Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The FCC has published paperwork, discovered by Engadget, that Apple filed late last week on what appears to be a new model of the Apple TV. This follows on yesterday's revelation that iOS 6.1 included support for an as yet unrevealed AppleTV3,2 model.

newappletv.jpg
Engadget writes:
While the diagram pictured above doesn't suggest any major changes to the device's appearance, it does list some slightly smaller measurements: 93.78mm square compared to the 98mm of the current model. That's certainly not the biggest of differences, but the measurements in previous Apple FCC filing have been spot on. The model number, A1469, is also one that we haven't seen before, but the documents unfortunately don't offer much else in the way of details (only confirmation of the same WiFi capabilities as the current-gen Apple TV).
In the middle of this month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo -- who has been accurate in the past -- posted his expectations for Apple's various product launches this year. He expected a new Apple TV model late in the first calendar quarter, which lines up with the filing.

Article Link: FCC Filing Reveals New, Slightly Smaller Apple TV Model

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I want the 'big' Apple TV...you know the mythical one we are waiting on. :D

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Well certainly no internal SSD then, which is a shame. I would wager this will have WIFI AC, along with new Time Machine / Airport Express / Airport extreme following shortly after. Quite possibly an increased flash so as to accommodate a few custom apps, but nothing more...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wonder what features a new piece of Apple TV hardware would bring. Faster processor and more RAM would be obvious to start with, but what more could we see? I love the Apple TV and am a bit excited to see some new stuff in this potential new model.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
How small can these things get?!

Apple is obsessed with nanofication...

----------

I wonder what features a new piece of Apple TV hardware would bring. Faster processor and more RAM would be obvious to start with, but what more could we see? I love the Apple TV and am a bit excited to see some new stuff in this potential new model.

A jailbreak? :p

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
For those who were wondering, that's a 4.22mm drop in length from both sides, and ~855mm^2 drop in footprint.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
If this is the only change then they are truly lost when it comes to what their customers want.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I suppose any decrease in size mzy end up costing them less in production, so basically this is a move to improve their margins. Just give us what we really want from the :apple:TV: an SDK for apps!

noodlelegs

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
really? a smaller apple tv? meh.

Apple lover to friend: Hey, did you hear??? Apple is coming out with a smaller AppleTV!!!
Friend: Ok, great.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Apple is obsessed with nanofication...

----------

A jailbreak? :p

I did a JB on my ATV2 and for me I didn't find anything I was interested in. The stock Apple apps are plenty good for me. I restored it back to factory settings after a month.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Well certainly no internal SSD then, which is a shame. I would wager this will have WIFI AC, along with new Time Machine / Airport Express / Airport extreme following shortly after. Quite possibly an increased flash so as to accommodate a few custom apps, but nothing more...

Apps like the ABC player are ~40MB.
They could put what, 100 "channel" Apps on the current model?

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Will be interesting to see where this leads. They must be shrinking it down for a reason, and I doubt that would be the only change they make. I'm assuming there will be new hardware in it, but with the current hardware coping just fine it must be for some new feature i.e. App Store.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Considering mine is mounted in a cradle on the back of my TV, the size has never been a concern for me. Give me HBOGo and some other apps, then we'll talk.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I have been wanting to get an Apple TV for some time, but there is so much uncertainty in this area that I can't pull the trigger. There is no way I'm buying a new "TV", my current one is fine and will last for years, but I would like the hockey puck, but have been paralyzed by the churning of the rumor mill. I wish they would release a new model soon so that I could feel like I'll get some life out of it before they do something else.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
While the diagram pictured above doesn't suggest any major changes to the device's appearance, it does list some slightly smaller measurements: 93.78mm square compared to the 98mm of the current model.

Magical!

:eek:

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Probably a lower cost version

If main features remains the same, this could be a lower cost version. Maybe $79 instead of $99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.