Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you grateful for where Steve Jobs steered technology

• Yes (explain why)

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • No (explain why)

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
If you can't read all of this right now, definitely spend time to read parts of it at later times, most of you will probably agree with what I write in this long post, haha.

Let me first start off by noting that I'm an avid user of a variety of technological products from a range of different technology companies/innovators -- I enjoy PC desktop/laptop software OS from Microsoft, and think that their standardization of computers are absolutely perfect for the business side of things. I love Google's internet services such as Chrome, G-Mail, Google Search, etc.

But I really love what Steve Jobs has done and where he's steered technology. Remember before Apple was a significant player in the technological realm? Technology, more or less, seemed boring -- it seemed uninteresting, now Apple is at the forefront of technology, it's all you hear about nowadays... I truly believe we're in a technological era.

Now, I'll be the first to admit it, aesthetically speaking (not technically) I wasn't a huge fan of Apple's product designs back in the 80's or early 90's, but as soon as they started to merge into more funky/unique product designs, they caught my attention. By the time that they adopted the sleek, futuristic, black/white, aluminum product theme to their entire product portfolio, I was definitely pleased.

I feel like Steve Jobs - despite the fact that he didn't have a significant educational background (or even technical background for that matter) created something that we all subconsciously expected/hoped for technology to be in the future. Remember when you would watch movies and you would see people using fictional technology that was so sleek, so intuitive, so futuristic and thought to yourself "maybe in 100 years?" -- Well I feel like Steve Jobs has brought that type of imagination to reality today.

I love Microsoft and even Samsung (especially their smart TVs) - but I feel that Google, LG, Nokia, Samsung, Microsoft, Motorola etc. make products that don't have personality to them.. they're simply practical products meant for using -- while Apple on the hand makes products that are both practical as well as personal - you can both use and appreciate your product. I think this is a big reason why people are so keen to protect their Apple products - they're functional, but also beautiful and literally trigger a part of the brain that enjoys aesthetics - best of both worlds.

I feel like every Apple product is a mini-robot/computer in a long, extensive line of products all designed by Apple, Inc. that each have a distinct personality to it -- it's hard to explain, faceless computer robots that each have their own personality and advantages (functionally speaking). The closest robot/futuristic theme I can compare to Apple is the design/theme of the game "Portal".

Everything from the iPod classic, to iMac G4's, to Mac minis, to Macbooks, iPads, iPod nanos, iPod shuffles, iPod Minis, iPhones, Mac pros - all have personality to them.. even their peripherals have so much sleekness and aesthetic to them, it's hard to wrap your mind around (like their thin keyed keyboards, aesthetically focused external hard drive boxes, to their super creative Magic Mouse (touch-sensitive mouse), touch pads that allow you to scroll across desktop pages, scroll, and, switch between tabbed web browser pages),

For example, I feel like the Macbook Air has a distinct personality and functionality from the Macbook Pro. I feel that the iPod nano has a distinct personality from the iPod mini which has a distinct personality and feel from the iPod classic, iPod shuffle, etc.

Everything about Apple captures that subconscious feeling we probably had about futuristic technology before Apple exploded as a company - sleek, futuristic, mysterious, high-tech products that are absolutely gorgeous to look at - it really makes technology so much more interesting. Apple really pays attention to detail - everything from their clean cut, but symbolically powerful logo (no letters) to their Apple store designs (large glass boxes with white walls, and wooden tables, white floors), to their corporate culture (wear t-shirt, jeans, and no shoes/socks to work!) to their creative renaming of boring tech jargon that makes your eyes glaze over like "tech support" and rename it to something interesting like "Genius Bar" - they've perfectly integrated high-technology with aesthetic beauty, intuitiveness (at the consumer level), and counter-culture rooted creativity - this is why I love Apple so much.. the company appeals to everyone from little kids in 1st grade.. to high school/college students, to middle aged adults and tech-geeks, to older grandparents who never thought they'd even bother relearning everything about technology until Apple came along an introduced, simplistic, intuitive, but very productive interfaces for consumers (but built in, advanced capabilities for more advanced computers users).

