Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:01 AM   #26
Jodles
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I don't train for weight loss either. I'm just wondering which one of these should I get?
To be honest, I haven't found an app that suits me, because I'm doing so many different things (shake it up) and weird exercises. Instead I take good notes from each exercise using Day One journaling app (which is on both my Mac and iPhone which is a bonus), and sometimes check my heartrate etc with a Polar watch, and my avg speed cycling to work with a cycling computer that I just type into excel to make a nice little graph...

Maybe I need to make an app myself that is the all-inclusive, flexible app I'm looking for:P
Jodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:37 AM   #27
mlblacy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: the REAL Jersey Shore
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladroit View Post
Just a warning--I got an UP yesterday, charged it, synced it a few times to try it out, and now it's completely dead. No indicator lights, no charging, no syncing. Straight up dead.
send it back. They will replace it...
mlblacy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 08:36 AM   #28
celticgrid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Just to add some more input.

I have a Fuelband and have had it since June 2012. I am still using it. Yes, it is a bit of an expensive motivator, but as a device it works very well for me as a motivator. People will be different, but for me it provided motivation through the numbers and tracking. I look at the expense per lb....how much weight it has helped me lose...and it is not expensive! Now it keeps me honest in my new daily routine for exercise levels per day.

Syncs to computer when connected, or to iPhone via Bluetooth. No problems in 7 months now.
celticgrid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:26 AM   #29
dinggus
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblacy View Post
Best of luck with it, and report back your experiences... PS: this is from the Fuel website...
NikeFuel counts all the activities of your athletic life. Running, walking, basketball. Nike+ devices measure your moves and turn them into NikeFuel. And since NikeFuel is calculated the same way for everyone, you can compare and compete with anyone.
Thanks, I wonder if it tracks the distance I run. If not, I can always use the Nike+GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodles View Post
To be honest, I haven't found an app that suits me, because I'm doing so many different things (shake it up) and weird exercises. Instead I take good notes from each exercise using Day One journaling app (which is on both my Mac and iPhone which is a bonus), and sometimes check my heartrate etc with a Polar watch, and my avg speed cycling to work with a cycling computer that I just type into excel to make a nice little graph...

Maybe I need to make an app myself that is the all-inclusive, flexible app I'm looking for:P
Contact an app developer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgrid View Post
Just to add some more input.

I have a Fuelband and have had it since June 2012. I am still using it. Yes, it is a bit of an expensive motivator, but as a device it works very well for me as a motivator. People will be different, but for me it provided motivation through the numbers and tracking. I look at the expense per lb....how much weight it has helped me lose...and it is not expensive! Now it keeps me honest in my new daily routine for exercise levels per day.

Syncs to computer when connected, or to iPhone via Bluetooth. No problems in 7 months now.
So you lost 150lbs? Lol. I just think $150 for a watch/activity tracker is alot.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 06:55 AM   #30
mlblacy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: the REAL Jersey Shore
review of Up by the Wall Street Journal...

Ding, actually there are a lot of people who would gladly pay $150 to lose even just 25lbs, especially if the weight loss is not tied to gimmicks like powders, pills, shakes, crappy prepared food (all of which likely would cost more in the long run). To me, it is a chance to try and build healthier long term habits, as opposed to a quick fix or a January resolution.

Here is the WSJ review:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...457618498.html
mlblacy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:39 PM   #31
dinggus
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblacy View Post
Ding, actually there are a lot of people who would gladly pay $150 to lose even just 25lbs, especially if the weight loss is not tied to gimmicks like powders, pills, shakes, crappy prepared food (all of which likely would cost more in the long run). To me, it is a chance to try and build healthier long term habits, as opposed to a quick fix or a January resolution.

Here is the WSJ review:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...457618498.html
I understand. Thank you, I'll read it.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:14 AM   #32
maladroit
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblacy View Post
send it back. They will replace it...
I just did a straight return. I'm going to wait for the new Fitbit bracelet to come out.
__________________
15" MBP 2.6 i7; iPhone 5 32 gb
maladroit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:56 PM   #33
dinggus
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgrid View Post
Just to add some more input.

I have a Fuelband and have had it since June 2012. I am still using it. Yes, it is a bit of an expensive motivator, but as a device it works very well for me as a motivator. People will be different, but for me it provided motivation through the numbers and tracking. I look at the expense per lb....how much weight it has helped me lose...and it is not expensive! Now it keeps me honest in my new daily routine for exercise levels per day.

