Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:04 PM   #26
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Prudes!
mrsir2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 PM   #27
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
I guess It's all about perspective. At the end of the day I think It is filth :P,
That's fine. It's your opinion. I can imagine that many people do not see it that way.

Quote:
I don't think most people consider it a work of art or something to be proud of, It's just something to do when your not getting any..
I would say that is not accurate. There is lots of studies out there about couple that watch porn together. That it's only watch by people who can't get laid is a stereotype.

Quote:
There have been instances where teachers have been caught watching porn while in school, and that is very disturbing when your a parent.. It actually happened in my high school when I was younger, obviously the teacher was sacked..
As they should have been. I would expect the same thing if they were doing other things around minors like drinking. Time and place. There are lots of legal things to do that one should't engage in many workplaces. Private business can set their own standards there.

Quote:
Don't think it has it's place in devices kids will be using.
Trying to frame it as a "think of the children" argument gets us nowhere though. After all, kids have access to all sorts of things that adults also have access to. If you (g) want to keep your kids away from adult material (which is always going to exist no matter what), you educate your kids and teach them properly about what is age appropriate. I wouldn't let my kids watch porn anymore than I would give them a pack of smokes or a fifth of whisky. I wouldn't even take them to R rated movies. Of course I wouldn't try to ban such items in public either.

Lets be honest here. Lets not just try and target easy scapegoats and blame them for societies ills when we should be looking at society and try to avoid problems. You want to know why kids like violent video games? Parent's don't take the time to consider that their kids shouldn't be playing them and treat video games like babysitters and end up just buying whatever their children ask for. Trying to suppress things like this just makes them forbidden fruit and makes them more desirable. And making it less socially acceptable just makes people hide it more which increases the potential for problems since individuals never identify their own problems.
pdjudd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:53 PM   #28
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
Tired of Apple playing nanny with people, selecting lifestyles for me in a way even a church would not dare doing. And this from a company that last innovated phones in 2008 or so.
__________________
www.princigalli.com

Last edited by princigalli; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
princigalli is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:01 AM   #29
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Tired of Apple playing nanny with people, selecting lifestyles for me in a way even a church would not dare doing. And this from a company that last innovated phones in 20008 or so.
What? Last I checked, Apple doesn't tell me what data I can or cannot access via safari. I can go to whatever website I wish to go to. About the only thing they restrict is the Apps you can buy but that's their right as a private company. And you know what? Most people don't really mind.

I don't know what you are talking about with "lifestyles" since they don't have anything to do with how I live my life.
pdjudd is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:06 AM   #30
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Don't think it has it's place in devices kids will be using.
Well kids use computers too, don't they? So does porn not have a place there either?

----------

Quote:
Trying to suppress things like this just makes them forbidden fruit and makes them more desirable.
Exactly! My parents didn't restrict my access to the internet, and thus I'd discovered porn by age 11. It didn't screw me up, make me a porn addict or anything. I'm perfectly fine now, because my access to porn wasn't restricted, so I don't have an unhealthy desire/obsession with it.
mrsir2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:18 AM   #31
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816
 
DisMyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Suppressing sexual relief is evil, whether by shame or other controls. It's also hypocritical since we're all human and dreaming the same stuff basically.
DisMyMac is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:29 AM   #32
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMyMac View Post
Suppressing sexual relief is evil, whether by shame or other controls. It's also hypocritical since we're all human and dreaming the same stuff basically.
As the old saying goes: 90% of people masturbate. The other 10% are lying
mrsir2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:52 AM   #33
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
What? Last I checked, Apple doesn't tell me what data I can or cannot access via safari. I can go to whatever website I wish to go to. About the only thing they restrict is the Apps you can buy but that's their right as a private company. And you know what? Most people don't really mind.

I don't know what you are talking about with "lifestyles" since they don't have anything to do with how I live my life.
Private company doesn't mean that they should have so much control over what people do or don't with devices that are an important part of people's life. If Apple wants to protect children they can use parental restrictions, and that's a good thing, but It's offensive to tell adults what they can or can't download when it's all legal.

Instead of censure, Apple should try to come out with a phone that's innovative instead of just being a bit longer than the one they had already man years ago.

