Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
So when the JB comes out you have to install something on your PC first? You can't just JB from your phone? Will I have to reinstall all my apps again when I JB? Sorry for all the noobie questions.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
They're all amazingly reliable, but for first time jailbreakers, Absinthe and jailbreakme.com (which we will probably never see again) were the most simple as they didn't require the user to go into DFU mode. The software took care of everything. Redsn0w requires someone with more brain function than a rock to use.
I just JB'd my 4S on 5.1.1 using the latest Redsn0w and was surprised how easy and quick it was. Not like the old days at all. Plugged it in, ran Redsn0w and clicked one button (Jailbreak). Took just a minute and one reboot and there Cydia was ready to roll.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I haven't had a jailbroken device since iOS 3.1.2 on my iPod Touch. Would love to see what i missed in 4 years

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
So when the JB comes out you have to install something on your PC first? You can't just JB from your phone? Will I have to reinstall all my apps again when I JB? Sorry for all the noobie questions.

Every Jailbreak is different, nobody knows yet what tool the dev team will use for this particular jailbreak.... One year comex created a jailbreak which took advantage of a hole in Safari and we were able to jailbreak right from the phone by just going to a website..... All the other times it has been tools installed to your computer..... Some have been very simple where you just have to click a button and sit back.... some require interaction like putting your phone in DFU mode and following some on screen instructions.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden

You'll use a program on your computer, yes. It's merely a bridge in order to get the jailbreak to work. From there you can solely depend on the iPhone. For the most part.

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks guys. I thought I remembered the Safari one but wasn't sure.

I am excited at the thought of my first JB

PJ

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I just have one question . I want to keep buying my apps the legal way. Can I do this still, with Cydia on the device ? How will iTunes react to Cydia ?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I just have one question . I want to keep buying my apps the legal way. Can I do this still, with Cydia on the device ? How will iTunes react to Cydia ?

No change. Installous is shut down so you couldn't pirate apps from the phone if you tried :)

----------

I haven't had a jailbroken device since iOS 3.1.2 on my iPod Touch. Would love to see what i missed in 4 years

You've missed a lot.... Welcome back to the game ;)

----------

Maybe we get another jailbreak.me!!

Highly doubt we will ever see that again.

----------

I hope we can directly JB from the phone.

The only way to do that is by a Safari exploit and I'd imagine they're all plugged.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
No change. Installous is shut down so you couldn't pirate apps from the phone if you tried :) .

There are MANY MANY different places to pirate apps other than installous. appcake is just one example ( and yes it does have its own cydia app ), and I find it funny how happy people are that installous is down, when it actually had some form of morals. It didn't allow its users to make a profit off downloads, unlike many other site, like appcake that are still running.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
There are MANY MANY different places to pirate apps other than installous. appcake is just one example ( and yes it does have its own cydia app ), and I find it funny how happy people are that installous is down, when it actually had some form of morals. It didn't allow its users to make a profit off downloads, unlike many other site, like appcake that are still running.

I used Installous, but it's funny when they wouldn't allow uploaders to gain profit, but they could have ads on their word cache section before a download. Even better, I even seen their hidden ads on their actual app. I think I have a picture of it somewhere.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
No change. Installous is shut down so you couldn't pirate apps from the phone if you tried :)

----------

You've missed a lot.... Welcome back to the game ;)

----------

----------

The only way to do that is by a Safari exploit and I'd imagine they're all plugged.
So what happens when you sync with Cydia on ?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
And iTunes will just sync normally like they never were there ? It's strange really , are you guys sure there's no information sent over?

It's strange you're questioning us who seem to have more knowledge in this subject than you. If you're so paranoid, then don't jailbreak.

The only thing that won't sync to your iTunes is Pirated Apps, unless you download a Cydia tweak for that or use the Japanese programs that are out right now.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
It's strange you're questioning us who seem to have more knowledge in this subject than you. If you're so paranoid, then don't jailbreak.

