Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Would I be able to swap my SSD from my imac into my Macbook? I don't care about the info on the macbook HDD.

Basically, with the SSD installed, everything would be exactly the same as it was on my imac?

Imac is late 09 and macbook is late 08 aluminum body.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Thanks, I wouldn't need to reformat the SSD correct? I wasn't sure if OSX is optimized differently on a macbook vs. imac.

I just wanted a quick switcharoo and not have to use CCC.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks, I wouldn't need to reformat the SSD correct? I wasn't sure if OSX is optimized differently on a macbook vs. imac.

I just wanted a quick switcharoo and not have to use CCC.

No need to format, as Mac OS X is optimised for all the Macs it can run on and it even includes the drivers for those.
Your 2008 MBP came with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and your 2009 iMac probably came with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (if it is the late 2009 iMac), thus the SSD running the newer OS will have drivers for the older hardware.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
No need to format, as Mac OS X is optimised for all the Macs it can run on and it even includes the drivers for those.
Your 2008 MBP came with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and your 2009 iMac probably came with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (if it is the late 2009 iMac), thus the SSD running the newer OS will have drivers for the older hardware.

Great. Thanks for the quick replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.