Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
ipodmac
macrumors regular

Logitech MX Performance Mouse on Mountain Lion?

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Logitech MX performace Mouse.
Has anyone got this mouse? The most important feature to me is the smooth scrolling and back and forward buttons on safari and other apps. Does this work on the logitech mouse?

Thanks guys.
ipodmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Jurisprudence
macrumors member

I'm using the MX Performance with ML at the moment. Previously had it running using Sharemouse over an 2x MBP's with ML and a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard. Wouldn't use anything else but this mouse if I had the money to replace all my Magic Mice with them.

Logitech's software is very good (has improved immensely from previous version which were appalling) but you can also use Bettertouchtool instead. I have mine with

left/right buttons =set to the usual L/R
Scroll wheel button = mute
Scroll wheel left = volume down
Scroll wheel right = volume up
Zoom = Total Spaces grid (like SL spaces, google it)
Back/Forward buttons= switch previous/next space
Lower thumb = Quit active program

I use Opera not safari so no idea about setting back buttons on safari as on Opera you just hold the right button and tap the left to go back and vice versa.

You can set any button combo you want in logitechs software so you should be fine & you won't end up an RSI cripple thanks to Apples Tragic Mouse.
Jurisprudence is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Best mouse out there (IMO)....everything works fine on my Mac using the Logitech software.
fhall1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I use a Logitech M510 on all my Macs ( 2 with Mountain Lion, and 1 with Snow Leopard) using the Logitech Setpoint software. I haven't had any issues.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

I'd like to add that you can use either "USB Overdrive" or "Steermouse" to control a Logitech mouse (without using the "Logitech Control Center" software).

USB Overdrive "weighs in" at around 1.5mb, whereas LCC is around 26mb -- just to control the mouse!
Fishrrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:54 PM   #6
ipodmac
macrumors regular

Thank you everyone for your responses. You've just persuaded me to get the mouse!
ipodmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Not that you needed any more convincing, but I've been very happy with my Logitech MX Performance Mouse on my MBP running ML.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Haiku214
macrumors member

Best mouse for OSX atm.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodmac View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a Logitech MX performace Mouse.
Has anyone got this mouse? The most important feature to me is the smooth scrolling and back and forward buttons on safari and other apps. Does this work on the logitech mouse?

Thanks guys.
It's a great mouse. I have two of them, one for each of my iMacs. One Mac has Lion and the other Mountain Lion and the mouse works perfectly. I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:32 AM   #10
Che Castro
macrumors 601

What about this mouse ?

Check this out on AMZN: Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400 with High-Precision 3600 DPI Optical Engine (910-0022... http://amzn.com/B0055QZ216
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:59 AM   #11
22mac
macrumors member

How is the smooth scrolling? I have only ever used the magic mouse on mac and love the smooth scrolling.

How does the logitech smooth scrolling compare?
22mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:59 AM   #12
scott.n
macrumors member

I tried both the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and the Anywhere Mouse MX and had very poor experience with their ratcheting scroll wheels. Very jittery and far too sensitive. (Just moving the mouse - never touching the wheel - was sometime enough to cause scroll movement.)

I find the more traditional scroll wheels in the Logitech M510 mouse and V470 mouse (what I use with my desktop and laptop respectively) work much better.
scott.n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:36 AM   #13
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.n View Post
Just moving the mouse - never touching the wheel - was sometime enough to cause scroll movement.
You've must have extremely shaky hands or something. I have had a Performance MX at home and at work for a couple years now (since they came out) and have never seen this issue.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:41 AM   #14
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
You've must have extremely shaky hands or something. I have had a Performance MX at home and at work for a couple years now (since they came out) and have never seen this issue.
I wouldn't call it an issue per se, as I've seen mine do that. If the wheel is set for free spinning, and the mouse is bumped just right, the wheel will move a little and your window (if scrollable) will move. Plus you have to consider how you have the sensitivity settings arranged and how many lines to scroll when using the wheel.