The only thing that won't sync to your iTunes is Pirated Apps, unless you download a Cydia tweak for that or use the Japanese programs that are out right now.

Who said anything about questioning you? That post was specific for TJH becuase he is always trying to be over me about everything, I don't know what it is.

However, I sought to confirm a more clarified response than that. Actually if you look at my original post it wasn't answered on all points.

Am I allowed to think that there is a information exchange with iTunes when having a jailbroken device connected with it? I want legitimate answers. If you don't know, don't answer. I'am not being disrespectful I'm asking a simple question on the forums.

Why is everybody offended when it comes to my posts? This is the internet for crying out loud.

Last edited:

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Who said anything about questioning you? That post was specific for JTH becuase he is always trying to be over me about everything, I don't know what it is.

However, I sought to confirm a more clarified response than that. Actually if you look at my original post it wasn't answered on all points.

Am I allowed to think that there is a information exchange with iTunes when having a jailbroken device connected with it? I want legitimate answers. If you don't know, don't answer. I'am not being disrespectful I'm asking a simple question on the forums.

Why is everybody offended when it comes to my posts? This is the internet for crying out loud.

Just because you're jailbroken doesn't mean you can do anything iTunes related. You can still buy from iTunes. All jailbreaking does is allow Cydia to be installed so you can have tweaks and apps that Apple won't allow in the AppStore.

No one is offended, it's just annoying people don't use Google.

Plus who cares if information gets sent to Apple? Jailbreaking isn't illegal.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Just because you're jailbroken doesn't mean you can do anything iTunes related. You can still buy from iTunes. All jailbreaking does is allow Cydia to be installed so you can have tweaks and apps that Apple won't allow in the AppStore.

No one is offended, it's just annoying people don't use Google.

Plus who cares if information gets sent to Apple? Jailbreaking isn't illegal.

Not offended, just a bit annoyed, it's because of your earlier posts, we spend a lot of time solving problems for people, its doesn't help if we have a lot of NAY-sayers and doubters, it means more work for the rest of us.

Self-education is till beter than us spelling it out. On top of that most questions can be answered by useing google or on this forum.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Not offended, just a bit annoyed, it's because of your earlier posts, we spend a lot of time solving problems for people, its doesn't help if we have a lot of NAY-sayers and doubters, it means more work for the rest of us.

Self-education is till beter than us spelling it out. On top of that most questions can be answered by useing google or on this forum.

So what are the forums for if I'm not allowed to ask these types of questions?
We're supposed to spew out lists of tweaks and apps, is that the only purpose of these forums?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Isn't it illegal now for tablets?

Supposedly, but I wouldn't worry one bit about getting caught.

So what are the forums for if I'm not allowed to ask these types of questions?
We're supposed to spew out lists of tweaks and apps, is that the only purpose of these forums?

In 2099, I was going to buy a BlackBerry and "crack berry" it. Then I googled information on a "crack" for the iPhone, which pointed me to jailbreaking, which then pointed me to information on what jailbreaking is, safe or not, etc.

All I'm getting at is either search Google or search the forums before asking a silly question about "information being sent".

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Supposedly, but I wouldn't worry one bit about getting caught.

In 2099, I was going to buy a BlackBerry and "crack berry" it. Then I googled information on a "crack" for the iPhone, which pointed me to jailbreaking, which then pointed me to information on what jailbreaking is, safe or not, etc.

All I'm getting at is either search Google or search the forums before asking a silly question about "information being sent".
no-stupid-questions-or-answers.jpg

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway

Yes you can, its very easy to pirate apps directly on the iPhone still. You don't have to, just do like you are used to without a jailbreak to do it legally.

And to safari exploit, sure we can see that again. WebKit is riddled with bugs to pick from. They don't like to make those jailbreaks because they are easy to modify into driveby attacks (has never happened to any of the jailbreak devs knowhow, but) so apple releases a update for those faster than anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.