Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I was wondering if there are any recommendations for receiving calls on an wifi only iPad (or wifi Android tablet).

I've been using Talkatone along with a Google Voice number. The quality is horrific. And receiving calls seems to be broken at the moment.

I'm figuring that I will need a pay service for this. Not a problem. Here is what I've tried.

Ringcentral: I really like this service. Quality, customer support, is great. Can make outbound calls no problem. But no inbound calls - that was the deal breaker.

MagicJack: I was really surprised by this app because I hate their commercials & the salesman seems like a real shyster. But this app makes great quality calls. But cannot receive calls without paying. I know I said I would pay for inbound but before signing up, I wanted to see if any had used it before signing up.

Skype: I think it has the capability to receive inbound phone calls via a paid version. But I'm not familiar with it beyond the standard video Skype-to-Skype. Nor how good the quality is.

ObiHai: This requires a piece of hardware that resides on your home network. As far as I can tell, incoming VOIP calls are routed to it and then out to one's iPad. Not sure of the quality and hesitant to buy the device without more reviews.

Any other services: If others have their own recommendations, good or bad, I'd like to hear. Again, I don't have a problem with paid services. But want to avoid the pain of signing up and then canceling if the service doesn't work as advertised, or sucks. They always making signing up easy. And canceling very, very difficult and time-consuming.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Have you tried Facetime?

:)

Thanks for the suggestion. But Facetime I don't think will accept phone calls from a regular phone number.

What I'm looking for is the ability for someone to call from any phone...Android, iPhone, landline, payphone...and my iPad to ring.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think your challenge is trying to keep it all free. Spend a little money to get the better quality of Talkatone or the better quality of Skype. I use both and they are a great alternative to $100/month for AT&T service via iPhone.

In general, I use Talkatone for inbound calls. They almost always go to voice mail because I'm not much of a must get every call in real-time kind of guy. I usually call back via Skype because I think it yields the better outbound call quality. I think it's something like $30/year for Skype outbound to anyone in the U.S. or Canada (mobile or landlines). I've never felt the call quality was lower than what I would get at $100/month via AT&T service + iPhone.

I hear similarly good things about Vonage, MagicJack, etc. But spend a little money here to buy your way to the "premium" level of service. The call quality of the freebies tends to be "challenged" because the makers of these apps want to make some money on their hard work. $30/year for unlimited calls to landlines or mobile is quite a relative bargain compared to other quality options.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Thanks for the suggestion. But Facetime I don't think will accept phone calls from a regular phone number.

What I'm looking for is the ability for someone to call from any phone...Android, iPhone, landline, payphone...and my iPad to ring.

Look into TextNow + Voice. It's a darn good texting app; haven't tried out the voice aspect but relatives have, and tell me it works.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I think your challenge is trying to keep it all free. Spend a little money to get the better quality...

I have no problem spending for a service. Actually it was buried in my long lengthy post (third paragraph). My problem was really the pain is to sign up for service, then trying to cancel if I didn't like it. These services always make it so hard to cancel. Just wanted to get recommendations before signing up. And you've provided some good tips. I had forgot to look into vonage. Thanks.

I am curious about what you said about talkatone and Skype. Why use both? If Skype is better quality, why not use it for both inbound and out. Actually, more to the point of my post. I'm looking for high quality inbound calls.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Skype charges for texts but- IMO- seems to have better call quality.

Talkatone is free calls, free texts, etc and integrates with google voice for it's many advantages. If Talkatone calls sounded as good as Skype, I'd just use it for everything. Instead, I use the free version of Talkatone for almost everything but return calls via Skype.

I generally use Skype for video meetings, etc too so I'd still have- and use- both apps if I believed Talkatone had the same voice quality.

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
Magicjack is good.
Line2 has not been mentioned and it's good also.
Both of those are pay options but they're good.
Line2 also gives you texting whereas Magicjack is call only. However I do think Line2 is more expensive.

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Magicjack is good.
Line2 has not been mentioned and it's good also.
Both of those are pay options but they're good.
Line2 also gives you texting whereas Magicjack is call only. However I do think Line2 is more expensive.

MagicJack is good, and we got ours for $40 a year, with equipment.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I use MagicJack app to make and receive calls while on WIFI. Works great been using it for a year now. Best part? It's free!

jdcell100

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
I've been using magic jack app to make calls over wifi and 4g all the time quality is outstanding but only to make calls not recive them

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I use MagicJack app to make and receive calls while on WIFI. Works great been using it for a year now. Best part? It's free!

You are correct. While searching, there is a workaround to allow one incoming calls with MagicJack's free service. It's cumbersome, and probably only suitable for friends and family. But it works.

In order to receive calls using the free account you have to use the number they assign you. This is where it's a little more challenging as your MagicJack number is not a standard phone number it's a number that looks like this: *0123456789* including the "*" on both ends. This is the number that identifies you on the MagicJack system and you can call another MagicJack user using their special number. If you want someone to call you from any other phone then they will need to first dial an access number like this one: 1-305-848-8255. Once they dial the access number they'll be prompted to enter the MagicJack number that you want to reach. I tested this by calling the access number/my MagicJack number from a regular landline and my iPad rang.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Doesn't work that way for me. I call someone, a local number pops up, they hit redial and my iPod Touch rings.....pretty simple.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I ended up going with magicjack. It's about $2.00/month. Actually, even as cheap as it is, I might end the trial membership anyway. People just don't call much any more. I get by far more texts these days.

Good suggestions from all. Thanks for your help.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Sounds like this will soon be possible on iOS 8 as long as you have an iPhone connected to the same wifi network.

brianlbaker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010

I use my wifi only iPad for facetime phone calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.