Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 AM   #51
Sayer
macrumors 6502a
 
Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
Not everyone who watches porn is an addict who constantly watches it and can't go a day without it. It's like saying that anyone who has a drink with dinner is a raging alcoholic. Don't take away booze because some people can't control their addictions, and don't take away porn because some people can't control their addictions.
Not everyone who owns a hand gun is a homicidal maniac who constantly shoots people and can't go a day without killing some one. It's like saying that anyone who has a so-called assault rifle is a homicidal maniac. Don't take away guns because some people can't control their psychotic behavior, and don't take away so-called assault rifles because some people can't follow the laws of the land and become criminals.
__________________
Obama is a true statesman whose experience as a state senator, half-term US Senator & guest lecturer in a Constitutional Law class has fully prepared him to take control of our nuclear arsenal.-Me
Sayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM   #52
pietrociao
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Porn is addictive, degrading and dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
So do you have any cites to back up the remainder of your post? And if you are going to cite scientific studies, they should be real studies that do real research (not compilation studies) that show that porn is highly addictive (more so than other common addictions) and is objectively easy to be exposed to accidentally (than say, common violence, or the internet in general - both which can be addictive) and the difficulty to recover compared to other addictions (like physical addictions like smoking, drugs, drinking, etc).

If you want to make sweeping claims about something, you need to provide evidence.

Porn can be harmful. So can many other things. Porn is not a disease that you can catch by looking at it. Addiction is the disease that should be treated.
Please read this, there are plenty of studies: Drug of the New Millennium: Pornography 500mg -- http://www.amazon.com/Drug-New-Mille...new+millennium

and about how harmful and degrading it is for those women working in the porn industry, please visit https://www.thepinkcross.org/

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
Cite please. And anything coming from people who have a known bias against porn is not a valid cite.



Legally and practically no it is not. There is a reason that pornographers do not get convicted for prostitution (its been tried before) is based on freedom of speech - a movie involving actors who following a narrative is different from a john picking up a random girl on the street (something that I see as little different from the intention of most dates).

Please visit https://www.thepinkcross.org/ to see how harmful it is, how different the industry is from what you think.

And about addiction there are many studies presented in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Drug-New-Mille...new+millennium
pietrociao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:26 AM   #53
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Welcome to the POLICE STATE of Apple!
Violators will be summarily executed!



Q, how many chose Android becuase of Apples stance on porn?
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:40 AM   #54
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrociao View Post
Please read this, there are plenty of studies: Drug of the New Millennium: Pornography 500mg -- http://www.amazon.com/Drug-New-Mille...new+millennium

and about how harmful and degrading it is for those women working in the porn industry, please visit https://www.thepinkcross.org/
Porn is just a symptom, not the cause.

Their are endless pictures and videos of women (and men) on tape having sex, be it money or just enjoyment.

Those who are discovered loose jobs, careers, are given the scarlet letter.

Of course the men are given high fives (see Ron Jeremy).

Yes, pornography has unfortunate downsides, but is minor next to how a society treats women and views sex in general.

(long ago I read an article that suggest porn releases sexual tension, actually reduces rape and violence to women. Quick search seems to support that)


.... I think this should be moved to Social issues forum.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:42 PM   #55
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
I am OK with this because now Apple has room to feature my app instead!
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:05 PM   #56
pietrociao
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
The problem with porn is not that it shows too much, but that it shows too little..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

(long ago I read an article that suggest porn releases sexual tension, actually reduces rape and violence to women. Quick search seems to support that)
Many more studies reported in that book actually prove the opposite. Also, porn always leads to objectify women, seeing them as a source of pleasure, a collection of body parts. The problem with porn is not that it shows too much, but that it shows too little of the beauty of women by reducing them to physical attributes used for excitement. If you do porn it becomes harder to have real intimate relationships based on true love. Yes, we have instincts, but I real man is the one that can dominate them.

I agree with you about this thread going off-topic.
pietrociao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:45 PM   #57
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrociao View Post
Many more studies reported in that book actually prove the opposite. Also, porn always leads to objectify women, seeing them as a source of pleasure, a collection of body parts. The problem with porn is not that it shows too much, but that it shows too little of the beauty of women by reducing them to physical attributes used for excitement. If you do porn it becomes harder to have real intimate relationships based on true love. Yes, we have instincts, but I real man is the one that can dominate them.