Syncs to computer when connected, or to iPhone via Bluetooth. No problems in 7 months now.
So, I went out and bought a fuel band on Sunday. Used it today and kind of disappointed... At myself! I thought I was more active than what Nike Fuel Band recorded! I was 2 lights away from reaching my goal. I woke up late, at 11am, went to breakfast, the outlet, the mall, and then the gym around 10:45pm. Still didn't make my my goal

Another thing is, I keep checking my wrist and get disappointed when I'm so far away from my goal, haha. This thing is going to either get me in even better shape or removed from my wrist!
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:41 PM   #34
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I'm confused on why people are buying Nike Fuelband, Jawbone UP, FitOne, etc.

Can someone explain to me the reason for tracking daily activities? I work out almost daily, and try to eat 6 small meals a day, etc. So, I'm just curious if this is just hype or if it's really working for people.

In my eyes, I just see it as an expensive motivator.
To be honest, I think it's because a lot of people out there feel that if they go buy expensive, name-brand products, they're going to accomplish their fitness goals (faster, or even, if, at all). I see it so many times; people buy Under Armour, the last $200 running shoes, etc, and they aren't even serious about working out or athletes.

Now on the other hand, if you're serious about working out or some type of athlete, then that's a totally different story.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
"Everything for the people, nothing by the people."

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 PM   #35
dinggus
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
To be honest, I think it's because a lot of people out there feel that if they go buy expensive, name-brand products, they're going to accomplish their fitness goals (faster, or even, if, at all). I see it so many times; people buy Under Armour, the last $200 running shoes, etc, and they aren't even serious about working out or athletes.

Now on the other hand, if you're serious about working out or some type of athlete, then that's a totally different story.
I agree, but I'm serious. Been hittin the gym since 2005 on and off and have been on for almost 2 years now.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:47 AM   #36
halledise
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Wouldn't you see improvements in a few months of the gym?
you'll see much better real improvements in the comfort of your own verandah, not in an overcrowded sweaty gym, with one of these babies - best investment I ever made.
and you can monitor progress, built-in

****************Yy25b

(I got mine for Aus $850 delivered, there are same under different brand names (Bayou Fitness) available in the US)

also, consider one of these - ****************exizK - I picked up one for Aus$600 delivered that had been used just 5 times. ($1200 new)

so, 18-24 months gym membership = personal total gym training at home.

tip - get comfortable with an established routine of going to the gym 5-6 days a week for a couple of months before making this investment.
too many people buy a set-up for home and lose interest after a few weeks (days!) - then again it makes for some bargains for the rest of us

as an aside, I'm 63 and the missus is coming up to 62 therefore we're not trying to prove anything, just keep it all working; this setup does it for us very nicely

ps. we work out with flip-flops on the X-trainer and bare feet on the total trainer
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:03 AM   #37
marc11
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
you'll see much better real improvements in the comfort of your own verandah, not in an overcrowded sweaty gym, with one of these babies - best investment I ever made.
and you can monitor progress, built-in

****************Yy25b

(I got mine for Aus $850 delivered, there are same under different brand names (Bayou Fitness) available in the US)

also, consider one of these - ****************exizK - I picked up one for Aus$600 delivered that had been used just 5 times. ($1200 new)

so, 18-24 months gym membership = personal total gym training at home.

tip - get comfortable with an established routine of going to the gym 5-6 days a week for a couple of months before making this investment.
too many people buy a set-up for home and lose interest after a few weeks (days!) - then again it makes for some bargains for the rest of us

as an aside, I'm 63 and the missus is coming up to 62 therefore we're not trying to prove anything, just keep it all working; this setup does it for us very nicely

ps. we work out with flip-flops on the X-trainer and bare feet on the total trainer
I have a home gym, treadmill and bike in my house, never used them! But finally joinging the gym and I was incented to go on my way to or home from work, been going 4 to 5 days a week for a year now and do not see it stopping; in fact I work my life schedule around the gym days and not the other way around; I never have an excuse not to work out. Now I only use the home gym on days when getting to the gym is not possible as a back up solution.

Too many distractions at home and too easy to say that I will do it in the morning or after this one show, etc and never make it down to the workout room.

Me, I like the gym. I like working out with other people around and I like the variety, sometimes I use machines, or cables or dumbells or barbells, etc I like to mix it up.

BTW my gym cost USD10 per month, plus annual fee of $25. So my yearly membership is $145 USD. That means about 6 years to pay for that home gym...just saying.
__________________
Various Apple Products
marc11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:47 AM   #38
dinggus
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
I have a home gym, treadmill and bike in my house, never used them! But finally joinging the gym and I was incented to go on my way to or home from work, been going 4 to 5 days a week for a year now and do not see it stopping; in fact I work my life schedule around the gym days and not the other way around; I never have an excuse not to work out. Now I only use the home gym on days when getting to the gym is not possible as a back up solution.

Too many distractions at home and too easy to say that I will do it in the morning or after this one show, etc and never make it down to the workout room.

Me, I like the gym. I like working out with other people around and I like the variety, sometimes I use machines, or cables or dumbells or barbells, etc I like to mix it up.

BTW my gym cost USD10 per month, plus annual fee of $25. So my yearly membership is $145 USD. That means about 6 years to pay for that home gym...just saying.
I agree, I enjoy the gym. Forces me to go out and get my money's worth. I pay $0 annual fee, and only $30/month at 24hr fitness. I don't like working out when it's busy, so I either go 7-9am or 10pm+. But I do like people there, I tend to lift more.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:13 AM   #39
halledise
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I agree, I enjoy the gym. Forces me to go out and get my money's worth. I pay $0 annual fee, and only $30/month at 24hr fitness. I don't like working out when it's busy, so I either go 7-9am or 10pm+. But I do like people there, I tend to lift more.
we pay $59 a month each hence the sums work for the home setup.
my point was that after 10+ years of gym - early mornings mostly and 6 days a week, the 2 appliances on the verandah at home overlooking the bush has been such a pleasant and economical alternative.

motivation is not an issue, but the growing number of posers at the public gym has become an issue.
also, no waiting for machines and no OP's sweat to wipe off
just my opinion.
still make it to the beach for a walk and a swim year round too
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:26 AM   #40
dinggus
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
we pay $59 a month each hence the sums work for the home setup.
my point was that after 10+ years of gym - early mornings mostly and 6 days a week, the 2 appliances on the verandah at home overlooking the bush has been such a pleasant and economical alternative.

motivation is not an issue, but the growing number of posers at the public gym has become an issue.
also, no waiting for machines and no OP's sweat to wipe off
just my opinion.
still make it to the beach for a walk and a swim year round too
Don't get me wrong, I see your point, and I've even considered turning my garage into a home gym. I use to work out in my buddies garage with the garage door up, it was nice, and getting to listen to our type of gym music was a plus. I asked my buddy if he wanted to do that, and he agreed it would be nice as well but we get more motivation to lift heavier when there's competition around.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:10 PM   #41
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblacy View Post
Dinggus, I was drawn to the Up partly on aesthetics, and also by the smaller size. If I was going to be living with this thing 24/7 it had to work as well under a dress shirt as it did with casual dress. I went with basic black. The thing looks way nicer than I expected. I do usually wear it backwards (shiny piece up), as it is easier typing with the larger smooth surface facing down. I am a designer, so I spend a lot of time working on the computer.

The device works in two parts, the band itself, and the iPhone app that aggregates all of your data (hence the need for manual syncing). A lot of fuss has been made of that, and honestly it is no big deal. Bluetooth would probably be a battery killer (I just checked mine and the battery is saying it has 10 days to go, which makes it worth the lack of bluetooth). Bluetooth is also not the greatest protocol either, and is a little buggy. (I have a number of devices, including a Jambox, and sometimes it is a pain to keep the connection alive, especially when the 2 devices get separated or go out of range) The app is free too (or $129, lol). I have had a few sync errors, but I just hit sync again and it always works on the second try. No big deal.

I do not shower with it, although you are supposed to be able to do that.

I bought it to spur activity, not track sleep. I was surprised that I did like the sleep tracking (even if the numbers are depressing). It shows the periods of light & deep sleep and offers some insight into your sleep patterns. PowerNap feature is killer, and you can adjust your nap time through the app.

The app also offers tips and advice based on your numbers & trends (daily, weekly, monthly). I learned that my activity levels place me in the top 25% of Up users (that figure scares me, lol. As I would not place myself in the top 25% of physically active people).

I am happy with the buy, and would buy one again. I hesitated based on the fiasco of the first gen product, but liked that they offered gen2 bands to all first gen owners. For better or worse this is the wave of the future, and for me it has helped make some concrete measurable lifestyle improvements.
Are you still liking your UP? I have been debating on both devices, but I think I'm going to get the UP today. Worst case, I am a silver member at Best Buy so I have 45 days to decide if I want to keep it.

Thanks!
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTake: Supplements and Pills Tracker iPhone app - Healthcare, Fitness irene777 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 Nov 10, 2013 05:42 PM
Run Hero - GPS Running, Cycling, Walking and Fitness Tracker Anas123 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Aug 15, 2013 12:07 AM
CES 2013: Wearable Health and Fitness Tracker Roundup MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 21 Jan 13, 2013 07:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC