Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airportextreme1.jpg
Best Buy is offering Apple's June 2011 Airport Extreme Base Station -- the current model that Apple sells new for $179 -- for $89.99 as its deal of the day.

Apple sells the same device refurbished for $139.
Originally released June 2011

The sleek, easy-to-use AirPort Extreme Base Station with simultaneous dual-band support is the perfect wireless access point for home, school or small business. It offers fast, 802.11n Wi-Fi access for Mac computers, PCs and Wi-Fi devices such as iPhone, iPod touch and Apple TV.

Article Link: Best Buy Offering Refurbished Airport Extreme Base Station for $89.99

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Pretty good price if you have anything less than an N router at the moment. Waiting for some solid ac routers to be pushed. I am not really needing to replace my Airport Extreme, but it could possibly sway me towards it if it stays at the same price points.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Is this worth it?

I currently have the standard 2WIRE router supplied by ATT Uverse that is 802.11 b/g. I pay for the 12 Mbps internet speed, because that's the max that they can provide to my apartment complex. When I'm on WiFi I usually get 3-4 Mbps. We have about 6 Apple devices and an xbox if that matters.

Do you think this router will really make a $100 difference going to 802.11n? Thanks gents.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Is this worth it?

I currently have the standard 2WIRE router supplied by ATT Uverse that is 802.11 b/g. I pay for the 12 Mbps internet speed, because that's the max that they can provide to my apartment complex. When I'm on WiFi I usually get 3-4 Mbps. We have about 6 Apple devices and an xbox if that matters.

Do you think this router will really make a $100 difference going to 802.11n? Thanks gents.

This one for $89 ? A big difference.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Is this worth it?

I have turned off the wifi on my 2WIRE router on the first day. The drop from 12Mbps to 3 or 4 is way too much to put up with. Get a good router, even if you go with something other than this one. But at this price, it is quite competitive with other high quality routers. Besides, router management or setup is a bit easier if you are already an Apple centric household.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Is this worth it?

I got the Airport Extreme 5th Gen for 100 Euro refurbished and I am very happy with it. Airport utility makes network managing a breeze. I can open Ports from my iPhone, something that's handy when I'm hosting Teamspeak and Minecraft servers and the like.
Works best I think if you have a heavy enough Apple ecosystem at home. I do and its perfect.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Thanks all. I get about 8-10 Mbps if I run speedtest.net, but then when I'm downloading something in iTunes it's about 3-4 Mbps. Again my connection is 12 Mbps max.

So if I get this, what is a ballpark estimate for my WiFi speeds?

Also, can I plug a 1TB external drive into the USB port and use that for Time Machine? That would be handy.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
I found one of these used on amazon about two months back for something like $50. but with apple care and refurb I guess it's worth that

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Huh

Is this worth it?

I'm trying to get my head around what you said above. When you say you "get" 3-4Mbps, is that your connect speed (which ideally should be 54Mbps on 802.11g) or your transfer speed? A connect speed of 54Mbps should yield about 22Mbps in actual download speed, assuming there's only one wireless device. That "real" 22Mbps would be shared among all your wireless devices. Of course, internet speed would be limited to 12Mbps because that's your service's speed.

n goes to 150Mbps connect speed, based on two streams on one channel. You can also double the channel width to get 300Mbps (actually nowadays you can get three streams, so it's up to 450Mbps). Now, upgrading to 802.11n includes more than just speed benefits. First, n allows for more robust communications (it's too arcane to get into but that's the net of it). And, second, n can operate at 5Ghz, which is less crowded, and isn't used by bluetooth, and many other devices.

The bottom line is that n will help with communications within your network, but it seems like your internet connection won't be any better - unless your other devices are really choking the wireless bandwidth, which is unlikely unless you're constantly streaming video or moving files around.

haincha

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I try to explain to people, if you're paying extra money for faster internet but have a crappy router. Their wifi is still going to be slow. Some people don't understand the concept of a bottleneck.

My sister has an HDTV and a Blu-ray player. Connection is composite cable... Thinks she is getting HD.

There are some places you can skimp out on quality. If you actually care about internet speeds, your router is not something to skimp out on.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I'm trying to get my head around what you said above. When you say you "get" 3-4Mbps, is that your connect speed (which ideally should be 54Mbps on 802.11g) or your transfer speed?

I "get" between 3-4 Mbps when downloading actual videos etc from iTunes. Speedtest will show about 7-8 Mbps usually. I am paying for 12 Mbps, because that is the fastest possible connection that Uverse can provide to me.

So I'm questioning, since my ceiling is 12 Mbps, if 802.11n is worth $89.

DukeSnyd

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
I have the first gen time capsule 500gb with draft n that I got in '07... Was trying to hold out for .ac. Worth the upgrade?

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Great news. I have a refurb AE thats been working flawlessly for the last three years.

I just ordered another one for someone I know could use it.

nealibob

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Please read the reviews before buying (and before parroting news). It looks like there is no quality control and no guarantee of receiving the right model. False economy.

paulevy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
No Warranty and deal only lasts for 3 more hours

Best Buy and Apple expressly disclaim ant warranties and guarantees--this can be returned to BestBuy but it is not even warranted that it will work! And the offer expires in a little over 3 hours from now!

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
Best Buy and Apple expressly disclaim ant warranties and guarantees--this can be returned to BestBuy but it is not even warranted that it will work! And the offer expires in a little over 3 hours from now!
Ewww.. Wait, so does that mean that the $799 refurb'd MBAs Friday and Saturday are also not guaranteed or is it just this?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Please read the reviews before buying (and before parroting news). It looks like there is no quality control and no guarantee of receiving the right model. False economy.

You gonna link to some of those reviews?

I have one of these, it works AWESOME and has since I bought it.

Hey, if you want to back up your post, great, please do so. But without specifics, you're just "parroting" yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.