Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Yes I know this has been done a lot of times but I didn't want to bump the older threads.

But are the new black iphone 5's flawless as of februari 2013 . No scuffs, blemishes, chips, nicks, dings, dents or any other stuff. If the new ones fresh from the factory still have these issues then I might go for the white one or none at all.

thunderstorm

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
England, UK
Yes I know this has been done a lot of times but I didn't want to bump the older threads.

But are the new black iphone 5's flawless as of februari 2013 . No scuffs, blemishes, chips, nicks, dings, dents or any other stuff. If the new ones fresh from the factory still have these issues then I might go for the white one or none at all.

Hi, I got mine from the Apple online store in September and it was absolutely fine, but I've got another one coming tomorrow for my mum so I'll check it and let you know :cool:

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Hi, I got mine from the Apple online store in September and it was absolutely fine, but I've got another one coming tomorrow for my mum so I'll check it and let you know :cool:

Alright. If you could do that that would be very helpful

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

It's not even february yet??????

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

It's not February yet. How do we know?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple did have a setback from its iPhone production from the manufacturing strike. I can assure you that iPhone 5's are manufactured flawlessly and checked. Over time as you use the phone, you will drop it, hit it....etc.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I can assure you that iPhone 5's are manufactured flawlessly and checked.

This statement is wishful thinking, and little, if any fact.

While it was true years ago Apple that had an excellent quality control system in place, today it's been crushed by the burden of ultra high volume mass production, and Apple's burning desire to rake in the profits at warp speed.

My company ordered a few hundred iPhone 5's and the greater majority all suffered from the well know scratches, all of which came right out of the box. As a result, they released an internal company memo instructing us to _not_ complain as they had no interest in executing that many returns.

In the overall scheme of things it's simply best to get into acceptance that Apple is a mass market retailer now, that's no better than the rest.

You'll feel much better, if you maintain that frame of mind. :)

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
In the overall scheme of things it's simply best to get into acceptance that Apple is a mass market retailer now, that's no better than the rest.

You'll feel much better, if you maintain that frame of mind. :)

It would feel much better to accept that if the price for the phone was the same as other mass market products and not the premium price we now pay that in my mind should entitle us to a higher build quality/finish than the cheaper phones. :rolleyes:

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
I picked up a new white IP5 from the apple store, here is what happened:
> First one had a scratch on the chamfered edge
> Second one had black dots near the top (would not rub off)
> Third one was perfect.

Still a lottery dudes months on...

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011

You are from the future?

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Just get one and if it's not to your liking, send it back.

----------

For what it's worth, I would say it's been addressed by now. Apple acknowledged it (READ: I said acknowledged it as in they publicly made reference to it NOT that they said they had fixed it):

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...5-scratching-normal-for-any-aluminum-product/

...so I'm sure there were some behind-the-scenes changes made. This is not uncommon for any manufacturing process. They don't have to (and they don't) tell the consumer every time a small change in the process is made. If they did, they would have people who otherwise were not planning on complaining about it returning their phones for new "more scratch resistant" ones...

No, they quietly make a small tweak to the process and keep moving. This is likely what has happened to address the suffing issue. I personally tend to think they had a bad production run or two... I've had two iPhone 5 units and neither had any scuffing issues. I truely believe that an issue exists, but I feel it's more isolated and likey has been addressed by now.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It would feel much better to accept that if the price for the phone was the same as other mass market products and not the premium price we now pay that in my mind should entitle us to a higher build quality/finish than the cheaper phones. :rolleyes:

I most certainly agree.

However Apple is a powerhouse with tremendous influence. Nothing if not clever, they know exactly how much their customers will tolerate, and therefore have no reason to do anymore than be sure to put the Apple logo on it :)

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I confirm that the issue is still not fixed. I bought today a iPhone 5 and only on the third one I got a flawless one. Not good.

The second one besides the scratches, it was also bent.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
no issues here. My black/slate phone was flawless out of the box. I guess I got lucky.
Here are my Apple lottery results,
iphone 5 Winner! :D
iPad 4 and iPad mini, Not so good. :eek:

MarkMissoula

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
Got mine 3 weeks ago from apple store but not before opening 3 others and finding slight imperfections. The person i worked with was great and said no problem. Funny thing is i probably would of never looked so close in the first place if i hadn't read all the OCD threads on MacRumors before-hand.
I am loving it compared to my iphone 4!

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Nope, original one was not getting LTE, Apple replaced. 3 weeks later I was going in and out of WiFi, Apple tested and replaced, also that one was missing paint.

The last one I got from Apple this past Saturday seems to be ok as far as paint, and WiFi and LTE both work well, but I noticed a lot more apps crash on this one, even setting up as new, I have trouble with words with friends, 7OnLine news app, and FaceBook crashes once a day.

I am living with it now, only because all of the non functioning issues are gone WiFi and LTE, but who knows what is going on. People here at my job are having 5050 with theirs, some do and some do not? I know we have nearly 60 in my building.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
These threads have just become funny at this point.

If you open the phone (and to your horror) there's a teeny tiny scratch that ruins your life: RETURN IT! No one can guarantee ANY mass produced product will be flawless out of the box, even if they believe there's was (and I promise if you gave some members here fifteen minutes with a microfiber cloth, light, and magnifying glass they could find plenty of "flaws" with it anyway...).

Apple has the most generous return policy out there for cell phones. they even let you take it home and scour over it for weeks before permanently sticking you with it.

If that's not enough time to find any life altering flaws, maybe a $199 phone isn't for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.