Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Great job, Blackberry! Not bad! I'm looking forward to it. I really like it!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Failure, even before launch

Blackberry's prime time is over. There's nothing they can do about it.
Wrong place, wrong time.
Blackberry's are primarily appealing to old-fart executives, those who I'm very sure don't play or care a bit about Angry Birds and 70,000 other apps.

And if it's a new proprietary OS, we already have enough with iOS, Android, WinMo, and who knows what else.

Add to that their extremely expensive Blackberry Enterprise Server to the equation. Many companies finally got rid of it and switch to the iPhone and some to Android phones, saving a lot of money. Blackberry Enterprise Server was just a toy for IS Engineers to look busy at work.

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Interested to see how their camera software works in the real world, so that apple can apply that technique to their camera software :)

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
These type of 'responses' are so predictable.
:rolleyes:

Heaven forbid that the moderators post links to non-Apple specific sites/information. Jeez, expand you horizons!

Oh, but I do expand my horizons. It's just that I come to macrumors.com for, er, the mac rumors (and other Apple related tidbits).

I had already read the review published on The Verge and some of the articles published on Engadget about the Z10, so yeah, I had my horizons expanded before coming here.

But eh, OK by me if this site wants to become even more obsolete in the rumors front in favor of other brands' news. It already republishes much of 9to5mac, TUAW and other sources, so this (publishing half-baked articles on other platforms) seems like a logical step.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I don't care a dime about a physical keyboard (I am way faster with a virtual keyboard on iPhone and I am an experienced writer) but—after looking at the photos—this seems to be the best looking smartphone besides the iPhone (except the branding).

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm excited for BB10, the phones look pretty awesome in my opinion. And frankly the multi-tasking is way ahead of any other device out there..

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Early reviews not promising.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3929760/blackberry-z10-review

BGR:

http://bgr.com/2013/01/30/blackberr...rce=featuredposts-widget-main&utm_medium=home

If people thought Windows Phone 8's eco system is weak, this looks far worse.

Interesting complaint is the battery life and that was one of Rimm's mainstays in the past, exceptional Batt Life??? Will be interesting to see if this works for them, I do not think it is working for Microsoft either, looks like it will be Apple and Android duking it out from here on...

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
These responses are so ignorant. The iPhone has only had SLIGHT changes over the years, in all seriousness, there isnt any innovation in anything after the first one.

Dont get me wrong I love the iPhone, but I'm not at all against seeing Blackberry suceed.

Well I think the new BB's are "nice" but nothing terribly special. Here's where you're thinking is unfair. Apple's first iPhone has caused the rest of the industry to really do the same thing. If there was no iPhone from jump street today's smartphones wouldn't look like they do. We would still be with the old Palm Treo design. The first iPhone was a major jump in UI design and operability. Now you're saying Apple hasn't done much anymore to innovate the iPhone. Well, does Apple have to do it first all the time? Why can't one of the competing companies make a major jump in the smartphone business like the first iPhone and then Apple could follow suit?

It's not Apple's job to move the industry, each competing company needs to make a major hurdle to move innovation and they just aren't doing it. Most of them are the taking the iPhone design and adding a few niceties to their product and putting out on the market. Then people like you come along and say iOS is stale. :p

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Who knows, maybe they can grab the third spot. Windows Phone (ugh) isn't taking the world by storm, so RIM (er, BlackBerry) may actually have a chance here. Thorsten Heinz seems smart enough to have realistic goals, and said that they are shooting for third.

Can't see them getting third spot, but gl them. Why not forget the premium market and go for the budget smartphone market. Samsung and Apple still haven't tapped it yet (though likely will in the next few years) and now's a good time for a company to go in and bring great tech to the underprivileged, cementing their spot and massing capital for R&D.

There's been no real innovation in the smartphone market from any player for years, the tech isn't there yet. RIM can't come in now and wow anyone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I love the comments like "too little too late" or "late to the game"

Companies can turn on a dime. The right product at the right time can make all the difference. Do I think Blackberry has it this time - maybe not. But to "condemn" them for changing gears and bringing some new products to the market is ridiculous.

You know - people said Apple was too late in the game to enter the cell phone market.

Basatne

macrumors newbie
That "double persona" feature is a nice one. I was imagining that on an iPhone for years now.

Overall, it will be us the consumer will benefit on this! Awesome!

You're right, if the creators of the product don't have any competition nor are they worried about their consumers buying elsewhere, there is absolutely no reason for them to put a lot of effort into improving the product.

On the other hand, keeping up with the status quo is risky too because it leaves little room for innovation. RIM aka BlackBerry took a big risk in waiting so long without putting out anything new, but you can tell that a lot of the features are things that an average consumer said 'hey, I wish my phone did that'.

Now it's time to anxiously wait and see what Apple responds with :)

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
Too late.

I think it might be too late for Dingleberry. Most users have moved on to ios or Android and for them to come back to them it would have to be something special and doesn't look like any of those phones are it. Can they survive long enough to make a successor that can deliver? I don't think so.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Awesome. Glad they are making a comeback. The more competition, the BETTER our iOS devices. :apple:

except that ios has hardly changed since its first release, and android already holds a bigger share of the smartphone market.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
As long as they introduce ideas that push things forward, we win.

Can't see any of this as a bad thing. I'm still not interested in one, but good for them. I wish them success.

love the screen-sharing stuff and the SD card, mini-HDMI out.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I love the comments like "too little too late" or "late to the game"

Companies can turn on a dime. The right product at the right time can make all the difference. Do I think Blackberry has it this time - maybe not. But to "condemn" them for changing gears and bringing some new products to the market is ridiculous.

You know - people said Apple was too late in the game to enter the cell phone market.

You're right for the most part, but when Apple decided to enter the cell phone market they saw what wasn't being done or done well and they brought in a whole new design of a product to the industry. The BB10 doesn't address what's not right in the cell phone industry, they are just adding to the clutter. If they had something amazing (not really even a cell phone per say) they could be a game changer and people would open doors for them.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Native dropbox and file manager? When are we going to get those features? My iPad is useless without dropbox.

Honestly I hope that Blackberry stays afloat. Looks a nice v1.0 try.

its against apples "philosophy" tho. they want to get away from a user accessible "filesystem". everything is supposed to "just work". like music should open within a program, no need to look through multiple folders on the harddrive, same with documents and pictures

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.