I'm glad I stopped using IOS, and I love the alternatives.
__________________
www.princigalli.com
princigalli is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:46 AM   #34
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a
 
chrisrosemusic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Wow, 6 seconds of porn? Is that enough for some people?? -_- Get real Apple ffs, who gives a damn.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" April 2014 i5 1.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 256GB SSD iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey iPad Air 32GB Space Grey Playstation 4
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:59 AM   #35
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
If you don't think being addicted is a problem, consider the amount of extra time you wish you had each day vs. the amount of time spent watching porn.
What, two minutes?
NutsNGum is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:22 AM   #36
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Yawn. Apple need to grow a pair. Porn exists. Deal with it.
__________________
roadbloc is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:49 AM   #37
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a
 
SBlue1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Try this: don't look at any porn for two weeks. Many addicts don't realize they're addicts until they attempt and fail that challenge.
If you don't think being addicted is a problem, consider the amount of extra time you wish you had each day vs. the amount of time spent watching porn.

Porn is a problem. It's much much too easy to become addicted, very difficult to recover from the addition, and it shouldn't be possible to find it without knowing what it is and actively seeking it out.

More on topic: how did this mistake come about? It sounds to me like a staff person must have been watching this content at some point while at work and will likely be fired as a result.
wow, i knew americans are prude, but is this comment real?
SBlue1 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:14 AM   #38
The Phazer
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
What? Last I checked, Apple doesn't tell me what data I can or cannot access via safari.
Of course they do. They blocked Flash, which means the only way to do proper playlisting so you can sell advertising inventory or secure video delivery so you can sell access was to distribute via applications. That had a major economic effect on what people could or couldn't offer you in Safari.

They also, for example, control the push notification framework. Want to run an online dating site or social network for kinksters that does something as innocuous as push notifications of new messages? Blocked.
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:21 AM   #39
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Jesus Christ people, you have really derailed this thread. Apple is a POS for taking away one app because you could search for porn and not this. This app has porn, what I consider to be true porn; even at 6 seconds.

I'm surprised this is still in the App Store. I have the app and the porn doesn't offend me because its not required that I search for it. The editor's pick ending up in the feed is worse than 500 px any day of the week. Apple needs to eat crow and return one app or get rid of the other.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:30 AM   #40
M-O
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
i don't get vine. nor do i care to.
M-O is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:48 AM   #41
pdjudd
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Plymouth, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Of course they do. They blocked Flash, which means the only way to do proper playlisting so you can sell advertising inventory or secure video delivery so you can sell access was to distribute via applications. That had a major economic effect on what people could or couldn't offer you in Safari.
I was talking about the internet specifically. Apple by the way never "blocked" flash. Adobe never offered it and Apple never designed it and for good reason. But not offering a plugin doesn't equal controlling what data you can get access to - that's a technical limitation.


Quote:
They also, for example, control the push notification framework. Want to run an online dating site or social network for kinksters that does something as innocuous as push notifications of new messages? Blocked.
Application framework is 100% private and has nothing to so with what I was talking about. I specifically said that they control the application market which they have the right to do.

My point is that Apple doesn't "nanny" the internet via safari at all. They do not limit the websites that you can access. Not all of them may work but Apple doesn't stop you from getting to them.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Private company doesn't mean that they should have so much control over what people do or don't with devices that are an important part of people's life. If Apple wants to protect children they can use parental restrictions, and that's a good thing, but It's offensive to tell adults what they can or can't download when it's all legal.
Apple doesn't censor Safari. They censor the App Store - they are a private company and can legally do that. You know that going in and that is a choice that they have every right to make. It is not offensive to define the terms. Nobody has to buy an iPhone. That is a choice. Apple censors their private App store because they want to create and sell a specific experience. It's their rodeo.

Quote:
Instead of censure, Apple should try to come out with a phone that's innovative instead of just being a bit longer than the one they had already man years ago.
Oh yes! Its the "Apple doesn't innovate" argument nonsense.

Quote:
I'm glad I stopped using IOS, and I love the alternatives.
Good for you! Thats how the free market is supposed to work!

Last edited by pdjudd; Jan 29, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:52 AM   #42
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
Oh yes! Its the "Apple doesn't innovate" argument nonsense.

They did innovate in 2007 with the Iphone, and then with the Ipad and OSX, but when have you seen innovation with their phones in the last years? Most people I know consider Iphones to be totally boring.
__________________
www.princigalli.com
princigalli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:08 AM   #43
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
So do you have any cites to back up the remainder of your post? And if you are going to cite scientific studies, they should be real studies that do real research (not compilation studies) that show that porn is highly addictive (more so than other common addictions) and is objectively easy to be exposed to accidentally (than say, common violence, or the internet in general
I have these:

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2004/11/65772

... and the other article I unfortunately saved nowhere and I can't actually find... it was a blog post on cracked.com which is where I got the two week challenge to determine whether you're an addict or not in my initial post. It wasn't the most rigorous of studies but it showed that somewhere around 90% of men and 30% of women are incapable of keeping themselves from viewing porn for two or more weeks (as I recall they found 10 days was when most people break down.) If you're incapable of not doing it, then you're addicted to it.

