Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
...aaaaaand cue the early adopters whining about how Apple screwed them over by not offering a 128GB version when the 4th gen was released.....

I'm not saying they'd be wrong in doing so since Apple even did this with the late 2012 21.5" iMac not having Fusion Drive at launch.....:confused: I'd be pissed too...

saqibhasan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
Is this a reaction to Surface being released?

This is the beginning of the end for apple. So not even 12 months since the iPad3, 4 since iPad4, they are bringing out rehashed models. This is reminiscent of the iMac when it was catering the masses instead of actually pushing boundaries.

Mr Cook needs another Mr Jobs to oust him and takeover apple and make apple what it used to be - innovative. Not just playing catchup.

I doubt I'll be upgrading my iPad3 anytime soon.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
absolutely ludacris margin.

A thing is worth exactly what another is willing to pay for it.
And a whole lotta people are willing to pay $929 for a 128GB iPad 4 LTE.

It's not like anyone else is whipping up a fungible alternative for a lot less. There's more to an iPad than base specs, and seems that "more to it" is worth a lot to a lot of people.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The ipad 4 was a useless update. Apple should have just waited until march to release a proper ipad 4 and ipad mini.

They should at least roll out a retina mini

Yes, Apple should forego all logic and practicality just to make YOU happy? Screw the holiday shopping season right?

If you forgot, Apple is a business. And for the record the iPad 4 is a beast of a mobile device. 1.4 GHz dual core processors and quad-core graphics. The iPad4 completely SMOKES the iPad 3 in all areas from speed to smooth gaming frame rates.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I imagine these frequent product launches are only training the anxious, "should I buy now or wait?" crowd to wait.

Indefinitely. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Those cards are lower speed.

That would be a perfect opportunity to move the Fusion technology from MacOS X to iOS. If it works with 1TB hard drive + 128GB SSD, then it would also work with 128GB slow flash memory and 16GB fast flash memory.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Well... I have a surface and here I'll defend Apple

A 32 GB Surface isnt much more storage than a 16 gb iPad. Windows RT takes a **** load of space, so not much more free.

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
This is the beginning of the end for apple. So not even 12 months since the iPad3, 4 since iPad4, they are bringing out rehashed models. This is reminiscent of the iMac when it was catering the masses instead of actually pushing boundaries.

Mr Cook needs another Mr Jobs to oust him and takeover apple and make apple what it used to be - innovative. Not just playing catchup.

I doubt I'll be upgrading my iPad3 anytime soon.

Apple does a yearly product refresh and a yearly OS refresh half-way through. It runs like clock-work, but Samsung launches new products at whim and I have no idea what the Android update schedule is. I have to admit I wish they could roll out new stuff more often.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
This is the beginning of the end for apple. So not even 12 months since the iPad3, 4 since iPad4, they are bringing out rehashed models.

In other news, lots of MacRumors participants lament Apple not releasing updated models fast enough.

Good grief man, when introducing a new standard connector they HAD to update all models to include it (and did some nice spec bumps to several models), and now they're slip-streaming a tweaked storage bump (by 2x!). There's nothing wrong with doing this; if they DIDN'T, people would be whining about them not.

Seriously, what kind of schedule do you expect since iPad 3 release, taking into account the need for a new connector (coordinated with addition to all other devices), availability for double processor speed at same cost, and availability of double storage for just $100 more? What, keep a half-speed half-storage old-connector device out there for 12 months when updates could have been slipped in any time?

ifij775

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Boston, MA
Well... I have a surface and here I'll defend Apple

A 32 GB Surface isnt much more storage than a 16 gb iPad. Windows RT takes a **** load of space, so not much more free.

Apple is losing the hardware specs comparison battle. They have better systems, but you wouldn't know it from the spec sheet.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
This is for wifi only models:

Cost per gb of storage:

16 gb at 499.00= 31.18

128 gb at799.00= 6.24

Quit the whining!

I could have sworn that the iPad came with more than just 16 gigs of storage space. Doesn't it have a screen? What about a metal casing? Processor? Why are people buying a huge flash storage device?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
The ipad 4 was a useless update. Apple should have just waited until march to release a proper ipad 4 and ipad mini.

Uh, wasn't the whining crowd around here lamenting that the iPad 3 was "too soon", cramming too much power into too limited a space and suffering overheating, weight problems, etc. and should have been delayed until <insert vapid rationalization here>? Now we've got a cooler-running device running twice as fast for the same size/price, and for just $100 more get double the storage. What would make you happy? :confused:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
This is for wifi only models:

Cost per gb of storage:

16 gb at 499.00= 31.18

128 gb at799.00= 6.24

Quit the whining!

No it's not whining. It's simple math. Storage costs does not extend in linear trend.

iPad pricing does.

Too complicated for you? Here's a reading.
Yep read the article's title loud and clear while you're at it. Please. :cool:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
That would be a perfect opportunity to move the Fusion technology from MacOS X to iOS. If it works with 1TB hard drive + 128GB SSD, then it would also work with 128GB slow flash memory and 16GB fast flash memory.

3 Major problems.

1. iOS devices tend to be short of "excess" space. So another Flash chip goes where? In a OS X device there were already generally two storage devices present ( 2 HDDs , HDD+ODD , HDD+SSD+ODD , etc. ). In iOS devices there is generally just one.

2. Cheap flash and and performance flash tend to have different wear characteristics. Increasing the wear level for a marginal improvement is highly dubious. This also means two different controllers since the characteristics are different. That isn't really cost effective either.

3. The size difference is too small. A 128GB vs 1TB HDD is an order of magnitude increase. For the $100 increase Apple is charging you can often actually buy denser versions of the "fast" technology.

There really aren't affordable 1TB SSDs (in the context of iOS device pricing or Mac device pricing either. ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.