Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While iOS 6.1 brought several widely publicized new features such as support for several dozen new LTE carriers and new support for ordering Fandango movie tickets through Siri in the United States, a number of other minor changes were also included in the update. Given the frequency with which our readers have been pointing some of them out, we thought it would be appropriate to make note of them in a brief roundup.

- Lock screen music controls: The music controls on the iPhone's lock screen have been enhanced as noted by TUAW, bringing them in line with those in the Music app.

music.jpg
music-prev.jpg
The shortcut controls, accessed by pressing the home button twice while on the lock screen, have adopted both the look and layout of the Music app. One notable change is that the previous and next buttons are now much further apart from the play/pause button, making them much less likely to be pressed accidentally.

The volume knob also copies the Music app's visual trick of using the phone's accelerometer to vary the angle of virtual reflections on it.

- Maps "Report a Problem" button: Apple has tweaked the "Report a Problem" button in its Maps app, accessible in the preferences section by tapping at the lower right corner of the map page. The option had previously been a small text link, but Apple has now made it a much more prominent and accessible button which is actually now the largest button on the page.

maps_report_problem_button.jpg
- Rapid diagonal swiping issue improved: Several readers have noted that an issue with rapid diagonal swiping on the iPhone 5 and fifth-generation iPod touch resulting in loss of touch recognition appears to have been fixed or at least improved in iOS 6.1. Not all readers have experienced improvements, however, with some indicating that performance remains the same under iOS 6.1.

Article Link: iOS 6.1 Tidbits: Music Controls on Lock Screen, Maps 'Report a Problem' Button, Diagonal Swiping Bug

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The shadows serve no purpose, why are they wasting more time on that waste of time. Particularly given the bad taste left behind by so much effort out into it for the original release that was full of serious bugs.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I love that the reflection changes as you move your phone via the accelerometer. Wonderful detail here! Just like the icon on icloud.com when you move your mouse.

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
The shadows serve no purpose, why are they wasting more time on that waste of time. Particularly given the bad taste left behind by so much effort out into it for the original release that was full of serious bugs.

I concur...give us features that we actually care about.

I'm sure this little reflection change won't even make it to iOS7

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Verizon's carrier version was 14.0 on the iPhone 5 on the 6.1 release, but then this morning I got a message that the carrier information was updated. Checked and it was 14.1.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The maps 'report a problem' button is not new (which I know you stated). It's been there from the beginning. People just dont bother as Apple dont fix the problems.

Moving the button and making it more prominent really wont fix maps. It just makes it more obvious that Apple are having a hard time doing it themselves.

Stuff I reported on launch day is still not fixed.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Useless feature, but great to see you're listening to Oingo Boingo!

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
That's great that the swiping issue was a bug. Just an argument starter---->(Some people play games that involve swiping rapidly, stop complaining about having/not having problems with it);)

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
speak for yourself

I like this, abeit small touch. It says to me that Apple cares about small niceties. And, why wouldn't it make it to iOS 7? :apple:

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I'm also able to control my music from my iPhone when it's connected via usb in my car. It used to say accessory connected and I either had to use the car controls or select my music then plug it in. I love this!

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Hallelujah! I'm sure a lot of people will consider this an insignificant update, but it's a big improvement for me.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit the forward or backward button instead of the play/pause button and then spent several minutes trying to find where I was in the book.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The lock screen controls and maps button update are a nice thing. I remember when Apple Maps first came out I was looking for a way to report problems.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Track and Pause Controls on Lock Screen

Since Apple enabled Lock Screen track and pause controls I've felt that the three buttons were much too close.
I've been using a jailbreak fix for a year or two. Good they adjusted this for those who are in jail.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
The lock screen controls and maps button update are a nice thing. I remember when Apple Maps first came out I was looking for a way to report problems.

I found the way to report problems when it launched and reported several that have yet to be fixed.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Super. Now fix the podcast app.

The podcast app is the most obvious example of Apple's horribly dysfunctional software design. I hope this app is the last of the legacy of Scott Forstall.

The interface is nothing like any other Apple app. It is not intuitive to use or easy to figure out how to use. The control layout not consistent with any other app. The controls themselves are tiny little buttons and hard to hit with an adult fingertip. The relationship between Library, playlist, and episode is so disjointed and without flow. Oh! But it's got a really ridiculous skeuomorphic reel-to-reel tapedeck animation when you finally succeed in getting a podcast to play. Super. Right now while trying to write about it, I feel myself getting more confused as I try to explain why I think this app is just bad.

So, it's super that a couple of buttons got moved apart in iTunes. Now deal with this tangled rat's nest that is the podcast app.

<steps down from soapbox of rant, picks up espresso, and slinks away>

utwarreng

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2009

The reflection has been in since iOS 6 came out, just only within the Music app (and possibly Podcast...?).

Complaining about how much time they spent on this "feature" is a moot point, as they most certainly just copied the code over from these other apps and replaced the existing button. Come down from your soapbox and put the razorblade down, chicken little. The sky is not falling.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The podcast app is the most obvious example of Apple's horribly dysfunctional software design. I hope this app is the last of the legacy of Scott Forstall.

The interface is nothing like any other Apple app. It is not intuitive to use or easy to figure out how to use. The control layout not consistent with any other app. The controls themselves are tiny little buttons and hard to hit with an adult fingertip. The relationship between Library, playlist, and episode is so disjointed and without flow. Oh! But it's got a really ridiculous skeuomorphic reel-to-reel tapedeck animation when you finally succeed in getting a podcast to play. Super. Right now while trying to write about it, I feel myself getting more confused as I try to explain why I think this app is just bad.

So, it's super that a couple of buttons got moved apart in iTunes. Now deal with this tangled rat's nest that is the podcast app.

<steps down from soapbox of rant, picks up espresso, and slinks away>

i don't use the podcast app. i tried it for a few days, then quickly went back to the music app. now my issue is with wifi syncing. worked fine in iOS 5, still doesn't work properly in iOS 6.

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Hallelujah! I'm sure a lot of people will consider this an insignificant update, but it's a big improvement for me.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit the forward or backward button instead of the play/pause button and then spent several minutes trying to find where I was in the book.
This happens to me all the time. I'm excited too... small as it is this is an important update to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.