But that's besides the point. I'm not proposing that porn should be banned anymore than alcohol is. I am saying that viewing porn shouldn't be something that you can easily accidentally do. When I download an app from the app store, I should be confident that opening the app and tapping on something labeled a "staff pick" won't be porn. I should have to actively want and seek it out.
__________________
Don't tell me Macs don't last: 2007 iMac, 2007 Mac Mini, 2008 MacBook Air, all Vintage.
(iMac obsoletion: April 28, 2015, MBA: October 14, 2015, Mac Mini: March 9, 2016)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:11 AM   #44
chagla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
meanwhile there are thousands of "shooting" games, glorified killing games are roaming unchained on appstore. iUsers need policing by apple. lol.
__________________
Really cool Android apps: <> gesture search <> airdroid <> drivedroid <> unified remote <> swype <> mightytext <>
Highly useful/enhance your Android experience.
chagla is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:20 AM   #45
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I don't know much about vine but I presume pornographic images aren't allowed on it anyway? Most social sites dont allow it.

*edit* Ah nope, apparently nudity is fine on there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
When I download an app from the app store, I should be confident that opening the app and tapping on something labeled a "staff pick" won't be porn.
As crazy as you are, I do have to agree with this, just nothing else you've said.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:12 AM   #46
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I have these:

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2004/11/65772

... and the other article I unfortunately saved nowhere and I can't actually find... it was a blog post on cracked.com which is where I got the two week challenge to determine whether you're an addict or not in my initial post. It wasn't the most rigorous of studies but it showed that somewhere around 90% of men and 30% of women are incapable of keeping themselves from viewing porn for two or more weeks (as I recall they found 10 days was when most people break down.) If you're incapable of not doing it, then you're addicted to it.

But that's besides the point. I'm not proposing that porn should be banned anymore than alcohol is. I am saying that viewing porn shouldn't be something that you can easily accidentally do. When I download an app from the app store, I should be confident that opening the app and tapping on something labeled a "staff pick" won't be porn. I should have to actively want and seek it out.
Quote:
Internet pornography is the new crack cocaine, leading to addiction, misogyny, pedophilia, boob jobs and erectile dysfunction, according to clinicians and researchers testifying before a Senate committee Thursday.
And that's precisely where I stopped reading. I can't believe there are actually people thinking this or even taking bs like this seriously outside of Iran or something. Really baffles me.
SgtPepper12 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:23 AM   #47
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper12 View Post
And that's precisely where I stopped reading. I can't believe there are actually people thinking this or even taking bs like this seriously outside of Iran or something. Really baffles me.
Why don't you Google Porn-Induced Sexual Dysfunction and educate yourself before spouting off about the Iranian Revolution.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:53 AM   #48
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
If you don't think being addicted is a problem, consider the amount of extra time you wish you had each day vs. the amount of time spent watching porn.
Three minutes?
__________________
I write and draw Multiplex, an online comic about the staff of a movie theater. Now available in the App Store!
gmcalpin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:15 AM   #49
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Why don't you Google Porn-Induced Sexual Dysfunction and educate yourself before spouting off about the Iranian Revolution.
Because I don't know anybody with this Dysfunction, there are worse problems in the world. And it's not Apple's job to fix this.
__________________
www.princigalli.com
princigalli is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:37 AM   #50
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Because I don't know anybody with this Dysfunction, there are worse problems in the world. And it's not Apple's job to fix this.
Apple isn't trying to take your precious porn away. Nobody could even if they wanted to.

They have storefronts, the App Store and iTunes Store, and they don't want to sell porn in those storefronts. Just like JCPenny and Best Buy and just about every other retailer in the world. Most retailers want nothing to do with selling porn.

Not sure why that's so hard for people.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your editor of choice? sk3pt1c Web Design and Development 18 Jan 11, 2014 08:04 AM
Apple Debuts App Store Video Trailers in Latest Editor's Choice App MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 22 Nov 25, 2013 09:40 AM
Apple Releases New Video Featuring iTunes Festival 'Moments' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 48 Oct 9, 2013 05:18 PM
Help on choosing a editor? What's your editor of choice? Penny23 Web Design and Development 20 Apr 12, 2013 12:10 PM
Little Phoenix Interactive wins Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award LittlePhoenix iPad Apps 0 Mar 1, 2013 07:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC