Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deprecation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a bluetooth keyboard to go along with my MacBook Pro (so I can use a stand with it). Which ones do you think are best?

Deprecation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
That's the one I was thinking about getting. The only thing that bugs me is that it lacks backlighting. Has that been an issue for you at all?

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I just bought the new Logitech K811 Easy Switch bluetooth keyboard. Lovin' it so far. Looks like the Apple keyboard with aluminum chassis but has black keys to match my iMac and they are backlit. You can manually set brightness level or leave it on auto. Rechargeable as well and includes USB cord for recharging.

I ordered mine direct from Logitech as nobody seemed to stock it yet. (brand new model) This is designed for Mac and has the Mac keys. It can also easy switch between 3 x bluetooth devices so you can quickly use it for iMac, iPad, iPhone.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produ...y-Switch_Keyboard_for_Mac,_iPad_and_iPhone|hp

Cheers!

P.S. Not to be confused with the similar looking K810 which is designed for Windows.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
That's the one I was thinking about getting. The only thing that bugs me is that it lacks backlighting. Has that been an issue for you at all?

I don't find the lack of backlighting an issue. I actually appreciate it because otherwise I would be changing the batteries way more often. I guess it depends on your taste/typing style. If you look at the keyboard when you are typing, I could see where the backlighting would be helpful. Maybe try using your macbook without the backlighting and see how you like it?

Deprecation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I just bought the new Logitech K811 Easy Switch bluetooth keyboard. Lovin' it so far. Looks like the Apple keyboard with aluminum chassis but has black keys to match my iMac and they are backlit. You can manually set brightness level or leave it on auto. Rechargeable as well and includes USB cord for recharging.

I ordered mine direct from Logitech as nobody seemed to stock it yet. (brand new model) This is designed for Mac and has the Mac keys. It can also easy switch between 3 x bluetooth devices so you can quickly use it for iMac, iPad, iPhone.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produ...y-Switch_Keyboard_for_Mac,_iPad_and_iPhone|hp

Cheers!

P.S. Not to be confused with the similar looking K810 which is designed for Windows.

I was actually considering that one as well. Does it feel nice to type on it? I might consider it if it becomes in stock at Amazon.

----------

I don't find the lack of backlighting an issue. I actually appreciate it because otherwise I would be changing the batteries way more often. I guess it depends on your taste/typing style. If you look at the keyboard when you are typing, I could see where the backlighting would be helpful. Maybe try using your macbook without the backlighting and see how you like it?

Yeah, I really like the looks of the keyboard, but I'm just not sure if it would be hard to see at some points in the day. Thanks for your thoughts though.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

Cheers!

Picked mine up at Office Depot for $99. Simply amazing.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

Cheers!

How's the battery life ?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

Cheers!

How thick is it & how shallow is key travel? What are the dimensions for width & depth?

Sadly the spec page doesn't list these facts.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
I've been looking hard at the Logitech K811 Easy Switch as well. I like the aluminum and black they went with (when is Apple going to switch out the anachronistic white keycaps on their BT keyboard?), the backlight and I absolutely love the idea of a switch to easily swap between computers, but there are a couple things that have me a little hung up.

First, how do the keys feel? From looking at the pictures, they look a little small. Or is that because of the way they rounded out the corners on the keycaps? Do they keys have some concavity or are they completely flat?

Battery. I don't like the idea of rechargeable, non-swappable batteries. AAs will be around forever. In 3 years time, will this keyboard still be functional or will it be gathering dust somewhere because the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore?

For reference, the Logitech K811 here in Korea with Korean lettering is roughly $135, the Apple Wireless is roughly $85.

dreamerdonkey

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Bangladesh
You don't tell us about your typing skill. If you can touch and type then the look of the keyboard is negligible. Just think about your comfort of type. I prefer big key board that have numeric key with it but that's totally my opinion. You know the good brand name, visit there website and pick what you like :D

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Logitech solar k760, also has 3 functions for switching between 3 devices, in my case 2 iPads and Air. This and no batteries make up for the only flaw ... It's not so firm to type on as the Apple BT keyboard, a bit clicky and plastic-y, but the design is otherwise similar and it has shallow key travel which I like. The solar is great, lasts for months and can even recharge in artificial light.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I see a lot of questions about the keys, spacing, etc. so I'll try to answer them as best I can. Key spacing is similar to the Apple keyboard and key travel is slightly longer with a better feel.

I am a touch typist and I think this keyboard is much better than Apple's keyboard. The tops of the keys are ever so slightly concave which centres your fingers a little better. Just my opinion.

Here's a link to a great review of the keyboard and the statement below from the review sums it up pretty well.

"The K811 is a must-have bluetooth keyboard if you're an iMac user"

http://www.gadgetmac.com/reviews/logitech-bluetooth-easy-switch-k811-keyboard-for-mac-review.html

Cheers!

P.S. Can't answer battery life questions as I've only had the keyboard for two days. It is supposed to last over a week of heavy use on a charge according to Logitech. It does work with the USB cable plugged in so no worries on dead battery. To save power the keyboard shuts off the backlighting automatically when not in use and as soon as you put your hands over the keyboard they light up again before you even touch the keys. Neat trick!

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The title for the best BT keyboard goes to either the old white Apple Extended Wireless Keyboard or the Matias Laptop Pro. The Laptop Pro appears to be the best thing since sliced bread (March production fully sold-out), so you'll have to preorder it for delivery in May if you want one.
HT3903_6-White_Wired_Kbd-Hero-001-mul.png
1.jpg

If you don't like either, the Logitech K811 Switch-Easy backlit, K760 Switch-Easy solar and K750 solar are for you.
logitech_k811_mac_bluetooth_illuminated_keyboard.jpg
JWKO0SO.jpg
1022150465.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.