Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gundam83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I have an early 2008 white macbook 13.3" with 2.4ghz c2d and currently 3gb of ram. I was considering selling it but I'm not sure I would get much for it. It will no longer hold a charge, there's a crack on the palmrest, and it's pretty beat up looking in general. I was thinking of sprucing it up and installing Lion (currently it's on leopard). I have spare SSD's laying around from old PC builds that I can toss in there, considering swapping out the 1gb stick with a 4gb stick of ram for a total of 6gb, and replacing the defective battery. However all of that is going to cost around $100+ (not counting the software updates) and I'm not sure if it's really worth it. What would you guys do in my situation?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Keep it and just buy a new one. You can try to sell it "As is" policy and see how much you can get for it. I would only recommend try to upgrade it, if it would have been the late 2008 models (as those have a faster system bus, and can hold 8GB of RAM).

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
After all those upgrades, you'd probably end up breaking even if you managed to sell it. Keep it as a backup or sell as is (even if you upgraded the insides, the outside is going to turn buyers off). It's amazing how much people pay for Macs that don't even turn on ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.