Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Sorry in advance if this subject has been discussed already. I tried finding answers through the search function but wasn't successful.

So considering the iPhone 5 is out and the next generation model will come out in less than 6 months, is it still worth paying $200 for the iPhone 4 and $300 for the 4S? Is the 4S worth the extra $100? How long can I expect to keep receiving OS updates?

FWIW, I have a Lumia 710 atm but since I've bought an iPad I wish I could use some apps on both my tablet and phone. I'd be rocking the phone on a tmobile prepaid plan so LTE isn't a concern.

I'd mainly be using an iPhone for navigation, google voice, notes, calendar and a few specific apps for musicians. My main device will remain the iPad and will cover the more intensive tasks (GarageBand, games, etc.)

Thank you!

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If you're only deciding between the 4/4S, then definitely opt for the 4S. It will get supported a bit longer than the 4 and since it has the faster processor it'll handle the next version of iOS better. And based on the usage you described, the 4S will work just fine. In fact, I still keep my old 4S around and it's fully updated and running like a champ. I expect it to handle the next version of iOS just fine (with some features omitted, of course, because companies like doing that).

(also nice to see another Windows Phone user, even though you're leaving :( )

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I actually got the 4S sometime around Thanksgiving last year, and I don't regret it. Like you, I have an iPad for more demanding apps and my iPhone is for a select number of functions like keeping track of tasks, minor photography and navigation, and I didn't see the need for LTE, so I was saving money.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Unlock good condition 4s usd$400 absolute max, 4 usd$300. Should be fine for your needs.

OS upgrade: obviously u want the newest hardware then, but who is forcing you to upgrade the OS?

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
If you're only deciding between the 4/4S, then definitely opt for the 4S. It will get supported a bit longer than the 4 and since it has the faster processor it'll handle the next version of iOS better. And based on the usage you described, the 4S will work just fine. In fact, I still keep my old 4S around and it's fully updated and running like a champ. I expect it to handle the next version of iOS just fine (with some features omitted, of course, because companies like doing that).

(also nice to see another Windows Phone user, even though you're leaving :( )

Hah! I really like my 710 but iOS is still by far the best mobile platform for musicians. Also, being invested in the Apple ecosystem, I wish everything were a little more integrated, that I could use some of the great apps I use on my iPad on my phone. It's nice to hear your 4S is handling the upgrade. It makes me more confident to own one in the long run.

I actually got the 4S sometime around Thanksgiving last year, and I don't regret it. Like you, I have an iPad for more demanding apps and my iPhone is for a select number of functions like keeping track of tasks, minor photography and navigation, and I didn't see the need for LTE, so I was saving money.

It seems like we're in a very similar boat. And yeah, I forgot photos. I would definitely take a lot of casual pics. Another vote for the 4S being a worthy choice.

Unlock good condition 4s usd$400 absolute max, 4 usd$300. Should be fine for your needs.

OS upgrade: obviously u want the newest hardware then, but who is forcing you to upgrade the OS?

Well, I've seen quite a few apps in the AppStore that don't support older versions of iOS. That's what I had in mind. If Apple comes up with some new power hungry background app feature or widgets and whatnot in the next version of iOS, I'm sure it would make no sense to upgrade an older phone and make it laggy.

Considering the prices you recommend, I would say there are a lot of out of touch folks on eBay.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Well, I've seen quite a few apps in the AppStore that don't support older versions of iOS. That's what I had in mind. If Apple comes up with some new power hungry background app feature or widgets and whatnot in the next version of iOS, I'm sure it would make no sense to upgrade an older phone and make it laggy.

Based on this new information then u definitely want the 4s and expect it to last u no more than 2 years.

Considering the prices you recommend, I would say there are a lot of out of touch folks on eBay.

Buying/Selling iPhone on eBay is been discussed ad-nauseum here. Do this, just go into a few listings and notice how many bidders have 0 (Zero) transaction history.

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah I've noticed that on eBay. Honestly, I'll probably get one local. Cheaper, more reliable and less hassle.

2 years would be ok I guess but definitely makes me reconsider how much I want to spend.

Another vote for the 4S!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It makes sense to buy a phone that you enjoy using and is able to perform all the functions you want it to.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just curious when you need this. If it's now, then get the 4S.

If you can wait until the next iPhone comes out (June/July??) then you could maybe pay the same for the 5 or get the 4S for even less.

Personally, I should be able to upgrade in July. I'm actually planning on keeping my 4S another year and get the 6 or whatever Apple has then. Nothing against the 5 but I'd like to get on the 1st run cycle and, honestly, the 4S does everything I need it to do, except roam on AT&T's network. :confused:

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I'm gonna probably pick up a 4S at BestBuy this week. I had a 4S on Verizon for a year but finally had to cancel it due to horrible service at my house. I had no 3G here and dropped calls all the time. I kept my AT&T 3GS line open all this time because I had to have a phone that I can actually make calls on. I sold the 4S on eBay for $375.

I've been contract free since May and the iPhone 5 just didn't interest me so I still want a 4S.

The rumors of a 128GB iPhone could interest me but since 2007 and the first iPhone, I've come to realize that I was wasting money every year by getting the model with the most storage.

Yes, I see a 4S in my future once again. I seriously enjoyed using the old one, just not on Verizon.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The rumors of a 128GB iPhone could interest me but since 2007 and the first iPhone, I've come to realize that I was wasting money every year by getting the model with the most storage.

Not to disagree with you or anything, but could you share your reasoning? When I bought my 4S I opted for the 32GB one and so far, I'm glad I did. I don't have to worry about what to sync or anything. My friend's been having loads of issues with her 16GB one and running out of room. I'm not sure why though, but whatever.

BTW, now that I have a newer car and I'm not able to play music, having this extra capacity isn't worth it. I'll be fixing this shortly though.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Hah! I really like my 710 but iOS is still by far the best mobile platform for musicians. Also, being invested in the Apple ecosystem, I wish everything were a little more integrated, that I could use some of the great apps I use on my iPad on my phone. It's nice to hear your 4S is handling the upgrade. It makes me more confident to own one in the long run.

Fair enough. I know that making the transition was a bit rough for me because of the whole ecosystem thing, but I have plans to come back when iOS strikes my fancy once again.

As for the 4S, yeah, I'm running iOS 6.1 and it's still good. No complaints from me.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I agree stay away from the iPhone 4 if not just for the death grip.

The 4s is much better in its specs.

Regarding the 5 its up to what your wanting.

If its quicker Internet {Lte/4g} a lighter iPhone and new design then its a worthwhile purchase.

After all if one waited for whats new out around the corner , then one wouldn't actually make a purchase at all.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I agree stay away from the iPhone 4 if not just for the death grip.

The 4s is much better in its specs.

Regarding the 5 its up to what your wanting.

If its quicker Internet {Lte/4g} a lighter iPhone and new design then its a worthwhile purchase.

After all if one waited for whats new out around the corner , then one wouldn't actually make a purchase at all.

Wait, isn't the 5 able to use T-Mobile's LTE network? I thought I remember something about that.

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Overwhelming vote of confidence for the 4S. I guess as mentioned above I could wait and get a 5 when the 5S comes out, but then I could wait again and get the 5S cheaper, etc. I don't care if I don't have the latest and greatest. I may sell my iPad and upgrade yearly as its my main computing device, but even then I don't know if I'll actually bother.

As for tmobile, afaik LTE isn't coming to iPhone users any time soon. They are refarming their towers for 4G / HSPA+ and they still haven't finished that. I'm sure they'll have faster data eventually but that's at least 2 iPhone generations away.

----------

Yeah the AT&T 5 and the unlocked iPhone 5 will be compatible with T-Mobile LTE once they start rolling it out in a few months.

Oops, I guess I don't know what I'm talking about...

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Sorry in advance if this subject has been discussed already. I tried finding answers through the search function but wasn't successful.

So considering the iPhone 5 is out and the next generation model will come out in less than 6 months, is it still worth paying $200 for the iPhone 4 and $300 for the 4S? Is the 4S worth the extra $100? How long can I expect to keep receiving OS updates?

FWIW, I have a Lumia 710 atm but since I've bought an iPad I wish I could use some apps on both my tablet and phone. I'd be rocking the phone on a tmobile prepaid plan so LTE isn't a concern.

I'd mainly be using an iPhone for navigation, google voice, notes, calendar and a few specific apps for musicians. My main device will remain the iPad and will cover the more intensive tasks (GarageBand, games, etc.)

Thank you!

I have the 4S and had the chance to upgrade but decided not to since the 4S(in my opinion) is still a great device and runs iOS 6 completely and as of right now I have no need for the 5. Perhaps when iOS 9 comes out and the 4S is no longer supported for OS upgrade, then perhaps I will upgrade to the 5. But right now, I still like having the standard 30-pin connector and the ability to use what I already own.

And even though the 5 has LTE and T-mobile will be able to provide the coverage, that plan is almost as expensive as AT&T and working on 4G with the limits that T-Mobile places on access for the lower-priced plans for me is more practical.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Not to disagree with you or anything, but could you share your reasoning? When I bought my 4S I opted for the 32GB one and so far, I'm glad I did. I don't have to worry about what to sync or anything. My friend's been having loads of issues with her 16GB one and running out of room. I'm not sure why though, but whatever.

BTW, now that I have a newer car and I'm not able to play music, having this extra capacity isn't worth it. I'll be fixing this shortly though.

The only time I use my phone for music is when I am at work closing down for the night. I will have anywhere from 5-45 minutes to listen so it doesn't make sense for me to have 64GB or this summer, 128GB. I often have my iPod Nano with me and my 160GB Classic is always in the car.

Even on my 16GB Nano, I still have yet to listen to everything on it and I have owned it since July.

papen

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
You were like me. I guess the only different part was I had a Galaxy S2. Before it, I used an Iphone 4. The only reason I bought the S2 was the web browsing is a lot faster since I used it a lot in campus as I didn't have a laptop. After few months, I realized I liked iOS more than Android and so I had a hard time deciding between Iphone 4s or Iphone 5.

It's just my opinion but I went to Apple store to actually try out the Iphone 5. To be honest, it's TOO light. It felt cheap, even comparing to my S2. The screen was a lot smaller comparing to my S2, so I had no any special feeling about the bigger screen. Eventually, I sold the S2, got a 4s and happy with it until now. Did I mention I'm using it without case? It feels really good in hand!

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
here's my idea... if it's within budget and you can afford the extra, then go for the 5.

if not, 4s is perfectly capable iPhone. it does everything the 5 can except the upgrades.

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
You were like me. I guess the only different part was I had a Galaxy S2. Before it, I used an Iphone 4. The only reason I bought the S2 was the web browsing is a lot faster since I used it a lot in campus as I didn't have a laptop. After few months, I realized I liked iOS more than Android and so I had a hard time deciding between Iphone 4s or Iphone 5.

It's just my opinion but I went to Apple store to actually try out the Iphone 5. To be honest, it's TOO light. It felt cheap, even comparing to my S2. The screen was a lot smaller comparing to my S2, so I had no any special feeling about the bigger screen. Eventually, I sold the S2, got a 4s and happy with it until now. Did I mention I'm using it without case? It feels really good in hand!

Oh, that's interesting. I should go check out the 5 in person.

here's my idea... if it's within budget and you can afford the extra, then go for the 5.

if not, 4s is perfectly capable iPhone. it does everything the 5 can except the upgrades.

Yeah this is a valid option too. It would make sense to buy the latest generation, but do I really need that extra screen and lightness?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It would make sense to buy the latest generation, but do I really need that extra screen and lightness?

In your case is not that, the 5 CPU is 2x as fast as the 4s, therefore contributing to your "able to load the latest OS for as long as possible."

Although when I played with both side-by-side, I really liked the bigger Maps, and the 5 seemed a tad more responsive. BUT I did ended up with a 4s as I just LUV the All-Glass + Metal Band, not to mention my accountant approves. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.