Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Continual surprise updates like this will cause buyers to freeze and wait out of fear of buying something outdated. I'm getting sick of it. New products and even incremental updates from apple used to have much more punch.

128 gb is now going to be old hat for the iPad 5. They'd better have some even better ideas up their sleeve if they expect anyone to blink at it

This is the technology world of today. Years ago new things were up to date for years, but that time period has continued to shrink down to under a year for most products. Manufacturers like Apple, Samsung or whoever, can't sit and wait to make a big announcement for some of these things. For the most part it is really only the high tech people that follow forums like these that care about when these updates take place and we are an extreme minority of the customers who buy these products.

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
2013 is the year to move away from Apple

More desperate measures from Apple without Steve Jobs. They should have 128GB when iPad 4 first release two months ago or wait till the next one.

lobster68w

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
It's beyond time that Apple puts an SD slot into the iPads. Until then, I'm not buying one. Way, way to much $$$$ for memory.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
It's beyond time that Apple puts an SD slot into the iPads
For Sure Agreee On That.
I was just thinking on the way home - sure wish I could load those images out of the camera now - knowing the adaptor was not with me.

I assume some use iPhoto on the Pad - which I have not done
or is not possible on the iPad1 4.3.3.
I'm not willing to load OS beyond it.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
mabey for u, but for me I would choose a 128gb iPad over a 128gb Microsoft surface. If money is an issue u have 3 other choices.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I never said that anything by Microsoft was an option :D I would live my life writing on paper by candlelight before I used anything that runs any form of Windows. I gave them more than enough opportunities over the last 15 years. Never again my friend.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Bit fixing late for me, already got the 64gig iPad. Wtf is wrong with apple grr

I would have picked up a 128gig if the option existed at the time. At least with Samsung crap you can add memory to them so you're not stuck. Oh well maybe ipad5 ill get 128gig

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
You people who bought the iPad mini: THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!

YOU proved to Apple that people are daft enough to pay premium for something that is CLEARLY inferior to their past products! GRRR!!!

Now they're charging almost a thousand dollars for THE iPad that SHOULD have replaced the 64GB version and made the 32GB version THE lowest-cost and absolute minimum model... and WHY?

Coz they know people can't wait!! They KNOW this for sure because of everyone who rushed in and bought an iPad mini!!

----------

Bit fixing late for me, already got the 64gig iPad. Wtf is wrong with apple grr

I would have picked up a 128gig if the option existed at the time. At least with Samsung crap you can add memory to them so you're not stuck. Oh well maybe ipad5 ill get 128gig

Course they will. In fact, it'll be just the three models again. Alas, it looks like Apple has a new strategy here. Introduce a bumped up version mid-year. So they don't need to make a whole new model/design. Just bump it up mid-year. The rumours were close... but this is it.

I want a 128GB iPhone 5.

----------

It's beyond time that Apple puts an SD slot into the iPads. Until then, I'm not buying one. Way, way to much $$$$ for memory.

SD will be going the way of floppy/CDs in the near future. That's why they didn't put it.

My source? Steve Jobs told me in a dream.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
"The MacBook Air is very tempting, but it would be really nice if there was something in the same price range that didn't have a keyboard or any sort of external expansion ports, had a very low-power GPU, and only let me use one app at a time."

:D

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Why the excitment over this? The sizes/prices of the iPad were set in 2010. Since then the price of flash memory has dropped about 80% and yet apple maintains their $100 for 32 gig, $200 for 64 gig and now $300 for 128 gig. If anything you should be so far beyond saying about time you don't ever care about the increase and disgusted by the pricing. It's a year too late to go 32/64/128 at the old price points and call it reasonable.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
128GB for an iOS device? I figured with the progression of iTunes Match and iCloud services, the need for high capacity storage would be going in the opposite direction.

Not until cell companies stop charging extortionist rates for data. Until then, local storage will be king.

----------

"The MacBook Air is very tempting, but it would be really nice if there was something in the same price range that didn't have a keyboard or any sort of external expansion ports, had a very low-power GPU, and only let me use one app at a time."

