Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you react?

• I'd be happy about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wouldn't like that change very much.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I really don't care.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Suppose Tim Cook came out and said, "Here at Apple, we realize that tablets are the future of computing. After all, nobody likes carrying around a five-pound computer. So today I am happy to announce that we are replacing our line of MacBooks with a line of fifth-generation iPads. The processor on these new iPads will be fast enough for most MacBook powerusers, and the graphics will be good enough for most intense gamers. Now, you may be thinking, "What about the CD/DVD drive." We've got you covered there, too. For $50 you can buy a drive that allows the iPad to watch and create CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs. Another question you might be asking is, 'What if I want to plug in my other Apple-created mobile devices.' You don't need to. That's what iCloud is for." How would you react?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Suppose Tim Cook came out and said, "Here at Apple, we realize that tablets are the future of computing. After all, nobody likes carrying around a five-pound computer. So today I am happy to announce that we are replacing our line of MacBooks with a line of fifth-generation iPads. The processor on these new iPads will be fast enough for most MacBook powerusers, and the graphics will be good enough for most intense gamers. Now, you may be thinking, "What about the CD/DVD drive." We've got you covered there, too. For $50 you can buy a drive that allows the iPad to watch and create CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs. Another question you might be asking is, 'What if I want to plug in my other Apple-created mobile devices.' You don't need to. That's what iCloud is for." How would you react?

I would think that he is lying. Suddenly, ARM catches up with Intel and can still fit in an iPad. Suddenly, the graphics card is as powerful as a laptop standalone graphics card. Suddenly, Apple uses Blu-Ray.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

I wouldn't know what to do with myself. There is no way I could ever possible trade such a high power and productive mobile computing platform, for a tablet. Yes, the iPad is a very good device for many things, but multitasking is no-go for a power user like me, consuming a lot of my 16GB of ram at one time, with 10+ programs running my daily schedule.

Also, I'm not really a fan of iCloud, I like to keep all of my stuff local, especially when travelling, is when I can appreciate having 2x 512GB SSD's in a little MBP. No. iPad. For. Me.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I would go out to the nearest John Lewis, buy the latest MacBook Pro with all the extras, take it home and cuddle up in a corner while wearing a tin foil hat, gently rocking myself back and forth while repeating 'it can't be'. :p

In all seriousness, I'd be majorly upset, but I'd use my Mac for the next 5 years before buying a laptop and installing Ubuntu on it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'd continue to use mine as planned and then buy a high end laptop and install Ubuntu on it and get on with my life. I wouldn't skip a beat, its a machine nothing more.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This is silly. Apple's Mac business, if separated from the rest of the company, would be a Fortune 100 company. Macs aren't going anywhere.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If there isn't a version of Xcode (or a successor to Xcode) that allows developing new apps directly on this magical new iPad, I suspect a whole lot of developers would be really angry.

There's already plenty of developers annoyed at the glacial update rate of the Mac Pro. Killing the MacBook Pro line with no replacement would be a great way to chase off the very people you need to write software for all the iOS devices.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Try doing work on an iPad 8 hours a day. Yeah... no way a sensible business worker gonna give up a laptop for a tablet for work. For flashy presentation, a tablet has the cool factor, but for tedious data entry/spreadsheet/typing a laptop is superior in every way.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I personally have to wonder what the world would be like if the entire computer industry kicked the desktop computers and laptop computers out the door and making the tablet a viable alternative.

Just FYI, you can get a Bluetooth keyboard for your iPad. And who needs a mouse when you have a touch screen? Besides, the iPad is lightweight.

Renzatic

Suspended
And who needs a mouse when you have a touch screen?

People who need precision. Touching the screen is nice for navigating the UI and all, but when you need pixel perfect control, it falls far short.

Want an example? Have you tried placing the cursor in Pages in one specific spot? You know, like before the e, but after the i? It usually takes you 3-4 jabs just to get to the thing near enough to where you want it. You'll rarely ever be able to land it exactly where you need it to go. With a mouse, it's just a wrist snap and a click away.

A stylus would be the next best thing to a mouse, but only those with a fine tipped end. Capacitive stylii (styluses? whatever...) are too big for exacting selections. You have to be able to nail an exact point without even thinking about it, not a general area.

This is an area where the iPad falls far short. That's not to say it'll always suck, but it's certainly not a perfectly functional alternative in its current state.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I personally have to wonder what the world would be like if the entire computer industry kicked the desktop computers and laptop computers out the door and making the tablet a viable alternative.

Just FYI, you can get a Bluetooth keyboard for your iPad. And who needs a mouse when you have a touch screen? Besides, the iPad is lightweight.

This is what the Microsoft Surface is trying to do in some ways. Successful or not remains to be seen.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
The iPad maybe a fun device, but it has nowhere near the power of a serious computer like a MacBook Pro. Plus, most of us like real keyboards, larger screens, and REAL multitasking

help4desk

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Just fiction. Can't happen anytime soon, maybe just for the reason that....to build apps and code for the ipad you still need a Mac :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.