Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:17 AM   #26
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I've now used it a total of 3 times. I used it this weekend when I didn't want to haul my fat ass up 6 steps to get my phone off the bed. /shrug
I use what I use.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:40 AM   #27
litfuel
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook123 View Post
Question: Why does Apple not offer a version without back-facing camera? I have never talked to anybody about it who has ever used this camera. It seems a complete waste of resources. I'd buy a $5 cheaper iPad without this camera without hesitation.

I also wonder this: how much do the 16 GB extra in the 32 GB storage version cost Apple compared to that camera? Most people I know (myself included) would much prefer having getting that upgrade for free in return for losing the camera.

There surely must be a reason why Apple is still putting the camera in there I fail to see. Please enlighten me.
bull, i use it all the time, I have chase as my bank and there is an app that lets me scan pics using the rear camera. I also use it to take quick pics and then upload them on safari. Think twice before making comments just because YOU don't use something.
litfuel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:57 AM   #28
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Its also used for augmented reality, taking photos of things for the Ebay app, QR codes, photos of documents, etc etc. Just because YOU don't use it, doesn't mean it its useless.

They need to start teaching people about opinions in schools and how they aren't facts.
Kissaragi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:08 AM   #29
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502

One day I was out on a job site. I notice a poor job done on some of the construction and installation of wiring throughout the building.

I took pictures, made annotations, and emailed the files to business owner with that rear facing camera on my iPad mini.

I could have done the same thing on my iPhone but it is much easier on that bigger screen.
Kashsystems is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:19 AM   #30
Corax
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Corax
Is don't use it a lot, and it isn't my main camera for shooting video footage or photographs, but I use it now and then when my camera isn't brought with me, but I do use it quite often during Facetime and Skype, it's very handy to have that feature, so you don't have to turn the device to show someone or something, that's awkward because when you turn the device you don't see the screen, thus cannot aim!
Corax is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:30 AM   #31
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

People like cameras and I see people taking photos with their ipads when I'm out. The camera is good for banking apps, facetime, skype, etc. as well.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 AM   #32
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I was watching the Pro Bowl last night,
You were watching the Pro Bowl? Really? You didn't have any wet paint around that you could watch dry?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:47 AM   #33
poloponies
macrumors 68030

The camera is also not for me, but it's ridiculous to expect Apple to create yet more SKUs for models without cameras. There are lots of professionals who benefit from the camera, for example, those in the construction trades. It greatly simplifies the field reporting process. And the last time I had a home inspection the inspector walked around with a clipboard and a camera, then copied went to his car to type out a report on his laptop (after transferring photos from his camera) and printed it on the spot. That process can be streamlined with an iPad. So it may not be for all, but it's certainly not without its uses.
poloponies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM   #34
bufffilm
macrumors 6502

as others have already pointed out, the camera is very useful for facetiming and when an impromptu photo is needed. i don't have an iphone, but have a dedicated camera but i rarely take that with me on an every day basis. in the last 3 months i've used the ipad camera to take photos of a defective product to send to customer service and yesterday, i needed to take some snapshots of an error message on an LED panel to send to tech support.

are you serious that you'd rather buy an camera-less ipad if it meant saving $5?! sounds penny-wise and pound-foolish - more and more apps are leveraging the camera for other uses. don't be so quick to write-off a feature that you might actually use down the road.

Quote:
Question: Why does Apple not offer a version without back-facing camera? I have never talked to anybody about it who has ever used this camera. It seems a complete waste of resources. I'd buy a $5 cheaper iPad without this camera without hesitation.

I also wonder this: how much do the 16 GB extra in the 32 GB storage version cost Apple compared to that camera? Most people I know (myself included) would much prefer having getting that upgrade for free in return for losing the camera.

There surely must be a reason why Apple is still putting the camera in there I fail to see. Please enlighten me.
bufffilm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:02 AM   #35
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Heck, if anything, I wish they'd go ahead and toss a flash on the back to support the rear camera.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
you were watching the pro bowl? Really? You didn't have any wet paint around that you could watch dry?
Nice.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:04 AM   #36
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular

I use it a lot, for ebay/QR as well as some other apps. It's also very useful, for photocopying a document, to have on a bigger screen.
Marjamrob1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 AM   #37
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Quote:
Question: Why does Apple not offer a version without back-facing camera? I have never talked to anybody about it who has ever used this camera. It seems a complete waste of resources.
I use it all the time for sharing stuff on paper with others and adding things to presentations. Students use it to share notes and doodles, other people use it when they randomly need a camera.

