Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I think you can accomplish this using an accessibility setting. Not sure which but I'm almost positive it's there; one of the features of Siri advertised in an Apple video was a blind girl having her texts read aloud to her as they came in.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
This is why I trained my dog to read. I figured then he could tell me what the text says, and I don't have to take my eyes off the road. Unfortunately, he became far more proficient with his penmanship, whereas he just doesn't have the tongue for human speech. Now whenever I get a text, my loyal dog dutifully transcribes the message for me and sets it on my lap. But then I have to look to read the bloody note.

:confused:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
This would be a huge convenience when driving

Ummmmm I have siri read me my texts all the time.

I think you can accomplish this using an accessibility setting. Not sure which but I'm almost positive it's there; one of the features of Siri advertised in an Apple video was a blind girl having her texts read aloud to her as they came in.
All you have to do is ask siri to read messages, no need to be blind.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ummmmm I have siri read me my texts all the time.

All you have to do is ask siri to read messages, no need to be blind.

That requires the extra step of clicking the home button and asking Siri anyways. The accessibility setting would do it automatically. And I realize there's no need to be blind...that was the example Apple used in their video.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
This would be a huge convenience when driving

Siri can do this, though its sometimes a hassle when you want to keep your eyes on the road. Which iPhone do you have? If you have the 3GS/4/4S on iOS 5 then you can jailbreak it and install iRealSMS 3.0. There's an option in the settings that let's your iPhone read the text message to you. It'll say "New Text message from Bob, shall I read?" You say yes, and it reads it to you. No need to touch your phone at all. :D

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
If you have a Bluetooth headset or speaker with a control button you can just press it and it will trigger the Siri prompt. Saves you from having to look. I have it read texts and I dictate replies all the time that way.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If you have a Bluetooth headset or speaker with a control button you can just press it and it will trigger the Siri prompt. Saves you from having to look. I have it read texts and I dictate replies all the time that way.

What about a factory Bluetooth connection in my car?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.