Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSedan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
I reluctantly went on Craigslist to trade my AT&T iPhone 4 16GB for a Sprint iPhone. I finally found someone who doesn't "seem" shady, but who knows. I'm extremely weary of Craigslist, but have pretty much no other option.

I verified the IMEI of the phone, I've seen pictures of said phone...

What else can I do to make sure this phone is functional?

I have a feeling (by googling his email address) that he is a computer tech of some sort; I found a very similar username on an embedded software support forum.

PLEASE let me know if there's anything else I should know or can ask this guy before I trade with him.

TIA

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I've purchased three iPhones through Craigslist and had good luck each time. It sounds like you've done your due diligence, but check to see that it connects to a wifi network, toggle the airplane mode and see if it reconnects. Bluetooth as well, make sure it works, if you can. Good luck!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I've purchased three iPhones through Craigslist and had good luck each time.

That's great for you but that doesnt mean the OP might not have any problems.
Many people got scammed, robbed, assaulted and many other crazy things with CL deals. One should always be aware and cautious when meeting random people from the internet;)

RSedan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
haha, i am proceeding with extreme caution. thank you for this info, i hadn't thought of the airplane, bluetooth, etc. any other advice? i will ask to meet at a sprint or apple store, however i don't want to spend the entire day with this stranger so i'd like to know of things to check for right away. thanks!

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
That's great for you but that doesnt mean the OP might not have any problems.
Many people got scammed, robbed, assaulted and many other crazy things with CL deals. One should always be aware and cautious when meeting random people from the internet;)

Absolutely. One puts a great amount of trust in human decency by using Craigslist. I was more focused on verifying the functional aspects of the phone. I had someone tell me that Craigslist is a contact sport, so proceed accordingly.

RSedan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
seeing as this guy may be a computer tech, is there anything he could do to make the phone appear functional, even if it is not? the content i saw on the embedded software website was all super...L33t...so to speak. it just reminded me of what a friend showed me back in his hacker days; none of it made sense to me. i'm also paranoid that he's done something to the phone that will allow him to turn the camera on without me knowing, or send all of my info (once i'm using the phone) to his computer. clearly, i've watched one too many episodes of criminal minds, but hey...it happens. am i being ridiculous?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
haha, i am proceeding with extreme caution. thank you for this info, i hadn't thought of the airplane, bluetooth, etc. any other advice? i will ask to meet at a sprint or apple store, however i don't want to spend the entire day with this stranger so i'd like to know of things to check for right away. thanks!

Yeah. Check the headphone jack, speakers, volume buttons, all the buttons for that matter. Tell the other party you need a good 5 to 10 minutes to check it out. They should be doing the same with your phone. Ask him if he is the original owner. Ask sprint if they know the original activation date. Does it gibe with his story? I did walk away from one deal when I became certain the iPhone in question had been stolen, so trust your instincts. And bring a friend.

----------

seeing as this guy may be a computer tech, is there anything he could do to make the phone appear functional, even if it is not? the content i saw on the embedded software website was all super...L33t...so to speak. it just reminded me of what a friend showed me back in his hacker days; none of it made sense to me. i'm also paranoid that he's done something to the phone that will allow him to turn the camera on without me knowing, or send all of my info (once i'm using the phone) to his computer. clearly, i've watched one too many episodes of criminal minds, but hey...it happens. am i being ridiculous?

Ummm. That sounds kind of....crazy paranoid? Are you serious or just vamping up the drama factor? A full restore of the phone would placate me, but with the thoughts you're wrestling with, maybe not. Might I suggest.... Actually I don't know what to tell you. Oh yeah, now I know, Hollywood is lying to entertain you.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Time to take your tinfoil hat off:D
If you're uncomfortable just plug it to itunes and hit restore.
This will leave it on stock clean firmware version with nothing on it.

RSedan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
ha! i'm actually being totally serious. on top of the fact that i'm a naturally paranoid person, my original iphone 4 was stolen. i was lucky enough to have a friend give me her old iphone4 when she upgraded. her used iphone is all i have, and i'm so scared that i'm gonna get screwed over, again.

----------

Time to take your tinfoil hat off:D
If you're uncomfortable just plug it to itunes and hit restore.
This will leave it on stock clean firmware version with nothing on it.

this is in regards to my paranoia of being watched right? (that sounds so dumb...)

is there anything i can do (besides what has already been suggested) as far as making sure the phone functions properly? do you think a tech @ the sprint store will be able to spot any malfunctions?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You should be fine bro.
Dont over analyze it. You're not buying a house, its just an old used cellphone.
Check it out for a minute, play with it, make sure you can activate it on your number and you'll be ok.
Take a few anti-anxiety pills before you go:D

RSedan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
update & thanks

Sooo I have a practically brand new iPhone 4!! I met up with someone from CL and it all worked out. The phone that is now mine still has applecare & is newer and in better condition than the AT&T one that I traded. It's only 8gb, but i don't even care about that.... thanks guys for the suggestions & your input... and for making me laugh @ the hollywood & tinfoil hat comments...lmao.

ThaaaaaaNks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.