Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Any attempt to log into one of the accounts on our Early 2008 PB/10.7.4 causes a "login loop" which crashes back to the login screen.

In order to get the machine functional again, I have created a new account for basic use.

Now how to I move the *data* from the broken account to the working one?

I am happy using Terminal if that is the solution.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Any attempt to log into one of the accounts on our Early 2008 PB/10.7.4 causes a "login loop" which crashes back to the login screen.

In order to get the machine functional again, I have created a new account for basic use.

Now how to I move the *data* from the broken account to the working one?

I am happy using Terminal if that is the solution.

Try this first, when you get to the login screen input the password and as fast as possible after you hit enter hold shift, this prevents any login items from launching.
This may solve the problem, if this works and get into the affected User Account open up Users And Groups and disable all login items.
Logout and in again, if this solved the problem you can then figure out which program was the problem.

But, before you remove any login items, make a screenshot so you know which Apps launch upon login.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Try this first, when you get to the login screen input the password and as fast as possible after you hit enter hold shift, this prevents any login items from launching.

This worked perfectly!

What's interesting is that I found hundreds of hits about holding down shift during startup to go into safe mode, but not one hit about holding down shift during login!

Thanks so much, the machine is running perfectly now.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This worked perfectly!

What's interesting is that I found hundreds of hits about holding down shift during startup to go into safe mode, but not one hit about holding down shift during login!

Thanks so much, the machine is running perfectly now.

:D

So, what is the offending program/Application?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.