Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Brounmoney
Banned

New 6.1 update messed up my FaceTime over cellular

I updated today to iOS 6.1. As of a day ago I could use FaceTime over cellular with an att unlimited data plan. Some posters suggested that is was not true, but as another poster pointed out the same happened for them. It seemed to be a glitch. I now can not use FaceTime over cellular and I kind of think apple had something to do with this. I have rebooted my iPhone every week since I got it so it was not because of that it still worked.

Posters wanted to question me when I said apple has all the control over what the phone can do and not do over cellular. In this case AT&T ask them not to allow FaceTime and tethering to unlimited data users. Apple it seems played nice with AT&T and made it happen. Now before all of you blow a gasket I do believe AT&T does have a say just not as much as people think. Apple brings so much business to the table they can call the shots on whatever they want which is why I think they have a lot to do with the issue that I have. AT&T told them they had unlimited user using FaceTime over cellular and Apple had a decision to make. They picked to fix it make FaceTime over cellular no longer work for unlimited users. Apple had control and has all along, why do you think their iPhone has no crapware on Them? There is not AT&T or Verizon or sprint apps preloaded on the iPhone. Because apple says they will not allow it. They have a choice and they choose the carriers in most of them. Which bring me to my point that as much as some of you adore apple they are not all about the customer as much as you would think. They are there to make the big bucks and guess what the carriers give them that. To prove my point of just how much apple has a say look at this article about 4g on the iPhone 5 and which carriers get it. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...hone-5-1116585

Last edited by dejo; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Insults.
Brounmoney is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

nothing you can do unless you saved a shsh
glsillygili is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsillygili View Post
nothing you can do unless you saved a shsh
I have no ideas what you are trying to say
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #4
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

my friend,

AT&T not Apple controls what the phone does on AT&T's cellular network...if this were not true why didn't Apple block Verizon unlimited users from Facetime over cellular? and why does Apple USA allow users in other countries to Facetime and tether unrestricted but not in America? it's the carriers choice not Apple

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
I updated today to iOS 6.1. As of a day ago I could use FaceTime over cellular with an att unlimited data plan. Some posters suggested that is was not true, but as another poster pointed out the same happened for them. It seemed to be a glitch. I now can not use FaceTime over cellular and I kind of think apple had something to do with this. I have rebooted my iPhone every week since I got it so it was not because of that it still worked.

Posters wanted to question me when I said apple has all the control over what the phone can do and not do over cellular. In this case AT&T ask them not to allow FaceTime and tethering to unlimited data users. Apple it seems played nice with AT&T and made it happen. Now before all of you blow a gasket I do believe AT&T does have a say just not as much as people think. Apple brings so much business to the table they can call the shots on whatever they want which is why I think they have a lot to do with the issue that I have. AT&T told them they had unlimited user using FaceTime over cellular and Apple had a decision to make. They picked to fix it make FaceTime over cellular no longer work for unlimited users. Apple had control and has all along, why do you think their iPhone has no crapware on Them? There is not AT&T or Verizon or sprint apps preloaded on the iPhone. Because apple says they will not allow it. They have a choice and they choose the carriers in most of them. Which bring me to my point that as much as some of you adore apple they are not all about the customer as much as you would think. They are there to make the big bucks and guess what the carriers give them that. To prove my point of just how much apple has a say look at this article about 4g on the iPhone 5 and which carriers get it. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...hone-5-1116585
this article merely suggests that Apple has to test 4G networks for usability before approving it...not that Apple controls how the phone is used on the network

Last edited by dejo; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Quoted post edited.
SAD*FACED*CLOWN is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD*FACED*CLOWN View Post
my friend,

AT&T not Apple controls what the phone does on AT&T's cellular network...if this were not true why didn't Apple block Verizon unlimited users from Facetime over cellular? and why does Apple USA allow users in other countries to Facetime and tether unrestricted but not in America? it's the carriers choice not Apple

