Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
The question might seem odd, but hear me out. In Norway we don't have access to iTunes Match, so my 50 GB of music totally kills my iOS devices (and I don't like Spotify). My first iPad was an iPad 3, which I liked, but due to the retina apps taking insane amounts of space and the whole device being too heavy for my use, I bought an iPad mini. Non-retina looks bad, but the upside is that the apps are smaller so I can actually have a few apps.

But as my music collection grows, the iPad mini can't store apps and music anymore. I need an 128 GB iPad or iTunes Match.

So my question is: should I sell my mini and buy an iPad 4 with 128? I don't like the design and I think it's too heavy, but the retina is screen is gorgeous.

The most important factor is when the iPad 5 comes out. Is there a chance it will be out this spring, or will it be next fall? I don't want to buy an iPad 4 and then have the iPad 5 being released in a month. But I could buy an iPad 4 and keep it a half year and sell it just before the iPad 5 comes out without loosing too much. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
simply wait for the ipad5 and buy the 128gb version then. don't even bother thinking about getting the ipad4 and then reselling it. if even half the rumors or expectations of the ipad5 come true, the ipad4 will become the ipad3 eg. the ugly stepchild, in terms of desirablility.

personally, i would never keep that much music (50GB is overkill) on the ipad when there are better options (ipod) out there.

The question might seem odd, but hear me out. In Norway we don't have iTunes Match, so my 50 GB of music totally kills my iOS devices (and I don't like Spotify). My first iPad was an iPad 3, which I liked, but due to the retina apps taking insane amounts of space and the whole device being too heavy for my use, I bought an iPad mini. Non-retina looks bad, but the upside is that the apps are smaller so I can actually have a few apps.

But as my music collection grows, the iPad mini can't store apps and music anymore. I need an 128 GB iPad or iTunes Match.

So my question is: should I selø my mini and buy an iPad 4 with 128? I don't like the design and I think it's too heavy, but the retina is screen is gorgeous.

The most important factor is when the iPad 5 comes out. Is there a chance it will be out this spring, or will it be next fall? I don't want to buy an iPad 4 and then have the iPad 5 being released in a month. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

BmMac427

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Wait until March and see what happens. If nothing, go with the 4 if you need the space.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...So my question is: should I selø my mini and buy an iPad 4 with 128? I don't like the design and I think it's too heavy, but the retina is screen is gorgeous.

The most important factor is when the iPad 5 comes out. Is there a chance it will be out this spring, or will it be next fall? I don't want to buy an iPad 4 and then have the iPad 5 being released in a month. What do you guys think?

There will most likely be an Apple event for the iPad 5, so if there are no events are in the Spring then there will not be an iPad 5 in the Spring. Sell your Mini right before the next Apple event.

Until I got my 64Gb iPhone I used a smart playlist to manage the music on my low-capacity iPhones.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
"Need" LOL.

50GB is a lot of music.

Make playlists for different moods, activities etc. Sync just them.

My Spotify app with 12 playlists covers multiple for driving, studying, reading, working. 40-90 tracks each. 1.7GB total used for storage.

Or pay the storage tax for lack of organization.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If it were me, I would figure a way to reduce the amount of music I carry with me rather than buying new hardware.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
simply wait for the ipad5 and buy the 128gb version then. don't even bother thinking about getting the ipad4 and then reselling it. if even half the rumors or expectations of the ipad5 come true, the ipad4 will become the ipad3 eg. the ugly stepchild, in terms of desirablility.

This is your answer. There wasn't a "huge" leap by any means between 3 and 4. Processor bump is nice, but as far as "that's a completely redesigned device", there hasn't been any of that recently. The 5th generation iPad is going to be the one to have due to the form factor upgrade AND component upgrades. (And don't even act like it won't have both...it will)

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping

Exactly. Because the moment a new ipad is released, Apple release software updates that deem older models redundant thus turning them into a glorified brick, so heavy to hold you have to have to pay random strangers to lend a hand you when using it.

Buy the ipad that suits your need, buy it when you need it. And remember, if you wait until the Fall and buy one then, it will also be redundant 8 months later.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If it were me, I would figure a way to reduce the amount of music I carry with me rather than buying new hardware.

This. Signing up for iTunes Match for 24.99 would easily solve this problem. I have my 15,000+ song library on both of my 32 GB devices. I may never get anything more than 32 unless apps start becoming bigger than 2 GB.

EDIT* Oops, no iTunes Match in Norway. You may try Smart Playlists.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
iTunes match or Amazon Cloud for those who need access to all their music.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I see that a lot of people are saying I should "find a way to organize my music" or buy an iTunes Match subscription.

Music is a great passion for me, and I listen to it for about 6-7 hours a day. You quickly get tired of your music if you only have a selection of moody playlist to listen to. I usually buy about 2 new albums a week and actually listen to the whole thing. My whole music collection consists of whole albums that I like. In 320 kbps that easily adds up to 50 GB after a while. 100$ isn't so much when the alternative is to either use the horrid Spotify app, or constantly have to pick and try to predict which albums you might want to listen to the next day. Therefore 128 GB is a very valid option for me.

Of course I would buy iTunes Match, but if you guys read the OP, it says that iTunes Match isn't avaliable in Norway.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I see that a lot of people are saying I should "find a way to organize my music" or buy an iTunes Match subscription.

Music is a great passion for me, and I listen to it for about 6-7 hours a day. You quickly get tired of your music if you only selection of moody playlist. I buy about 2 new albums a week and actually listen to the whole thing. My whole music collection consists of whole albums that I like. In 320 kbps that easily adds up to 50 GB for a while. 100$ isn't so much when the alternative is to either use the horrid Spotify app, or constantly have to pick and try to predict which albums you might want to listen to the next day. Therefore 128 GB is a very valid option for me.

Of course I would buy iTunes Match, but if you guys read the OP, it says that iTunes Match isn't avaliable in Norway.

Then I would suggest getting an iPod classic which has a 160GB capacity. Yeah, it is an extra device to carry around and charge but to me it seems more effective than getting a new iPad and it has more storage than the new iPad. In addition you can start using your iPad for something other than listening to music. ;)

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Then I would suggest getting an iPod classic which has a 160GB capacity. Yeah, it is an extra device to carry around and charge but to me it seems more effective than getting a new iPad and it has more storage than the new iPad.

I fail to see how getting another device to play my music when I already use my iPad for about everything, could be more effective at all. It doesn't even have AirPlay. I think what you mean is that it would be cheaper.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I fail to see how getting another device to play my music when I already use my iPad for about everything, could be more effective at all. It doesn't even have AirPlay. I think what you mean is that it would be cheaper.

I thought I laid out my reasons fairly clearly, but incase I didn't:

1. iPod classic 160GB has more storage than the iPad. It has about 3 times the space as your music collection, while the iPad only has just over twice the space.

2. Since your ever growing, must have every song with me music collection is no longer filling up your iPad, you can start doing more on your iPad. Movies, photos, apps, etc.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OP it sounds like you've mostly set your heart on this anyway so just do it.

But I ask you this, if Apple had not announced 128gb - and had saved that till Fall would you have been so desperate for a 128gb ipad right now, or would you have been happily 'making do', with your current setup.

If you can make do, why not hold on until the autumn and buy an iPad 5 with 128gb.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I thought I laid out my reasons fairly clearly, but incase I didn't:

1. iPod classic 160GB has more storage than the iPad. It has about 3 times the space as your music collection, while the iPad only has just over twice the space.

2. Since your ever growing, must have every song with me music collection is no longer filling up your iPad, you can start doing more on your iPad. Movies, photos, apps, etc.

I see your points, but there are just so many downsides:
- The device sucks: clickwheel plain doesn't cut it when you have so many artists and albums
- I have to carry another device with me.
- It doesn't have AirPlay

I don't think I need 160 GB of storage space in a few years. By then I hope iTunes Match is released in Norway. 128 will be enough for 2-3 years.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

In the US the only way the iPod Classic is cheaper is if you get the 16GB iPad.

The 128GB iPad is $200 more expensive than the 32GB iPad, and the iPod Classic is $250.

305rob305

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2011
Bad idea... If it doesn't come out in March then for sure it will come out towards the end of the year. Sucks to wait till March or April buying it and then the 5 comes out few months later. Either you get it now or wait for the 5 when it comes out sometime this year for sure

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... But I could buy an iPad 4 and keep it a half year and sell it just before the iPad 5 comes out without loosing too much. What do you guys think?

I think that's a great idea given your circumstances and preferences. The only risk is that you might lose a little more if Apple drops the price of the 128gb later in the year. To me, it seems a bit overpriced for an iPad - even right now. Who knows where tablet price points will be in 6 months?

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
OP it sounds like you've mostly set your heart on this anyway so just do it.

But I ask you this, if Apple had not announced 128gb - and had saved that till Fall would you have been so desperate for a 128gb ipad right now, or would you have been happily 'making do', with your current setup.

If you can make do, why not hold on until the autumn and buy an iPad 5 with 128gb.

Now that's a good point. I've always wanted a 128 GB iPad, but on the other hand I've always wanted a much lighter iPad too..

Sorry if I seem like a douche in some of my replies, but I'm just trying to find out what fits my needs the best. I appreciate all of your suggestions!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.