Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cantello

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
Recently Sparrow (my favourite email app by far) started crashing after a few minutes. Due to this and the fact that it won't be supported for much longer I decided to give Postbox a try. Liked it and bought it.

However, one thing (okay, several more, but that is a different matter) is bothering me: When I move/copy/archive messages on my GMail account, they only get sorted for real after I close Postbox. As the computer is only restarted every few months and I have the email client running all the time, this does not happen very often, which leads to problems if I access the mailbox via the web interface, where all these moved/archived mails still appear in the inbox.

Is there some way to have Postbox make changes to the inbox instant?

Cantello

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
Just don't set "Expunge on exit" in the apps preferences. This should work and move/delete all messages immediately as desired.

skitch.png

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Just don't set "Expunge on exit" in the apps preferences. This should work and move/delete all messages immediately as desired.

Thanks.

I'm finding the more I dig, the more I like Postbox - it's a very good program with much to offer.. hope to see more to come!

One thing that drives me crazy: threads don't show you an update live when replying to them. You have to leave the thread and then come back to see the changes (the new reply or new forward).

I spoke to them about this (by the way, that's part of what makes them so nice - they actually respond to email FAST, good support system) - they may consider adding this as an option. Hope so...

Jacques

Cantello

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg
Thanks.

I'm finding the more I dig, the more I like Postbox - it's a very good program with much to offer.. hope to see more to come!

Same here, I thought when Sparrow did not work anymore that I was stuck with Mail.app (slow, somewhat clunky with Gmail) but Postbox is a worthy replacement, although it could do with better Gmail integration: the "on my Mac" mailbox is completely superfluous and the favourites toolbar is not very well implemented (cannot be ordered and mail cannot be dragged on the labels to move them).

I spoke to them about this (by the way, that's part of what makes them so nice - they actually respond to email FAST, good support system) - they may consider adding this as an option. Hope so...

I beg to differ, the support system is rather sub-standard, where did you find a support email address btw? I only recently discovered that they offered support via Twitter (with a prompt reply, I have to admit). Apparently they have become more responsive, so I should consider revising my opinion... ^_^

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Their support is excellent.

If you need assistance or would like to suggest features: support@postbox.zendesk.com

It's not a perfect client, but it's the best one I've used.. I do look forward to .Mail to arrive, but that's a ways off yet...

In the meantime, these guys have my vote!

Cantello

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Lüneburg

I just realised that while deleting messages is effected immediately, moving and archiving messages still only takes place after closing Postbox. Annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.