----------

this article merely suggests that Apple has to test 4G networks for usability before approving it...not that Apple controls how the phone is used on the network
You prove nothing with this statement. The reason apple USA allows other carriers in other countries to use FaceTime and tethering is because those carriers don't pressure Apple to make limits to the phone. Sure AT&T, Verizon, and sprint say what they would like to allow and not allow, but Apple says yes or no. Like I said if the carriers had any say then their apps would be on the iPhone. Look at every other phone the carriers have. They all have crapware on them preloaded that can't be removed without modifying the phone. And if I not mistaken Verizon does allow FaceTime over cellular on the iPhone 5.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
6.1 did not cause this change.
Some people with unlimited data got FaceTime over cellular to work with an unlimited plan for a short while when AT&T expanded their offering. Not everyone with unlimited had it work for them, myself included.
AT&T quickly corrected this and removed it for most unlimited customers long before 6.1 was released- most people who had it saw it disappear in November. Why yours lasted this long isn't clear.
I strongly oppose AT&T's decision to limit FaceTime over cellular to customers with a tiered plan. It's yet another reflection of the mess that is the overall wireless situation in the US.
I'm no apologist for Apple- they have made plenty of mistakes in how they have handled aspects of the iPhone ecosystem and I have never hesitated to criticize them when, in my opinion, they have messed up.
And Apple and AT&T have been at war over a number of features over time. FaceTime is one of those.
None of us has access to Apple's contract with AT&T, so anything any of us post about this is mere conjecture. However, blaming Apple for the stand taken by AT&T over this strikes me as being silly.
Apple could easily have made it technically impossible for FaceTime to work in any situation they chose. Yet it is clear from the fact that FaceTime over cellular DID work on unlimited AT&T accounts for a while that there is no technical reason for the limitation.
And in what way does this limitation serve Apple's interests? Remember, Apple gets paid UP FRONT by the carriers, not as your service agreement with your carrier continues. They have ZERO incentive to limit possible uses of FaceTime- in fact, they have every reason to do just the opposite. The more FaceTime is used by customers, the more people will want devices that have access to FaceTime.
Lastly, this isn't like in the early days of iPhone when AT&T had their exclusive arrangement with Apple and there were promises made and kept between the two companies. Carriers compete over features available by plan and these are independent of the characteristics of the phones themselves.
And it is also clear by every action they have taken that AT&T is trying like crazy to shed its unlimited customer base by taking every step they can to dis-incentivize keeping this plan. This is yet another example of them doing just that.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:08 PM   #7
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You prove nothing with this statement. The reason apple USA allows other carriers in other countries to use FaceTime and tethering is because those carriers don't pressure Apple to make limits to the phone. Sure AT&T, Verizon, and sprint say what they would like to allow and not allow, but Apple says yes or no. Like I said if the carriers had any say then their apps would be on the iPhone. Look at every other phone the carriers have. They all have crapware on them preloaded that can't be removed without modifying the phone. And if I not mistaken Verizon does allow FaceTime over cellular on the iPhone 5.
you don't get it....Apple does not have control over any carrier's cellular network...if they did why would they allow one group of their customers to have access to a certain feature (Verizon, more powerful than AT&T) and not the other? sure Apple may influence pricing and branding etc...but network usage? C'mon man...you think AT&T blocks tethering at Apple's request? Why would Apple care what you do with your phone? they already have your money
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:11 PM   #8
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

There will be a jailbreak in roughly a week. Just jb and you can get it back.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD*FACED*CLOWN View Post
you don't get it....Apple does not have control over any carrier's cellular network...if they did why would they allow one group of their customers to have access to a certain feature (Verizon, more powerful than AT&T) and not the other? sure Apple may influence pricing and branding etc...but network usage? C'mon man...you think AT&T blocks tethering at Apple's request? Why would Apple care what you do with your phone? they already have your money
Apple has control of what there phones do plain and simple. I just can't see a company that is as big as Apple let AT&T tell them how there phoned will work on their network. Apple does not let them bully them around about apps like all the other phone company do. I understand that AT&T has a lot of say in a lot of ways for their network, but Apple is the one that has all the pull. If AT&T made enough customers mad and lost business for Apple, Apple would pull out in a heart beat.

You said why would apple care what you do with your phone after you buy it. I can think of a lot of reasons. They want you to buy stuff from the App Store and apple care all that good stuff. If you buy there product and like me and a lot of other people that are on unlimited data plans get mad and have a bad taste in their months then Apple could lose a customer. I mean think about it I am not going to say everything is Apples fault and never buy another iPhone, but some people might, and does Apple really want to make future customers mad?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple has control of what there phones do plain and simple. I just can't see a company that is as big as Apple let AT&T tell them how there phoned will work on their network. Apple does not let them bully them around about apps like all the other phone company do. I understand that AT&T has a lot of say in a lot of ways for their network, but Apple is the one that has all the pull. If AT&T made enough customers mad and lost business for Apple, Apple would pull out in a heart beat.

You said why would apple care what you do with your phone after you buy it. I can think of a lot of reasons. They want you to buy stuff from the App Store and apple care all that good stuff. If you buy there product and like me and a lot of other people that are on unlimited data plans get mad and have a bad taste in their months then Apple could lose a customer. I mean think about it I am not going to say everything is Apples fault and never buy another iPhone, but some people might, and does Apple really want to make future customers mad?
AT&T decides what you do on their network. Apple doesn't have the "last say". It's like if you get bad gas in a Lamborghini. It's not the Lamborghini's fault that you got a bad batch of gas at the gas station. It's the gas stations fault. AT&T can block certain ports on their network. Apple can't reopen the ports, it's on the network side, not in the OS.

EDIT: An even better example her: if you blacklisted my phone number and I blamed the phone that I have for you blacklisting me. It's not the phone maker who did the black listing it would be you in this case. Same sort of scenario.
lunaoso is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
I think what's clear from your posts in this thread and the other one you started on this same subject is that if someone had a Notarized statement signed by Jobs almighty himself and attested to by The Archangels Gabriel and Michael that AT&T is responsible for this, you still wouldn't believe it was AT&T's doing...
I DO share your frustration and hope there will be a change, but I don't hold out much hope that AT&T will change its mind or that you will believe Apple isn't the culprit here.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliii View Post
I think what's clear from your posts in this thread and the other one you started on this same subject is that if someone had a Notarized statement signed by Jobs almighty himself and attested to by The Archangels Gabriel and Michael that AT&T is responsible for this, you still wouldn't believe it was AT&T's doing...
I DO share your frustration and hope there will be a change, but I don't hold out much hope that AT&T will change its mind or that you will believe Apple isn't the culprit here.
Oh I know AT&T will never change they have too much business and company's like Samsung, apple, and Htc let the get by with it. I mean don't you believe that if Apple said I will not let AT&T have the iphone unless they allow FaceTime and tethering to unlimited user then AT&T might just change there tune? The iphone was the best thing that ever happen to AT&T in 2007 and since. The iPhones selling 10 times better than any other phone AT&T offers. I will say this too when I preorder my iphone 5 and wanted AT&T to let me upgrade early all I heard was Apple made us sign an agreement not allow customers to do that. I even went as far as to say I would cancel and they still held to it saying Apple want let us. I don't know, but if I was making them think I was going to cancel and they still did nothing it makes me think Apple just might have said that.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Brounmoney
Banned

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...way.aspx#page1

This sure makes it sound like Apple has a lot of power.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:19 PM   #14
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh I know AT&T will never change they have too much business and company's like Samsung, apple, and Htc let the get by with it. I mean don't you believe that if Apple said I will not let AT&T have the iphone unless they allow FaceTime and tethering to unlimited user then AT&T might just change there tune? The iphone was the best thing that ever happen to AT&T in 2007 and since. The iPhones selling 10 times better than any other phone AT&T offers. I will say this too when I preorder my iphone 5 and wanted AT&T to let me upgrade early all I heard was Apple made us sign an agreement not allow customers to do that. I even went as far as to say I would cancel and they still held to it saying Apple want let us. I don't know, but if I was making them think I was going to cancel and they still did nothing it makes me think Apple just might have said that.
If Apple pulled their iPhone from AT&T, Apple would lose a lot as well. I don't think Apple has a lot to gain by making such a threat against AT&T.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman06 View Post
If Apple pulled their iPhone from AT&T, Apple would lose a lot as well. I don't think Apple has a lot to gain by making such a threat against AT&T.
No at this point they do not have much to gain at all. I was just saying if Apple did threaten AT&T with them pulling their agreement then AT&T would be forced to change things. I don't think anything like that will happen, but I was just saying. If what happens with tmobile taking away subsidies with say AT&T or Verizon we might see apple rethink things. Apple would be in a bad spot cause their unsubsidized price is much higher than some of the other big name phones. I just think Apple could threaten a pull of the iPhone from a carrier and have power behind that.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland