Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
benh911f
macrumors 6502

ATV 2 Via WiFi - Playing Purchased Files Works Fine, Home Sharing, Not So Much

Edit/Udpate - I upgraded to the ATV3, and am still having the same issues. Purchased content from iTunes plays fine, my own media doesn't, except when it's connected to an Ethernet cord. The problem is, there is no Ethernet cord where I do my primary watching of the ATV. But since purchased content works fine, this leads me to believe it's not a wifi issue.

I've been searching and read some threads here and on the Apple forums about this issue, but can't figure out what the problem is. When I try to play movies/tv shows via WiFi, the only ones that load properly are those that I've purchased via iTunes. If I try to play files I've added myself via Home Sharing, they refuse to load. This tells me that it's not my WiFi speed, but I can't figure out what it is. I just restored my ATV 2, relaunched iTunes, tried Airplaying from my computer, iPhone, etc., but nothing works. If anyone has had this problem and been able to solve the issue, I would appreciate some help.

Last edited by benh911f; May 29, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
benh911f is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh911f View Post
I've been searching and read some threads here and on the Apple forums about this issue, but can't figure out what the problem is. When I try to play movies/tv shows via WiFi, the only ones that load properly are those that I've purchased via iTunes. If I try to play files I've added myself via Home Sharing, they refuse to load. This tells me that it's not my WiFi speed, but I can't figure out what it is. I just restored my ATV 2, relaunched iTunes, tried Airplaying from my computer, iPhone, etc., but nothing works. If anyone has had this problem and been able to solve the issue, I would appreciate some help.
What kind of files are you trying to play and what are the source? It sounds to me like they are either encoded at a really high bitrate and its over your network's bandwidth, or you have them encoded improperly or through a crappy program.

So what is the source and what are you using to encode the files?
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:19 PM   #3
benh911f
macrumors 6502

Mostly my own ripped BD's. Ripped through MakeMKV, then put into Handbrake using the ATV preset. I've used this before, and it's worked fine.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh911f View Post
Mostly my own ripped BD's. Ripped through MakeMKV, then put into Handbrake using the ATV preset. I've used this before, and it's worked fine.
Which ATV preset are you using? Keep in mind that by using the CQ slider function that the ATV presets use, there is a good chance that you may end up with an extremely high bitrate file depending on Handbrakes perceived quality level required. Look at the files you are having issues with playing and if any of them are more than 12-15 GB that could be the issue. You can also try using the checkbox in Handbrake that says "Web Optimized" which could also help.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
benh911f
macrumors 6502

Sorry for the delayed response. The problem is, I'm having problems even with my DVD Rips. An SD 20 minute TV Show still gives me problems.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:35 AM   #6
benh911f
macrumors 6502

Edit/Udpate - I upgraded to the ATV3, and am still having the same issues. Purchased content from iTunes plays fine, my own media doesn't, except when it's connected to an Ethernet cord. The problem is, there is no Ethernet cord where I do my primary watching of the ATV. But since purchased content works fine, this leads me to believe it's not a wifi issue.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

You can see the list with all of your content but it won't play or you can't even see the list?
If you can't even see the content it's probably a firewall issue.
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
benh911f
macrumors 6502

I can see it fine, it just takes forever to load. Usually it's just the little buffering icon that comes up when I try to load one of my own files.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Gav2k
macrumors 603

Files over the net are buffered and played. Files on your local network are streamed without a nice buffer.

Either upgrade your router or invest in some home plugs.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater