Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I would actually be stoked by a "modular" AppleTV. That way I could upgrade the puck with new abilities, without having to throw away some huge, expensive display. Alas, it is probably too good to be true. :(

So here we have it, the stackable system; Mac Mini, Airport Express, External Storage, and AppleTV:

41MJpJSQjvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

;)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
From the FCC :

Apple Inc. requests that the Commission withholds the following documents from public viewing for one hundred eighty days after the date the grant of equipment authorization is issued:
• External Photographs
• Internal Photographs
• Test Setup Photographs
• User Manual
These documents reveal technical and design information that has not been publicly disclosed in marketing materials and is protected by Apple Inc. as confidential and proprietary trade secrets. This information has been disclosed to those required to maintain its confidentiality, and is not customarily disclosed publicly prior to the commercial release of the device. As a result, disclosure of this information by the Commission prior to commercial release would harm Apple Inc. by giving competitors an unfair market advantage. Apple Inc. believes the period of confidentiality requested is necessary to protect the information until the commercial release of a device.
It is our understanding that measurement test reports and FCC ID label format cannot be granted as confidential documents and this information will be available for public review once the grant of equipment authorization is issued.

Signed December 12,2012

This lines up with WWDC 2013 quit nicely.

:)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
The size for Apple TV are just fine how about features? Until their is more Apps I would not be buying Apple TV, such Amazon Prime would be nice to have on Apple TV.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Size is surely not the only change. More Memory could mean apps! And what it really needs is HDMI in. That way it could be placed inline with your cable box instead of being relegated to input 2. Thus it could take over the input when it receives some airplay, overlay graphics onto the cable, and so on.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
What point would there be in it having an A5X processor? The A5X is just an A5 with an extra GPU to help drive the iPad 3's retina display.

My guess is that it's an updated A5X using a newer chip process (probably 32nm) to get the manufacturing line ramped up so this chip can go in the retina iPad Mini 2.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Aidan5806 For those who were wondering, that's a 4.22mm drop in length from both sides, and ~855mm^2 drop in footprint.

no it's not.

I'm thinking

98mm squared is 96.04 cm squared
93.78 mm squared is 87.95 cm squared

the difference is 8.1 square cm or 8.4%

Sweet
So on a surface where you could once only fit 11 ATVs now you can fit 12
Think of the savings in shipping alone!

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I want the 'big' Apple TV...you know the mythical one we are waiting on. :D

I already bought a nice Sharp TV, so a revised Apple TV would be nice.

----------

So what's the point? Faster wifi? It already goes 1080p. :confused:

A faster processor with faster networking will improve the streaming of things like games. Currently, there is a lag when streaming some video and games.

----------

We will never see the mythical Apple Television until Time-Warner and Comcast agree to terms with Apple.

I am not so sure. Apple could bypass them to bring it to market simply by releasing Apps. People could buy al carte channels like on some competing devices.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'm wondering if we are going to see Analog out on the device, OR an HDMI passthru, so Apple TV isnt taking up an HDMI input on TVs where they are at a premium. I can't imagine they are going to shrink the box, just to shrink the box, not enough gain in that small of a shrink.

Well.... I doubt they're adding MORE ports on a smaller box.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
It can get as small as they want it for all I care; just give me more features and apps, and make it customizable. Crackle, Vevo, NFL, Weather Channel just some of the apps I would like to see added. Of course, Amazon would be great but probably never gong to happen.

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
A5x

New Apple TV with A5X and better WiFi(ac?). iPad mini retina with A5X. How I see it.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
I seldom use mine, plus there's this annoying random video flickering every time I play any video... haven't found any hep anywhere... useless.

But more importantly: no USB port for reading media in external storage... no money for Apple. As simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.