Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I have a 2010 MBP that i just wiped the harddrive on. It used to have Lion, even though it was shipped with Snow Leopard - as i remember there was a free upgrade to Lion.

When i reinstall from the DVD it installs Snow Leopard and i have no idea how to get Lion on it again. I tried to option click the "purchase" tab in app store but it does not show Lion.

Anyone knows what to do?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
What about buying OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion? And to get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion again, you have to contact Apple and show them your valid purchase of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and they will send you an App Store link, if you want to use Mac OS X 10.7 Lion instead of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or the last proper Mac OS X version.

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I guess i could buy mountain lion, i am just a bit concerned that my semi old MBP Mid2010 (i think) will get slow if i install Mountain Lion on it.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I guess i could buy mountain lion, i am just a bit concerned that my semi old MBP Mid2010 (i think) will get slow if i install Mountain Lion on it.

nah, fear not - my MBP 17" from early 2009 didn't get slow with ML. I don't think the latest OS X iterations has been any much slower, this is much more a problem with iOS...

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I have tried the option clicky thing, but as i remember i did not get it from the app store but from a software update - as i remember all MBP bought in a certain time period got it for free.

Good to hear that ML does not slow down the computer though if it ends up with me having to purchase that. I would prefer to just get Lion back on it though.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have tried the option clicky thing, but as i remember i did not get it from the app store but from a software update - as i remember all MBP bought in a certain time period got it for free.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was an UPGRADE, you could only get it via the Mac App Store (MAS) or a 69 USD USB flash memory thumb drive from the Apple Online Store.
If you bought your Mac within a free upgrade period, you would have had to contact Apple and prove the date of your purchase and they would have get you a code to use with the MAS.

Good to hear that ML does not slow down the computer though if it ends up with me having to purchase that. I would prefer to just get Lion back on it though.
Again, try this thread for more clarification and a number.

deja-vu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Just did a search in my emails and i actually found a receipt from itunes store that i bought OS X Lion, v10.7.2, Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l. (4+).

So should it not appear in app store when i do the option click?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Just did a search in my emails and i actually found a receipt from itunes store that i bought OS X Lion, v10.7.2, Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l. (4+).

So should it not appear in app store when i do the option click?

It should, I think. Contact Apple and see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.