Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I had been in the market for a USB2 Music Interface similar to the Apogee line so I could record jam sessions with my band. After doing a bit of research and getting a nice coupon from Guitar Center, I decided to take the plunge with the Track16 by MOTU.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16

Upon receipt, I was really stunned by how slick the physical interface is - the chassis is a beautiful piece of brushed aluminum with two rows of buttons for toggling between the inputs/outputs and a large multifunction wheel to adjust trim levels and volume. Just messing around, getting it interfaced with my macbook air and guitar was a breeze.

I had the chance to try it out during a practice the other day with me on guitar, a bassist and a drummer on an electronic kit. Using the supplied break out cable, I had no problems getting us all connected. Did a few takes using Garageband (i'm just starting out here and don't have the cash for Logic or ProTools just yet) and the recording quality is quite good. Best of all, when we're ready to record an acoustic kit, I could easily get 4 mics on the drums (2 XLR inputs and 2 Line-Ins) and still have dedicated guitar/bass inputs.

My only knock on the device is the clunky-ness of the break-out cable. While it holds the additional input/output connections not found on the physical interface, it also holds the power supply connector. This means, even for editing, I still need this clunky thing on my desk. It can be powered via Firewire port if you don't need the break-out cable, but my MacBook air doesn't have one.

That aside, I'm really happy with device and hopefully this gives people some insight who are considering it. I was really enticed by the Apogee Quartet as it apparently has great pre-amps, but I couldn't justify the $1200 price-point when the Track16 does more.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I had been in the market for a USB2 Music Interface similar to the Apogee line so I could record jam sessions with my band. After doing a bit of research and getting a nice coupon from Guitar Center, I decided to take the plunge with the Track16 by MOTU.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/track16

Upon receipt, I was really stunned by how slick the physical interface is - the chassis is a beautiful piece of brushed aluminum with two rows of buttons for toggling between the inputs/outputs and a large multifunction wheel to adjust trim levels and volume. Just messing around, getting it interfaced with my macbook air and guitar was a breeze.

I had the chance to try it out during a practice the other day with me on guitar, a bassist and a drummer on an electronic kit. Using the supplied break out cable, I had no problems getting us all connected. Did a few takes using Garageband (i'm just starting out here and don't have the cash for Logic or ProTools just yet) and the recording quality is quite good. Best of all, when we're ready to record an acoustic kit, I could easily get 4 mics on the drums (2 XLR inputs and 2 Line-Ins) and still have dedicated guitar/bass inputs.

My only knock on the device is the clunky-ness of the break-out cable. While it holds the additional input/output connections not found on the physical interface, it also holds the power supply connector. This means, even for editing, I still need this clunky thing on my desk. It can be powered via Firewire port if you don't need the break-out cable, but my MacBook air doesn't have one.

That aside, I'm really happy with device and hopefully this gives people some insight who are considering it. I was really enticed by the Apogee Quartet as it apparently has great pre-amps, but I couldn't justify the $1200 price-point when the Track16 does more.

I love MOTU stuff! Very reliable with Macs. I got an Ultralite MK3 a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. Congrats on your purchase, and have fun with the new gear!

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I love MOTU stuff! Very reliable with Macs. I got an Ultralite MK3 a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. Congrats on your purchase, and have fun with the new gear!

Nice! What kind of recording are you doing with the MK3?

I've got a new iMac on the way so I can do my mixing and mastering at home after we record.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
motu drivers are top-notch. they work the way everything should. rme, too.

congrats on the purchase.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Nice! What kind of recording are you doing with the MK3?

I've got a new iMac on the way so I can do my mixing and mastering at home after we record.

I actually only use the MK3 for live playing since it's so reliable and durable. I haven't tried recording with it yet, but probably will at some point. I've been recording and mixing with a Focusrite Saffire PRO 40. Really nice unit for the price.

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I've loved the Motu stuff too, until I discovered RME :cool:

alq.

RME stuff is great! Way over my current budget, but I want to get one someday. They're being used on Broadway tours right now, so I bet they're awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.