Quote:
I'd buy a $5 cheaper iPad without this camera without hesitation.
It would still be priced the same without a camera.

Quote:
How much more does a 32 GB chip cost compared to a 16 GB one? Virtually nothing. You seem to be under the impression that the market price is decided from the cost of the raw parts, but that is not how the real world works. Apple would price the 32 GB a hundred bucks higher even if the 32 GB chip was cheaper than the 16 GB chip.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:20 AM   #38
7thson
macrumors 6502

Apples not real big on giving you many options on their iOS devices. They really shook it up a bit by giving the touch more color options. I think you are in the vast minority of people that would choose a camera-less iPad to save $5. There are a lot of apps that would be useless without that camera, so there would be fragmentation, and we all know how Apple feels about fragmentation.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular

It does take good pictures, and it's easy to keep stable. Plus you can use PS Elements directly, which is nice.
Marjamrob1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:06 PM   #40
BigDukeSix
macrumors 6502a

I use mine primarily for skype or facetime, to show stuff to people that I am talking to. Also, if that is all I have and I need to take a pic, I do not give an F what anyone thinks about how I look using it as such. I love having the option.

Last edited by BigDukeSix; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
BigDukeSix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:12 PM   #41
Skygunner27
macrumors member

Retarded.....

I own a D800, and find myself using the iPad's rear camera often. Especially in iMessage.

I could care less what someone else thinks when I use it to take pics. I also have a iPhone 5, I find that my iPad 4's rear camera handles low-light situations better than my iPhone 5's rear camera.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:28 PM   #42
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yep

Quote:

It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. I've mostly seen them at spring training games, and I quietly wish a foul ball hit right at the idiots holding their iPads in the air.

I've seen people hold them up during conferences, record piano recitals, etc.

I guess the best camera is what you have with you, but man...
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:13 PM   #43
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

I use my iPad camera a LOT.

My iPad is mainly a work tool. As an engineer, I use it almost daily to take pictures.
  • I use it to take pictures of whiteboard sketches and notes during meetings.
  • I take photos of large drawings so I can look at them while on the computer without having to have my entire sek taken up by architectural prints.
  • I can take photos while on a building walk through & then show them to clients/ contractors on site (ever take a cell phone pic, or use a point & shoot camera LCD to show a group of 4-5 construction workers photos? A 9.7" screen works great for this.)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:26 PM   #44
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. I've mostly seen them at spring training games, and I quietly wish a foul ball hit right at the idiots holding their iPads in the air.

I've seen people hold them up during conferences, record piano recitals, etc.

I guess the best camera is what you have with you, but man...
It must suck being that concerned about what other people think of you.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:56 PM   #45
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I was watching the Pro Bowl last night, and during one of the interviews there was a fan in the background that lifted up her iPad to take a picture.

I wouldn't use it, but other people do.
Haha. I was at the Pro Bowl and the woman in front of me had her full size Ipad taking pictures, and as if the ipad wasn't big enough she was holding it up with the case draping down so it basically covered the size of two ipads. I almost grabbed the damn thing and tossed it on the field, but then I realized I was watching the Pro Bowl and it wasn't very interesting
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:59 PM   #46
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknapp0924 View Post
Haha. I was at the Pro Bowl and the woman in front of me had her full size Ipad taking pictures, and as if the ipad wasn't big enough she was holding it up with the case draping down so it basically covered the size of two ipads. I almost grabbed the damn thing and tossed it on the field, but then I realized I was watching the Pro Bowl and it wasn't very interesting
So your default would have been violence instead of just talking to her?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:04 PM   #47
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Yes I agree its quite usless, folks just use it because its there.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:09 PM   #48
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Which meas that its useful.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:14 PM   #49
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
So your default would have been violence instead of just talking to her?
Yeah,

Thats how we do things here in Hawaii. Haha. Of course I would not have resorted to violence or would I have thrown her Ipad, that would be abuse to an Apple product and I could never do that.

wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:14 PM   #50
Marjamrob1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
It is very useful, whether or not people just use it because it is there, it is still useful. On a side note, people trying to use them at events is very irritating.
Marjamrob1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad