Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
The iPad 3 with A5X was beastly thick and heavy because of battery requirements? How could they possibly use the same processor in the iPad mini to power a retina display without adding weight and bulk? I would've thought they'd have to introduce a more efficient processor AND new display technology to make it work.

It was mostly the display that required the huge battery etc. the a5x would be fine in the mini especially if they do it at tsmc with a smaller die but regardless i will replace by wifes mini with a new one if it has retina but only if it uses the same cpu as the full size ipad, being a generation behind is stupid and i wouldnt buy that

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The A5 in the current Apple TV is single core. i know I remember reading that somewhere.

I believe that was in referenced to A5 dual core rejects (only 1 core functional) so they were allocated to :apple:TV.

I wonder if this will be the A5X rejects with only one functional core too. And if so, is there any tangible gain here (if you get an A5X that has extra cores shut down or non-functional, is there more available horses than an A5)?

1Alec1

macrumors regular
I vaguely remember someone hacking the apple TV to run osx natively.. It ran terribly.. but it ran. I wonder..... LOL

Anyway, I do like the sounds of this new aTV,

The old ATV? It ran a modified Tiger, and there were hacks available to let you do other stuff like attach a keyboard or even use it as a full computer. I hacked mine to have VNC and other stuff, and I managed to open TextEdit... without a keyboard. The old ATV was a big disappointment, basically a PC that can only use iTunes and can't even do 1080p or run with stability.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This tells me Apple will stop using A5 for other devices (what uses it now, the iPod touch and iPad 2) with its next upgrade so no more A5 rejects to use cheaply in the Apple TV. So maybe the ipod touch moves to the A5x, maybe this is the end of the iPad 2 and the Apple TV moves to the A5x with the iPod Touch update? To me it doesn't mean much, it is not like the Apple TV is processor or graphics intensive as it stands now.

Precursor to other things? Maybe, but then why not enable BT pointing devices and headsets too along with the keyboard?

I think this is just a supply based move IMHO...I hope I'm wrong however...a bump in processor and even a bump in memory with nothing more is not enough to get me to upgrade from my Apple TV3s.

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder if the reason for the X version is that Apple wants to make sure the Apple TV can push 4K content. That's closer to retina resolution than non-retina, though I'm not sure the Apple TV needs to do any major graphics processing (AirPlay game graphics are generated on the iOS device I believe).

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I wonder if the reason for the X version is that Apple wants to make sure the Apple TV can push 4K content. That's closer to retina resolution than non-retina, though I'm not sure the Apple TV needs to do any major graphics processing (AirPlay game graphics are generated on the iOS device I believe).

There is no 4k content out that you can stream from iTunes and the bandwidth to support that is not widely available. Also, just about every TV in the world cannot display it, we are a few years out easily...no way Apple, KNOWING APPLE, is making hardware TODAY for needs years down the road.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I would say it is your poor wireless connection. I have a wired ethernet and it never loses connectivity. I have an AppleTV 2.

----------

My internet bill is $25-30/month.

I use Brighthouse Cable and AT&T alternating between the two whenever one of them hikes the rates. I have been doing this for about 3 years. I have room for a cable modem and a DSL modem in my structured wiring panel. All I have to do is move my ethernet cable from one device to another when I switch providers. Pretty seemless.
I'd have no issue doing this if I could get internet that cheap. Verizon's cheapest internet only offering in Rhode Island is $70/month for 15/5*. Cox is slightly cheaper at $55 but I've got no idea what speed that is as the only advertise their 'PowerBoost' snake oil speed!

*According to Verizon 15/5 is good for 1 or 2 devices! I run 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, an ATV my work laptop, a Mac mini and an iMac with no real issues. Based on Verizon's marketing I need their 75/35 @ $90/month as an absolute bare minimum!!!!!!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

doubtful. nobody is buying 4k tv's at least for a few more years and then content after that. There will be an update to the appletv for that.
Honestly im not sure why they are even updating it. unless for apps but the current appletv would be fine running apps.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think this thing is getting updated with a new processor for no good reason. It just doesn't make sense, even with Apple's best spin. That is, unless this really is just a tweaked ATV3 with more international compatibility and some hardware updates for the hell of it. Otherwise, the latest Apple TV does 1080P fine and both the ATV2 and ATV3 could tap into 5 GHz networks. So I'd bet this is either tweaked for better international support with a slight hardware bump for good measure (or to streamline/test production lines) or there's something new up their sleeves. Of course, I'm hoping for an App Store, but we'll see.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Now if Apple could really get us to cut the cable and sign some contracts with cable and satellite networks such as ESPN, NFL Sunday ticket and such, it would be winner. Crappy Netflix, Hulu and the other lame choices just won't cut it. If not, just another failure.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
It could run iOS then? (Yeah, it already *does* run iOS, but I mean the full iOS, with apps and all the rest :))

I can't imagine why not. When the 2nd gen AppleTV came out in 2010, it was essentially an iPhone 4 without a display. I can think of no technical reason it couldn't run an "regular" iOS, aside from the lack of an output device.

But in case I mis-read your post - no, the original AppleTV couldn't run iOS. iOS (that we know of) hasn't been compiled to run on x86 hardware.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Good for you. You are really maximizing the "cut the cable" effort. However, if we all did that, the broadband providers through which so much of what you are doing depends and who also happen to like their cable TV business revenue "as is" will make up the mass exodus losses by raising the broadband rates. They'll just wrap it up in the tiers movement for "heavier users" and we'll find ourselves saving huge money over what cable used to cost but paying the difference plus 10% or 20% in much higher broadband rates.

It only works now because not that many people have made the move. When there's enough pain in the cable company (broadband tollmaster) revenue slip, they'll flex their local monopolies on broadband service and make up the losses. And then everything that has cost-savings benefit because of an Internet connection will have the savings mitigated by a much more expensive toll for that Internet.
And here lies the rub! Once too many people 'cut the cable' tiered plans, data caps and the like will hit home internet connections and all that money saved will go straight back to the Verizons, Comcasts, Time Warners and ATTs of this world.

In the UK British Telecom own and maintain the copper and fibre infrastructure across the country but are legally required to offer it to independent ISPs at wholesale rates to ensure fair competition. This prevents the local monopolies that exist over here and means prices stay low.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
The Apple TV needs a miracle in terms of a software updates. It is extraordinary limited (can't even get DLNA/UPNP devices in 2013?). It's a huge shame considering its a very well designed device in every other way.

If you need any evidence of this, simply look at the eBay store. JB AT2's go for more than new ones.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I can't imagine what the A5X would do for the ATV, since the current one already handles 1080p just fine... why would they need a faster GPU?

Unlesssss..... apps and games?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I can't imagine why not. When the 2nd gen AppleTV came out in 2010, it was essentially an iPhone 4 without a display. I can think of no technical reason it couldn't run an "regular" iOS, aside from the lack of an output device.

I would think the problems would arise though when it comes to the touch screen - Wouldn't the regular iOS only be designed for touch input?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

Maybe it's for 3D content, but nobody seems to be talking about 3D TV anymore.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
It could run iOS then? (Yeah, it already *does* run iOS, but I mean the full iOS, with apps and all the rest :))

Exactly.. then i could finally play Angry Birds on my 55 inch Tv xD But while I think it'd be awesome to try and do, I haven't heard of anyone getting iOS to run on anything but iOS designated stuff either

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
What does the ATV need that much horsepower for? Not like a BT keyboard and netflix needs that much oomph to operate smoothly. Now if Apple will just put the AppStore on the darn thing already would be awesome like VLC streamer? It's nice that I can throw my movies from my Mac to my ATV with VLC streamer through my iPhone/iPad but would like to do it from the ATV itself.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Exactly.. then i could finally play Angry Birds on my 55 inch Tv xD But while I think it'd be awesome to try and do, I haven't heard of anyone getting iOS to run on anything but iOS designated stuff either

Can't you airplay mirror this? Or does that not apply to games, and only media?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Good for you. You are really maximizing the "cut the cable" effort. However, if we all did that, the broadband providers through which so much of what you are doing depends and who also happen to like their cable TV business revenue "as is" will make up the mass exodus losses by raising the broadband rates. They'll just wrap it up in the tiers movement for "heavier users" and we'll find ourselves saving huge money over what cable used to cost but paying the difference plus 10% or 20% in much higher broadband rates.

It only works now because not that many people have made the move. When there's enough pain in the cable company (broadband tollmaster) revenue slip, they'll flex their local monopolies on broadband service and make up the losses. And then everything that has cost-savings benefit because of an Internet connection will have the savings mitigated by a much more expensive toll for that Internet.

By that time, I hope the cable infrastructure goes the way of the telephone landline infrastructure, in that any cable provider can pipe their signal over a shared network. That would add competition and reduce prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.