:D

I never understood the penchant for comparing an iPad or any tablet to a full computer. Yes, the Macbook Air has a keyboard and ports and is more capable. But on the other hand, most people don't stand up, holding a Macbook Air in one hand and typing on the keyboard with the other. Not very practicable.

Apples and oranges.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Continual surprise updates like this will cause buyers to freeze and wait out of fear of buying something outdated. I'm getting sick of it. New products and even incremental updates from apple used to have much more punch.

On the flip side, new Android tablets are introduced every new months, causing buyers to freeze and wait out for whats next.

Humm, actually, I don't see much hesitation in Android market at all.

It is the new normal. Apple cannot afford 10 month product cycle updates any more.

----------

Not until cell companies stop charging extortionist rates for data. Until then, local storage will be king.

No, its at your fingertips, no wait for download aspect.

Tastes great
Less filling
Tastes GREAT!
LESS FILLING! :D

But, yeah, memory is king.

(Will Apple drop the 16gb line now that 128 is on sale?
And is it only for iPad 4?
EDIT: Just saw the other new announcement of larger capacities, ignore this comment)

Speculation: Is this a result of slowing iPad 4 sales??

Last edited:

Aug 19, 2008

128 gb is now going to be old hat for the iPad 5. They'd better have some even better ideas up their sleeve if they expect anyone to blink at it

Actually I do believe it's the quite opposite reaction.

Continuous incremental updates will mean one thing: Don't wait until any specific date because new things will never stop to come. Just buy when you want or need something.

Since it will be just slightly incremental updates, if you buy something and a "new" one is release, you won't miss much and you won't rush to change it. Of course, hardcore Apple fanboy that always want the very "last" thing will be angry, but Apple is targeting mass market now... and mass market don't care much to wait for any specific date because a "new" thing will be release.

They need a new phone, they buy a the last new phone without even knowing and spending their entire time on forums to know if a new version of this phone will ever come.

If Apple will release a new iPhone/iPad in March, it will clearly say: Annual cycle is over, now just buy whatever you want, when you want... It will also reduce the production and shipping rush that any new product could produce by the past. It will smooth production and will give more development flexibility to Apple (not being tied to any specific schedule).

It might piss off few hardcore Apple users, but in the end, I do believe that could be a very good thing for everyone.

No more endless wait because you want to buy an Apple product but you fear a complete and drastic new design one will come anytime soon...

My 2 cents

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Verizon and AT&T have confirmed to MacRumors that they will both carry the 128GB iPad's cellular variant when it launches on February 5th. Earlier, Sprint confirmed to iMore that it will also be carrying the new device.

AT&T is particularly noteworthy because the carrier is offering $100 off tablets purchased with a 2-year data contract through February 14th.

Apple added support for a number of new LTE carriers in the iOS 6.1 update that was released yesterday, and presumably all those carriers -- as well as normal iPad sales channels -- will carry the new 128GB iPad on launch day.

Article Link: Verizon, Sprint and AT&T Confirm They Will Carry 128GB iPad WiFi + Cellular

A two year data contract? I don't think so - not for me. No contract month to month is what I am talking about.

----------

Haha! I believe it is, the correct answer is, if you need 128 GB iPad get the macbook air instead LOL!

Eh....MBA costs more and doesn't have built-in 4G....

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Do you actually need the extra capacity? What are the use cases for the extra storage between 64gb and 128gb?

Rocketman

Actually yes. I _only_ have about 8GB of freespace left on 64GB and this regularly runs out with me click-clickety-clicking pictures and video. In a sense it's alright because it gets me to sync more often (reducing the chance of losing my data), but I can imagine a few scenarios where I might need more space (in which I'd have to start deleting large games/apps to reclaim that space on just 64GBs)

For newer devices, you would need that extra storage when they up the megapixels on the camera.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
When you factor in the life of the product and the exceedingly high residual value, the extra cost for the extra storage is trivial. To me the bottleneck to synching and clouding (offloading/onloading) your data is narrow IP pipes. Even with 11.n and LTE and Lightning. It wouldn't hurt to have better management rules so "all done with" content is archived.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.