Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
cause if it did and was $399 for 128gb I would bite for one for music. Any chance? Or will it just be the phone's and Ipads?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I think its already hard enough for someone to invest 399 on an ipod touch let alone 499 when all tablet these days are 159 starting price.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
My only disappointment with my 5th gen iPod Touch was that it didn't have a 128GB option.

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
Highly doubt that we will see a 128 version as early as the 5th generation - not even sure for the iPhone 5.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
No, the iPod is just more of a lowend device, so upgrading to 128GB flash is not feasible.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I would have bought a 128Gb 5th Gen. instead of my 2 iPod Touch 5s - a 64 and a 32.

That said, any device is only going to hold a fraction of my 3Tbs of audio files.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Or not. The only tablets that’d start at $159 would be POS ones. More like 300, 400 or 500...

If you follow with the world today, you will know that Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 and Asus are good tablets with low price. They are well known brand which ensure quality in their products. Ipad is not the only tablet exists. And FYI, apple made like 70% profit from hardware.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
It's feasible, but we likely won't know until it's released or shows up in an iOS beta code. Sorry...and stop biting your nails.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The 64GB version seems to outsell the 32GB version..at least at all the stores I have looked at. This would hopefully indicate that people want more capacity.

They'll have to move to 128GB if they ever plan on getting rid of the iPod Classic (not that I would want that).

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Because it's totally possible to listen to 3TB of audio everyday.

Does that 3TB include video+audio? :p
Because then if that were the case, bring a Retina Display MacBook Pro or an iPad 3 or 4 for true HD watching :D:D:D:D:D:D:apple:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Because it's totally possible to listen to 3TB of audio everyday.

Tiresome argument, the idea of having high capacity players is so when you think of something that you want to watch or listen to, it is available to you at that very moment instead of having to hope it sync'd this time around.

Besides file sizes are getting larger not smaller. Digital collections get larger over time, not smaller.

Before someone throws up the cloud argument...Local storage is vastly superior to cloud storage in speed, reliability (no server down times, crashes, poor connection reception), cost (one flat fee instead of monthly) and security (you own your files instead of having a company, who's bottom line is money not your data).

64GB capacity was available when iTunes was still 128kbps, there were no high definition videos or retina displays that made app sizes double. Flash costs have crashed, Apple is simply milking the cow with capacity price points right now, 128GB is definitely equal in cost now to that of the 64GB then.

The fact they added cost to the 128GB iPad is completely ridiculous, its definitely not costing the company anywhere near the $100 price difference..in fact it probably costs the same as the 64GB model.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Tiresome argument, the idea of having high capacity players is so when you think of something that you want to watch or listen to, it is available to you at that very moment instead of having to hope it sync'd this time around.

Besides file sizes are getting larger not smaller. Digital collections get larger over time, not smaller.

Before someone throws up the cloud argument...Local storage is vastly superior to cloud storage in speed, reliability (no server down times, crashes, poor connection reception), cost (one flat fee instead of monthly) and security (you own your files instead of having a company, who's bottom line is money not your data).

64GB capacity was available when iTunes was still 128kbps, there were no high definition videos or retina displays that made app sizes double. Flash costs have crashed, Apple is simply milking the cow with capacity price points right now, 128GB is definitely equal in cost now to that of the 64GB then.

The fact they added cost to the 128GB iPad is completely ridiculous, its definitely not costing the company anywhere near the $100 price difference..in fact it probably costs the same as the 64GB model.

Yeah they have been milking the storage upgrade for years now.

hogger129

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
They should at least allow you to send in your iPod Touch and pay - maybe not cost - but like $50 for a memory upgrade to 128GB.

It's just like the iPod Classic. That Toshiba 240GB HDD that fits the iPod Classic with the 5.5G back plate, has been around for awhile now, but Apple won't integrate it into the product line. Why? There's absolutely no reason to not offer more capacity.

People build them and sell them on eBay for ~$30 more than the 160GB sells for brand new. The reviews all say they are reliable. Apple could make a lot of money on this, especially with people who put lossless music on their iPods.

Last edited:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I think Apple needs drop the prices.

32GB $229, 64GB $279 & 128GB $329

I bought the 32GB touch twice, as much as I love it I let it go even though I got them for $275 at kijiji.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
cause if it did and was $399 for 128gb I would bite for one for music. Any chance? Or will it just be the phone's and Ipads?

If Apple doesn't then another mfg will produce one with 128gb. It's inevitable. Why pay $399 for a 64gb iPod Touch when I can buy a 64gb micro SD card for $30 and play audio/video/ebooks in my Android smartphone?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If Apple doesn't then another mfg will produce one with 128gb. It's inevitable. Why pay $399 for a 64gb iPod Touch when I can buy a 64gb micro SD card for $30 and play audio/video/ebooks in my Android smartphone?

I think its irrelevent that people want ipod touch to go 128GB just mainly for music.

Ipod classic has 80GB and cost you less bucks. Ipod touch dont even produce good audio and for device as thin as touch 5, i dont think it can produce great sound quality compare to dedicated music player. For ipod touch, its main concern is running games smoothly and targeted young adult whom parents dont want to own smart phone yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.