Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I always use uTorrent on OS X, Windows, and Linux because it's light and it just works. On Android I use BitTorrent though.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
What I like about Vuze is the easy drag to iTunes to convert to AppleTV format. If you use Transmission or uTorrent, do you accomplish that same thing with Handbrake or something?

<3 Doctor Who.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
What I like about Vuze is the easy drag to iTunes to convert to AppleTV format. If you use Transmission or uTorrent, do you accomplish that same thing with Handbrake or something?

<3 Doctor Who.

I just use VLC. I have my TV hooked up to my MBP anyway.

scottjl

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
i've been using transmission for years on my mac, windows and linux servers. active community, fast speeds, lots of features, flexible front-ends. deluge looked good but had more dependencies to be installed on a linux server, where transmission can install a light-weight daemon to be controlled with a remote front-end.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
whats the best mac torrent app, and whats the differences between them?

i use vuze, but the site i use now has an annoying hit and run system so im starting to use another site which doesnt like vuze.

the options for 'accepted' clients are transmission, utorrent or bittorent.

what should i plump for?

i dont do anything complicated, but i like vuze automatically picking up torrents ive downloaded into my downloads folder. it'd be good if it would open at a set time so i could set it to open at midnight or something but other than that...

I have used Transmission and UTorrent, and really they are very very similar and have pretty much the same feature set.

I settled on Transmission as I found the interface easier to use and understand.

I know Transmission will do all the things you mentioned.

I´ve used transmission but moved to utorrent when I did a fresh MT install. Transmission is good, but it get´s really slow (atleast on my mini) when there were a lot of torrents in the UL and DL que, and the fact that it had to ask for permission everytime the computer needed a reboot (i.e when you quit transmission) annoyed the hell out of me... :)

other then that, both utorrent and transmission can do what you ask for.

I chose uTorrent because you can check/uncheck files from a torrent, can't with Transmission.

What do you guys download with these BitTorrent clients? Linux distros? Or DRM-free videos you already own in another format?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
This was the most recent thread I could find with a bunch of people talking about Transmission.

Do you ever get lock-ups within Transmission when you have a lot of torrents open? Particularly if you pause or resume a torrent it will often drop all connections. I'm not sure if it's Transmission, my iMac, my router or something else. I have monitored my router but the load doesn't appear to be freaking out.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I've used Transmission for years and have never seen that issue. Usually I only have 6 or 7 torrents open, but there were times I've had 15 or more and never had an occasion where pausing one would cause other connections to drop.

fcomstoc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
+1 for Transmission, works great and no ads. Been using it on Linux and OSX for years and the Windows port seems to work pretty well as well.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I've used Transmission for years and have never seen that issue. Usually I only have 6 or 7 torrents open, but there were times I've had 15 or more and never had an occasion where pausing one would cause other connections to drop.

It tends to happen when I'm rocking 20+ active torrents (but not necessarily transmitting or receiving data).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.