Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Can processor heavy programs shorten your computers lifespan etc? Any thoughts on this? Or is it a ridiculous notion.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can processor heavy programs shorten your computers lifespan etc? Any thoughts on this? Or is it a ridiculous notion.
No, not to any measurable degree. Your computer was designed to be used, so use it! No computer lasts forever, so make the most of it while you can.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
No, not to any measurable degree. Your computer was designed to be used, so use it! No computer lasts forever, so make the most of it while you can.

I think that in some cases, hard drive intensive applications could shorten the life of the HDD. However, I think GGJStudios is correct.

jackofharts

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012

Thanks! I probably should of got a mac pro - I didn't realise I was going to get into 3d modelling.

Needless to say I am feeling a little protective over my new toy.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks! I probably should of got a mac pro - I didn't realise I was going to get into 3d modelling.

Needless to say I am feeling a little protective over my new toy.
The iMac should hold up just as well as a Mac Pro. You should take care of it, of course, but you don't need to baby it. It's a workhorse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.