I agree with you about this thread going off-topic.
I do not disagree with you,
however I think the much bigger issue is a society that objectifies women to a massive scale, and makes sex the ultimate goal at any cost.
I see little difference between a porn actress and one in very tiny, sexy clothing selling some product or other (at least the porn actress is honest about the message).

(To be clear, simply being nude does not equate to porn. Swimming or sunbathing nude for instance)
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:08 PM   #58
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
This is one reason why I'm moving away from iOS. Seriously. Apple treats its users like children.

I have this on my Nexus 7, it's brilliant. The fact I can't get it on my iPhone because Apple thinks that after paying them craploads of money they need to shelter me from sexuality pisses me off, and navigating full size, non-mobile optimised social networking interfaces on a smartphone is just irritating.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Apple isn't trying to take your precious porn away. Nobody could even if they wanted to.

They have storefronts, the App Store and iTunes Store, and they don't want to sell porn in those storefronts. Just like JCPenny and Best Buy and just about every other retailer in the world. Most retailers want nothing to do with selling porn.

Not sure why that's so hard for people.
Which would be fine if Apple didn't limit customers to only buying apps from those storefronts, but they do.

It's also quite hypocritical when they sell Fifty Shades in the iBooks Store.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:36 PM   #59
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
It's also quite hypocritical when they sell Fifty Shades in the iBooks Store.
Fiction typically isn't seen as pornographic (even when it is). It has a higher bar to cross. That's just the way that turned out for whatever reason. You'll find that book in tons of stores that would never dream of selling Hustler.

Ultimately, it's about what the company is comfortable with selling and customers will punish or reward the company with where they take their business.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:41 PM   #60
lazard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
so when is Apple gonna remove Safari? I found a lot of porn on it.
lazard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:45 PM   #61
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Fiction typically isn't seen as pornographic (even when it is). It has a higher bar to cross. That's just the way that turned out for whatever reason. You'll find that book in tons of stores that would never dream of selling Hustler.

Ultimately, it's about what the company is comfortable with selling and customers will punish or reward the company with where they take their business.
Visual porn is fiction too, like James Bond. Just because it's a picture or a video doesn't make it non-fiction.

If anything Fifty Shades is probably more explicit than whatever porn was in that app, unless said porn was sourced from Kink.com.

I dunno about you but I reward companies who let me access whatever content I want on my own devices.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:39 PM   #62
Mactendo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
In the last 40 years western people were made believe that violence, killings and death is more acceptable than sex. Violence is everywhere: from daily news to TV series, movies and computer games. And while kids are growing up getting used to it, while such movies as Saw appears on big screen, the Big Brother pushes and pushes the idea that porn (a depiction of sex) is such a sick, pervert and prohibited thing.
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:05 AM   #63
princigalli
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Italy, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
Apple isn't trying to take your precious porn away. Nobody could even if they wanted to.

They have storefronts, the App Store and iTunes Store, and they don't want to sell porn in those storefronts. Just like JCPenny and Best Buy and just about every other retailer in the world. Most retailers want nothing to do with selling porn.

Not sure why that's so hard for people.
Avoid making assumptions about people. Just because you have issues, don't involve tother people. Don't tell people what's precious for them or not. It's your personal problem.
__________________
www.princigalli.com

Last edited by princigalli; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
princigalli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:52 AM   #64
novatwin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”

― John Lennon
novatwin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:34 AM   #65
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by princigalli View Post
Avoid making assumptions about people. Just because you have issues, don't involve tother people. Don't tell people what's precious for them or not. It's your personal problem.
I have issues? What issues do I have, doctor?
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your editor of choice? sk3pt1c Web Design and Development 18 Jan 11, 2014 08:04 AM
Apple Debuts App Store Video Trailers in Latest Editor's Choice App MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 22 Nov 25, 2013 09:40 AM
Apple Releases New Video Featuring iTunes Festival 'Moments' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 48 Oct 9, 2013 05:18 PM
Help on choosing a editor? What's your editor of choice? Penny23 Web Design and Development 20 Apr 12, 2013 12:10 PM
Little Phoenix Interactive wins Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award LittlePhoenix iPad Apps 0 Mar 1, 2013 07:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC