Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
...The MacBook disk image from the Apple support download page appears to be damaged - I got an error "There may be a problem with this disk image. Are you sure you want to open it?". I was able to examine the package after clicking the Open button, but it might be safer for MacBook users to get this one via Software Update until Apple fixes the image. The other two disk images mounted OK.

Edit: it occurs to me that the bad image might be a problem on my nearest Akamai mirror. Anyone else have problems mounting the MacBook disk image? (I downloaded it twice, didn't help.)

Same here, and I'm on an iiNet Akamai server, which you may also be on. :confused:

cav23j

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
had the problem with my computer stop functioning

have a MacBook7,1 (13-inch, Mid 2010)

hopefully this fixes it

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Off-topic, but the thumbnail in the sidebar made me think we were getting a vertical MacBook…
iPadBook.jpg
:eek:

On-topic: happy to have this, just in case

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
And these problems are....?

Well, I've been using an rMBP 15" so I'll just focus on that. How bout some silly issues like having to choose "Change Desktop Background" twice before it comes up, or restarting the computer makes the desktop revert to an old background. How about having to reset the SMC several times to get games to play at 900 MHz on the GPU instead of 270 MHz. Or for the real nasty one that's just killing me, how about making Safari actually work correctly and render CSS as well as Chrome and Internet Explorer do? See this thread here for details: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145775?start=75&tstart=0

These are flaws that have been ongoing since the rMBP came out (their new flagship product, mind you). No matter how many times I complain to them, no many how many times I've reinstalled / switched out machines, the problems still exist. They are most certainly taking their sweet time.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Well, I've been using an rMBP 15" so I'll just focus on that. How bout some silly issues like having to choose "Change Desktop Background" twice before it comes up, or restarting the computer makes the desktop revert to an old background. How about having to reset the SMC several times to get games to play at 900 MHz on the GPU instead of 270 MHz. Or for the real nasty one that's just killing me, how about making Safari actually work correctly and render CSS as well as Chrome and Internet Explorer do? See this thread here for details: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4145775?start=75&tstart=0

These are flaws that have been ongoing since the rMBP came out (their new flagship product, mind you). No matter how many times I complain to them, no many how many times I've reinstalled / switched out machines, the problems still exist. They are most certainly taking their sweet time.

I was expecting you to post issues that are relevant to the thread....:confused:

This is an SMC update for the 13" MBP, 13" MB, and MBA.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I was expecting you to post issues that are relevant to the thread....:confused:

This is an SMC update for the 13" MBP, 13" MB, and MBA.

My comment is that Apple hasn't been investing technical expertise in a direction that I personally care about. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but my opinion is nevertheless relavant to a thread about fixing a battery issue after 1000 charges. You don't see the relevance? I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

123macman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
My computer just hit 1000 load cycles and unexpectedly shut down then restarted. It has never done that before and when I turned it back on the first thing I did was go to macrumors and this article is at the top of the page.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
The MacBook disk image from the Apple support download page appears to be damaged - I got an error "There may be a problem with this disk image. Are you sure you want to open it?". I was able to examine the package after clicking the Open button, but it might be safer for MacBook users to get this one via Software Update until Apple fixes the image. The other two disk images mounted OK.

Edit: it occurs to me that the bad image might be a problem on my nearest Akamai mirror. Anyone else have problems mounting the MacBook disk image? (I downloaded it twice, didn't help.)
Check the disk image via (in the Terminal):
hdiutil imageinfo <path-to-disk-image-file>

It is probably only a new or different partition format. They created the disk image probably with OS X 10.9 (Beta).

----------

Where is the downrank button?
iEat them for breakfast.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
how nice would it be if 'everyone' could fix their battery issues with a firmware update... by 'everyone', I mean Boeing, only not so subtle.

dempson

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Wellington, New Zealand
Check the disk image via (in the Terminal):

hdiutil imageinfo <path-to-disk-image-file>

It is probably only a new or different partition format. They created the disk image probably with OS X 10.9 (Beta).

Thanks for the tip, but there is no evidence of that. I compared the output of "hdiutil imageinfo" for one of the good images and the possibly damaged MacBook one, and they are structurally identical: same image format, same compression format. The only details which differ are things like checksums, volume size, and partition-data for partition zero.

hdiutil verify reports the disk image checksums are OK.

Mounting it and doing a Verify Disk in Disk Utility reports "Volume header needs minor repair", so it appears that the file system inside the disk image has a minor corruption issue.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
my fans went up to Full Speed on my mid 2011 Air whilst booting... Anyone else had that? Awkward since I did it when I was in the library... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.