It's a very fine mouse and I just love mine.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:15 AM   #15
scott.n
macrumors member

Quote:
My hands are perfectly steady. It's a common problem, introduced by Logitech's crappy (Mountain) Lion drivers. Search their support forums.
scott.n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:06 PM   #16
Acorn
macrumors 68020

I was using a logitech anywhere mouse and have had nothing but problems with mine. it skips and jumps around the screen and it randomly gets "stuck" while moving the cursor. I tried the control center as well as steer mouse to try and fix it but in the end i ended up switching to a cheap logictech m305 mouse which works flawlessly. Not really sure why everyone elses anywhere mouse works fine for them and mine doesnt. oh well.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:25 AM   #17
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
I was using a logitech anywhere mouse and have had nothing but problems with mine. it skips and jumps around the screen and it randomly gets "stuck" while moving the cursor. I tried the control center as well as steer mouse to try and fix it but in the end i ended up switching to a cheap logictech m305 mouse which works flawlessly. Not really sure why everyone elses anywhere mouse works fine for them and mine doesnt. oh well.
How far apart is your mouse and the unifying receiver? I've seen issues like that if they are too far apart or the mouse battery is getting weak.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Acorn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How far apart is your mouse and the unifying receiver? I've seen issues like that if they are too far apart or the mouse battery is getting weak.
about 24 inches from the receiver. that should be fine. Ive blown into the bottom and wiped my mouse mat in case of hair or what not as well. still works like crap. Id return it if i wasnt past my return period.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:45 AM   #19
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
about 24 inches from the receiver. that should be fine. Ive blown into the bottom and wiped my mouse mat in case of hair or what not as well. still works like crap. Id return it if i wasnt past my return period.
As a test I'd say move it closer - within a foot - and see if it improves....if it doesn't I'd say you have a bum mouse.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:29 PM   #20
Che Castro
macrumors 601

How's the battery life on this mouse ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 PM   #21
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
How's the battery life on this mouse ?
I get about 40 hours per battery.
InuNacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:21 AM   #22
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I tried both the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and the Anywhere Mouse MX and had very poor experience with their ratcheting scroll wheels. Very jittery and far too sensitive. (Just moving the mouse - never touching the wheel - was sometime enough to cause scroll movement.)

I find the more traditional scroll wheels in the Logitech M510 mouse and V470 mouse (what I use with my desktop and laptop respectively) work much better.
I was interested in what you said, and looked into the M510. I was set on picking it up until I read that it does not function well on light colored surfaces. Unfortunately, my desk is white, so I see that as being a problem. Are there any other mice you would recommend that's similar to the M510, functions well on light colored surfaces, and has solid battery life?

The MX sounds like a great mouse and all, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be spending ~$75 for a mouse (current amazon price).

My portable MS mouse now functions fine on my desk, but it's a little too small for my hand for extended use and the battery life could be better I suppose.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:48 PM   #23
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

RSI and distance from computer for keyboard and mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisprudence View Post
I'm using the MX Performance with ML at the moment. Previously had it running using Sharemouse over an 2x MBP's with ML and a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard. Wouldn't use anything else but this mouse if I had the money to replace all my Magic Mice with them.

Logitech's software is very good (has improved immensely from previous version which were appalling) but you can also use Bettertouchtool instead. I have mine with

left/right buttons =set to the usual L/R
Scroll wheel button = mute
Scroll wheel left = volume down
Scroll wheel right = volume up
Zoom = Total Spaces grid (like SL spaces, google it)
Back/Forward buttons= switch previous/next space
Lower thumb = Quit active program

I use Opera not safari so no idea about setting back buttons on safari as on Opera you just hold the right button and tap the left to go back and vice versa.

You can set any button combo you want in logitechs software so you should be fine & you won't end up an RSI cripple thanks to Apples Tragic Mouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5BRICK View Post
Not that you needed any more convincing, but I've been very happy with my Logitech MX Performance Mouse on my MBP running ML.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
It's a great mouse. I have two of them, one for each of my iMacs. One Mac has Lion and the other Mountain Lion and the mouse works perfectly. I highly recommend it.
Quote:
My hands are perfectly steady. It's a common problem, introduced by Logitech's crappy (Mountain) Lion drivers. Search their support forums.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking to use a large LCD TV about 10 feet away to reduce eyestrain in my home office. I have a problem with RSI already. I'm wondering what the keyboard/mouse options are for 10-12' (3-4m) distances are. Anybody try this?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:54 PM   #24
glitch44
macrumors 65816

Anyone prefer the smaller Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX over the Logitech MX Performance?
glitch44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:23 PM   #25
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

the only thing that has kept me from purchasing a mouse is that most are not bluetooth. I would like an alternative bluetooth mouse so i don't have to use another usb port.

Also, I like the magic mouse finger gestures... something no other mouse is going to have.
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals