Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
California
Just put an order in today at 9am, I don't play music or play games just streaming Netflix, web texting etc... 5gb of google drive cloud should be enough for pictures.

I thought I clicked 16gb this morbid and I get off work & notice 8gb... Oops

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
If you aren't downloading many games, videos, or a lot of music on your device then 8GB should suffice. For normal daily usage such as web browsing, texting, and calling, you'll have zero problems. Just store most of your files in the cloud and stream anything else.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Just put an order in today at 9am, I don't play music or play games just streaming Netflix, web texting etc... 5gb of google drive cloud should be enough for pictures.

I thought I clicked 16gb this morbid and I get off work & notice 8gb... Oops

This means you will only have approx 6gb of usable space. All I can say is good luck and enjoy deleting one app to make room for another. The shuffle game isn't very fun. I will never buy a product again that has less than 32gb.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
On the 16GB you have about 13GB usable. I have about 200 songs on my phone, only about 50 pictures (with 3 several minute videos I recorded) and I currently have about 10GB usable. This is with about 20 apps. You could do it if you're mostly streaming. But if you're taking lots and lots of videos/photos you might get to the point where you're deleting them off your phone after uploading them.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If you are happy to depend on the cloud for your movies, music and photos rather than storing them on your phone (and don't mind the phone being neutered when you don't have a data connection) then 8GB may be OK.

I guess that's what Google would like you to do, hence their stingy storage options.

Otherwise... nah, that won't go very far at all, and forget video.

The limited storage and no SD card is the main thing that puts me off the Nexus 4.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I had no problem with 8GB Nexus 4. I don't store media anymore on my smartphones so that left apps. To my delight Android apps are generally less than half the size of iOS apps, ergo I had no space issues. This is in contrast to my iPad 3 where I have to store every element for every device it supports, even though it does not apply to my device (i.e., huge app sizes for no reason).

If I was going to store media on my device I doubt even 16GB would cut-it.

Michael

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I think the 8GB is just fine. Installed all the app equivalents I'd use on my iPhone and was still left with a few GB free. With all my music on Google Music, I didn't really need space for more.

Last edited:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
This means you will only have approx 6gb of usable space. All I can say is good luck and enjoy deleting one app to make room for another. The shuffle game isn't very fun. I will never buy a product again that has less than 32gb.

... or SD card option ..

----------

The limited storage and no SD card is the main thing that puts me off the Nexus 4.

Ditto - gone for the S3 because of that ..

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The 8 GB is actually 5.6 GB in reality. Just keep that in mind.

I would rather take a 16 GB one. I wish a 32GB option was available because most of my mobile devices seem to serve me well enough with 32GB so far.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
no music, no games, streaming video, cloud storage for photos...8GB (6GB usable) is more than sufficient for apps.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
Yeah, as many others have stated 8 GB is enough for your needs. Those who find it too small is considering what they need for _their_ needs.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No.

And neither is 16GB. Just another reason why I'm looking forward to the S4. Google's storage size options are a joke. I don't mind that they're offering a low end storage option for an affordable price, but why not also a higher end (32GB, 64GB) for more? Let the buyers have the option.

Google's Nexus program (smartphone-wise) still has much room to grow. In the mean time, the growing pains are damaging. The mishandling of their launch is a prime example.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
No SD card option on Nexus 4.

Err I know. I quoted someone saying he wouldn't buy a phone with less than 32GB option and I agreed that another deal breaker is the non-existence of an SD card option. When you read previous replies you'll see that that is the reason i went or the S3

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Do you want to be able to record a video of something like at a concert for a couple minutes? If you do this a few times your storage will be full.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
8GB is certainly enough for people who just want a smartphone but surely these people would buy one with pre Android. They'd want easy stuff like the all the gadgets a Samsung phone brings (Touchwiz etc.).

That's a guess anyway.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
8gb is fine for me for a phone. I have a few apps and utilities installed and a 3-4 games for passing time and entertainment. I have a 32gb 5th gen touch and other phones with SD card slots if I need more storage. I use Google music for music. That being said I am a subscriber to the idea that one shouldn't rely on the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.