Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
I can not load CDs on to my car's so called "Jukebox". My ever-helpful dealer tells me I must convert and burn a new MP3 audio CD so I can load it on to the car's hard drive.

Any suggestion for a good quality program to convert a CD into MP3?

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
Go with Max, personally, i'm not a massive fan of anything itunes has to offer, doesn't play music very well and the recent update with the "cloud" tracks really annoys me.

Double check the make and model of your 'Jukebox' and see if it can import CDs but theres some super secret special way of doing it...

Go with 320kbps for best audio quality

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I can not load CDs on to my car's so called "Jukebox". My ever-helpful dealer tells me I must convert and burn a new MP3 audio CD so I can load it on to the car's hard drive.

Any suggestion for a good quality program to convert a CD into MP3?

ITunes is about as good as t gets. It has the Fraunhofer mp3 included in it under license. Other MP3 software might use the Lame converter. It is nice that Lame is free but Fraunhofer is better.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
It may help if you post the make and model of your vehicle and they level of audio system you have. I know that the late model Mercedes-Benz will transcode audio to the internal hard disk drive, but it it does not specify, or allow you to specify, what bitrate it does the conversion it. It is quite slow. Not sure if this is a result if the built-in processor, the codec, or what.

It has an internal hard disk, and this is partitioned off to store the navigation map data, the GraceNote database for automatic album and song naming if the CD does not have CD-TEXT, and for the compressed music in which it copies. It it is also DVD-A format compatible, playing DTS or Dolby 5.1, however these discs cannot be ripped to the internal hard disk.

The Mercedes-Benz system is very straight forward and easy to use. Also, using a PCMCIA adapter, you can copy MP3 files directly from an SD card to the internal hard disk, or play them directly. Some models have a USB connector in the glove compartment that connects directly to USB Flash disks (maybe even perhaps hard disks) iPods, and other devices. It can also receive audio using the Bluetooth audio transmission protocol, but I find this does not work as well as some of the other solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.