Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:44 AM   #51
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

Always makes me laugh when apple fans don't like mobiles made of plastic..yet as soon as they get there shiny cheap metal/glass phones, what do they do? Wrap it in a cheap plastic/rubber cover.......brain fart moment?hell yes!
stevensr123 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:15 AM   #52
Mo1959
macrumors member

I could definitely be tempted back to Blackberry with this. Have had them in the past and liked them but didn't get on with the small keyboards.

Getting a bit fed up of Apple's minor updates and lack of innovation lately.
Mo1959 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:20 AM   #53
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Plastic? Big fail.

Atleast make it out of glass if you can't find a way to incorporate aluminum/stainless steel without interfering with wifi/gps/cell/bt signals.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:27 AM   #54
bandityo
macrumors member

I have iphone5 and all the ones before...however, the OS on this new Z10 really intrigues me and makes the ios look stale in my opinion. I hope they do well so that we maybe get some major changes for our Apple products.
bandityo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:48 AM   #55
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Who wants phone made of crappy cheap metal?
No you won't see people saying that because its a paradox, its pretty hard to find "cheap metal"...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:25 AM   #56
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
Plastic? Big fail.

Atleast make it out of glass if you can't find a way to incorporate aluminum/stainless steel without interfering with wifi/gps/cell/bt signals.
Why? GS3 and the Galaxy Note 2 are plastic and are very much successful.
ahfu25 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:55 AM   #57
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfu25 View Post
Why? GS3 and the Galaxy Note 2 are plastic and are very much successful.
Well I am not one of them. In fact the majority of the smartphone users aren't one of them either. Only cheapskates buy those phones. Or people that really really really can not compromise on OS and display. Although that is probably the minority
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:12 AM   #58
Keebler
macrumors 68030

pushed to innovate

Hey there,

The new RIM phone looks good. New OS looks solid. Like some of the features we've seen so far.

It's interesting to hear the comments about iOS being 'stale'.

I agree. It hasn't changed that much, but I won't go far as to call it stale imho.

Why? because it works and not only does it work (for me at least), I'm very fast at getting to apps I want or to doing stuff on it. I don't find the interface clunky.

I'd be interested to see how RIM's new OS does with the multi-touch. Some of the features make it look like you need 2 hands to use it whereas iOS you really only need one. Granted, there isn't much available on the Z10 so who knows, maybe it's not what I think based on the little info out there.

Bottom line: maybe i don't think the iOS is stale, but I'd certainly welcome anything new and fancy they can bring to the table to change it so it's even faster to get things done. I like that Apple and Samsung are pushing each other and a strong 3rd competitor out there will only help things, I believe. Just my opinion.

I could be full of crap too for all I know (or we all could be).

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:37 AM   #59
Brounmoney
Banned

I am not a huge apple fan boy at all, but I do hate plastic phones. I have the galaxy nexus and I love the software, but the hardware is crap. The plastic just feels cheap. I really liked the weight and fell of the iPhone 4. When I got the iphone 5 it felt better than the galaxy nexus but still because it was light it just seems cheap. If BB wanted to keep up with android and apple they were going to have to have the z10 be amazing. I am not sure if it will or not. On the hardware side if it is plastic they may be doomed. I don't always hate plastic, but the road that BB has been on they would need this phone to be best looking well build phone on the market. Plastic just does not do that. The software has to be great too, but if you can't get people on board with your hardware you are in trouble. I think this is why so many people are talking about it being plastic.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:32 AM   #60
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well I am not one of them. In fact the majority of the smartphone users aren't one of them either. Only cheapskates buy those phones. Or people that really really really can not compromise on OS and display. Although that is probably the minority
You make no sense. Their are MILLIONS of GS3's and Note 2's sold just like the almighty iPhone your holding.
ahfu25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #61
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahfu25 View Post
You make no sense. Their are MILLIONS of GS3's and Note 2's sold just like the almighty iPhone your holding.
English! Do you speak it?

I didn't say samsung wasn't selling phones in the 6 figures. Maybe even 7 or 8 figures. I said the majority are still using the iphone 4/4s/5. And that certainly goes for States which I believe has more smartphones users than other parts of the world combined.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:06 PM   #62
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I didn't say samsung wasn't selling phones in the 6 figures. Maybe even 7 or 8 figures. I said the majority are still using the iphone 4/4s/5. And that certainly goes for States which I believe has more smartphones users than other parts of the world combined.
Cheapskate's? What does that mean? Only cheapskates buy anything other than iPhones?
ahfu25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:18 PM   #63
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh now you're ''elite'' and not a cheapskate because you own an iPhone?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 PM   #64
0dev
macrumors 68040

It's a nice design but if the build quality is anything like the BlackBerries I've owned in the past it'll work for a whole month before developing a fault and it'll need the battery pulling out every week in the interim.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:16 PM   #65
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

I think the white Z10 looks better than the white iPhone, but the black iPhone looks better than the black Z10.

Can't wait for the announcement tomorrow, really looking forward to picking one of these ups.

Also, as for metal vs. plastic, while I prefer metal , don't let Samsung plastic undermine the quality plastic other manufacturers use. And BlackBerry makes some high quality plastic phones, almost the same level as Nokia.

But hey, metal or plastic, at least they are both better than glass. iPhone 4 and 4s are the only phones I ever had in a case because the glass.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:43 PM   #66
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:

You seriously think that the States have more smartphone users that the rest of the world combined? Do you think the world only consists of North America?
LSUtigers03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:01 AM   #67
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
Looks pretty slick
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:51 AM   #68
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Everyone who's cribbing about cheap plastic, lets not forget BB came with that premium leather on the back panel of their bold series phones. The iPhone 5 didn't do much in terms of quality when apple decided to use aluminium (lets not even go there). Looking at RIM's past experience when it came to a phone's premium feel, I'm pretty sure RIM wouldn't have compromised on the quality of the plastic (if at all it is plastic). By the looks of it, the z10 looks revolutionary when compared to other BB phones.

I switched to iPhone 4 from a blackberry bold 9700 about 1.5 years ago (don't remember how long exactly) because the software wasn't any good. For some reason, I really hope BB has played its cards right with their latest offering and at least starts bringing them back to the so called 'Smartphone' market.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:50 AM   #69
mikeo007
macrumors 65816

That's matte plastic just looks so premium...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:41 PM   #70
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Well, looks like they use both, stainless steel frame and plastic battery cover.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices