As I also work with a conventional, mixing console based set up I have just ordered an Alesis stereo tube preamp from a UK company unfortunately named PMT online! THey are selling the Alesis unit for under 50 sterling. I'll let you know if its any good / compatible with Logic.
Good Luck
hopehigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

IF you are using a USB mic, try this. Open the Audio MIDI Setup program - it should be in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Use the Window > Show Audio Window menu if you don't already see it. There should be an icon in the left pane that represents your USB mic - click on it.

Now you should see a volume slider on the right (or two sliders if it's a stereo mic). You can raise the level here. I have an AT2020 USB mic and the default volume level was very low (about 40% IIRC).

Raise it up as high as you like here. You can even do this while Logic is running and you will hear the difference as you move the slider. This is what it looks like with my AT2020
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volume.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	395137  
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Leetut
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post
IF you are using a USB mic, try this. Open the Audio MIDI Setup program - it should be in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Use the Window > Show Audio Window menu if you don't already see it. There should be an icon in the left pane that represents your USB mic - click on it.

Now you should see a volume slider on the right (or two sliders if it's a stereo mic). You can raise the level here. I have an AT2020 USB mic and the default volume level was very low (about 40% IIRC).

Raise it up as high as you like here. You can even do this while Logic is running and you will hear the difference as you move the slider. This is what it looks like with my AT2020
@hopehigh, none of that is a solution as it involves spending money lol
thanks for your input though, ive learned a lot from it

the Audio MIDI Setup program in the utilities folder is just the same as using the slider in system preferences/sound, moving either also moves the other.

i have it set on 85% so i can hear my acoustic guitar but there is too much hiss, if i turn it down to remove the hiss (@50%) i can no longer hear the guitar, even having a big 12 string dreadnoughts sound hole 1cm from the mic!!!

sample guitar & hiss @80% mic volume
http://www.mediafire.com/?uk4ad6wawgzt47o

im probably just worrying to much about it, gonna try and record a song then add some kind of hiss remover/noise reduction to the mic tracks, i suppose it aint that bad considering im only using a computer and a cheap usb mic

thanks for the replies!
Leetut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

Sounds like you need a better microphone.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio