Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
It is almost certain that the 2nd Gen iPad Mini will have a Retina display. What about WiFi AC??? Any chance? I have an iPad 2 which I have had for about 2 yrs now which I love. I like the 3rd and 4th Gen iPad's Retina display but not enough of a reason for me to upgrade. A 2nd Gen Mini w/ Retina and WiFi AC would be perfect for me. So any chance?

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I believe that the gen 2 will have retina, I can't see Apple pushing another one out without retina when every other product basically has it now.
With the AC, theres a possibility, I didn't realise how many products already used AC.
However I think they would update Airport Express/Extreme/Time Capsule at the same time so that their own products all work together.

But theres still a chance I suppose, maybe an iPad mini event early in the year and an iPad event later in the year?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think there's a good chance. There were reports that Apple was working on 802.11ac Wi-Fi for MacBooks.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
And it is logic like this that leads to all sorts of heartbreak and disappointment...

I understand it with the ipad when it was all new, but for it to happen with its technology and competition now would seem a bit odd.
Once again, just my opinion, nothing to back it up.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Yes, that's almost definite. Apple has been at the forefront of Wi-Fi technology, keeping Macs updated with the latest (or yet unreleased) wireless technologies.

The only tangible benefit, however, would be increased range. With an iPad, it is nigh impossible to saturate the 450 Mbps bandwidth of 802.11n MIMO, let alone the 1.3Gbps of 802.11ac.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And it is logic like this that leads to all sorts of heartbreak and disappointment...

Yeah. I personally only give a retina iPad 2 a 50% chance. It could happen, but I see no reason it has to. I think it's a sure-thing by the 3rd one, but before that...who knows?

Remember how many iPhones we went through that everyone said just HAD to have LTE in it, but then didn't? :p

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
The only tangible benefit, however, would be increased range. With an iPad, it is nigh impossible to saturate the 450 Mbps bandwidth of 802.11n MIMO, let alone the 1.3Gbps of 802.11ac.

Good point. Especially since my internet connection is only 20-25 mbps. Can't wait until affordable home Gigabit connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.