Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I would love to see these price points for the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2:

iPad 5
32GB - $399
64GB - $499
128GB - $599

iPad mini 2 retina
32GB - $329
64GB - $429
128GB - $529

(16GB iPad mini non-retina @ $229)

Maybe I'm dreaming for 2013, but eventually...

Not a chance. Maybe in 5 years.

CarlElvis

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
This REEKS of desperation.

I don't want to hear a peep out of Apple until they put a retina display in the iPad mini.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Not a chance. Maybe in 5 years.

I think less than 5 years, maybe in 1 or 2 years. We know how Sony's greed did them in (among other things) and that should be a lesson to Apple.

----------

I don't want to hear a peep out of Apple until they put a retina display in the iPad mini.

I'm sure they'll be peeping about that soon enough, to the dismay of first gen iPad mini owners.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Would someone please refresh my memory as to why the Surface Pro is a rip off and no one would spend that much money for one? I seem to have forgotten.

pjfla

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Think its a safe bet that the 5th gen will come with 128gb option? How about mini?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
May be the technology is not ready? Apple rely on the technology from it's supplier. Samsung mass produce the 128 GB flash chip in Sept. Intel and Micron ship their 20nm 128GB chip in Dec... It sound about right that Apple ship 128GB version of Ipad now..

http://www.eetimes.com/design/memory-design/4396594/Samsung-mass-producing-128-GB-embedded-NAND

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-and-micron-produce-first-128gb-nand-chip

Interesting. Up til this point, I was assuming that they hadn't offered the 128gb option because they didn't think enough people wanted it.

I would love to see these price points for the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2:

iPad 5
32GB - $399
64GB - $499
128GB - $599

iPad mini 2 retina
32GB - $329
64GB - $429
128GB - $529

(16GB iPad mini non-retina @ $229)

Maybe I'm dreaming for 2013, but eventually...

If you could just convince Apples shareholders, maybe just maybe;)

Last edited:

Imacer99

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Apple burning people for their money , just came out with a 4. This much money almost buy a Macbook Pro and get more out of it. What a company....

incubi26

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
I don't think this is going to stop the stock from it's downward spiral. If anything I hope it does keep sliding so maybe apple can open it's eyes. They were going to realize sooner or later that people are going to want more from the minor upgrades they've done. I truly hope this triggers for more innovation from them.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Going from 64GB to 128GB does not sound all that bad, business and all, 16GB to 32Gb for a hundred will always look bad, memory is likely one of the cheapest (depending on how any GBs) components and they based so much of their profit on it because it is easy to market. (Everyone does this) It is about time the 16GB drops away and the 32GB becomes the entry level tablet at the original 16GB cost.

Good for those who wanted the 128GB and it is FINALLY here, memory has been really slow for awhile now.

Not going to get on Apple or any other company for not innovating every single year, sure there are some upgrades that are done and a few that likely need to be done, most of those would not likely be innovation either. That seems to take longer, right now all we really get some most companies is spec bumps.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Dang!

I was thinking 128GB would mean that 32GB would become the new entry-level capacity (that would sell for, e.g., $499 for the full-sized retina iPad).

Oh well. This is good for someone, I suppose. I just wish it had been good for me (I've got my eye on a 64GB iPad around the end of the year to replace my 1st gen iPad and was hoping this would mean it would be $100 cheaper than before.)

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
The iPad has been having a weird year... Not even a year ago on March 15, 2012 the iPad 3 came out. November 2, 2012 the iPad 4 came out with no real boost in performance and also the iPad Mini was released, now this iPad, again not really a performance boost but more of a storage one. So I guess you can say 4 new iPads a in one year? Apple, GET BACK TO YOUR PRODUCT CYCLES!!!!! This is annoying.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

Wow, this is the silliest thing I've read on the internet all day, and I was reading the comments section of some yahoo sports articles. Nice job.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for stating the obvious. But wouldn't it be nice if Apple "innovated" by making something more accessible to buyers instead of even it more unaffordable? Apple's guiding principal is to push the market to the limit of what it will bear.

How Apple prices its flash memory is a joke. I can routinely pick up flash for 50c a GB and sometimes 33c a GB at retail. Apple uses flash storage as a "hostage" marketing tactic, enabled by its closed locked-down devices.

Apple's stock price reflects that there are only so many suckers in the market, and Apple will have to find an "innovation," other than gouging the customer, soon.

That's why I vote with my wallet by not buying inflated priced items such as Apple RAM for my Mac mini.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Dude, why?
It's hard to imagine they would come out with a new model in just a month after they announce this upgrade which a few people would probably buy. It'd be kind of screwing those customers over. Imagine you buy it and then a month later they come out with the upgraded model for the same price. If they were going to do that, they would just wait a month to announce the 128GB upgrade with the new model.

Does this 128 GB move seem a little odd? Seems to me that this would kill the 64 GB model. If you're the kind of person who would need 64 GB and are willing to spend $699, it seems like a no-brainer to add $100 to get another 64 GB. I wonder which memory size hits the margin sweet spot.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Yeah, I do not think most people will buy this. I would rather buy a laptop instead, now Apple is not smart and very bad at business, and really showing "HOW HUNGARY THEY ARE"!

This shows me that they are desperate, and that is not good. Instead of having smart, methodical releases, they are jumping the gun and doing whatever.

So sad I would have bought one too and i am sure so many would have.

BUT THAT IS JUST TO MUCH MONEY FOR A TABLET!

I will skip it and I have never even had one yet! Will wait till price goes down. I am smart and methodic like apple should be. I am the ultimate hit man and only buy when right. I shoot sheep-- I am a sheep hit man.. but never a sheep.

Bye kiddies. Oh, and be smart this time around. If no one buys the price will go down, guaranteed! If you do buy then you are part of the price problem.

Peace:eek:
I think this should be awarded post of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.