Even though Steve Jobs wasn't able to technically build computers, he knew enough about them, and he was a master visionary - the perfect example of a leader. Like Henry Ford to the car, or Thomas Edison to the light/motion picture, and phonograph - they didn't know how to build these products (with the exception of Edison) - but they knew how to find smart people who could and created corporate empires that are just statues in our global society. I truly believe Steve Jobs did this x 100.

Steve had the brain of a businessman but the heart of an artist: it was evident in the way he structured his corporate empire. This man had everything planned down to a science - everything from the unique people he placed on his board (Military contract executives, consumer discretionary executives, vice presidents, media conglomerate executives: which all helped solidify connections in these respective industries) to the way he marketed his products at shows and conferences (made it seem like a magical, but equally important and groundbreaking experience), to the brilliant and talented people he hired at the executive level: people he's worked a really long time with, trusted, loved, was tough on, but ultimately believed in (marketing, design, software, internet services, operations, hardware), to the way he was able to "dumb down" technology to the consumer level while simultaneously making consumers feel involved in technology. Software interfaces, product names, product launch timing, business partnerships/developer relationships (App store), acquisitions of creative companies like Pixar and NeXT along with an extensive list of small, but promising companies that you've never heard of - Steve Jobs built Apple so perfectly.

Now that Steve has passed, I'm uneasy about how the company could end up, but I'm overwhelmingly satisfied with how far the company has gone, and the creative/high-tech dent they've left in technology. I feel like, in a sense, Steve Jobs prevented technology from becoming too "dorky", "boring", "square" and "exclusive" as it could have been if companies like Samsung and Microsoft continued to lead the industry.. but instead turned it around and made technology "global", "inclusive", "relevant", "aesthetic", "beautiful", "artful", "business curious/friendly", "different", "creative" and "magical".

Thank you , Steve.

:apple:

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Apple has done well to survive after its apparent near death in the 90s so kudos to Apple and Jobs for leading them but I feel this arse licking is dangerous and evident of the modern Apple marketing and perceived image.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
Without Steve Jobs all computers and notebooks and phones will still be bulky and we would still be a couple of years back on technology. Without Apple pc companies wouldnt have Ultrabooks!

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I think Jobs and Apple have done a great job of creating products to fill roles in our life we didn't always know we needed. Also, these products were packaged with software that is very user-friendly and intuitive to just about every age/technical group.

However, I don't get a huge emotional attachment to any of my Apple products or any of my tech gadgets regardless of brand. I am protective of my Apple products because they were expensive. Plain and simple.

It's nice to see this company has touched you in a personal way though. I suppose it's any company's aim to create a bond with their products as strong as the one you seem to have for Apple.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Apple has done well to survive after its apparent near death in the 90s so kudos to Apple and Jobs for leading them but I feel this arse licking is dangerous and evident of the modern Apple marketing and perceived image.

I don't know about arse licking

but I'm glad, the world had some competition and innovation. IIRC palm/treo gave up and started using Windows CE, Blackberry was decent at the time, and Symbian was good but had tiny presence in the US. I'm glad we're not stuck with windows CE bc if it wasn't for the competition, windows 8 phone wouldn't be as good as it is today.

When anybody refers to Apple marketing as the reason for success, I assume they are 13 years old (I think required for this website) and never have had a job in their life. They don't know anything about marketing or business in general.

Sorry to pick on you but you made the first comment and my 8 year old nephew could write a more intelligent comment.

Selling bad products through great marketing doesn't make a company one of the richest in the world or in the top 2 in market cap. Especially when Nokia, MS, Google, and Samsung are competitors. A good product is a good product.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I don't know about arse licking

but I'm glad, the world had some competition and innovation. IIRC palm/treo gave up and started using Windows CE, Blackberry was decent at the time, and Symbian was good but had tiny presence in the US. I'm glad we're not stuck with windows CE bc if it wasn't for the competition, windows 8 phone wouldn't be as good as it is today.

When anybody refers to Apple marketing as the reason for success, I assume they are 13 years old (I think required for this website) and never have had a job in their life. They don't know anything about marketing or business in general.

Sorry to pick on you but you made the first comment and my 8 year old nephew could write a more intelligent comment.

Selling bad products through great marketing doesn't make a company one of the richest in the world or in the top 2 in market cap. Especially when Nokia, MS, Google, and Samsung are competitors. A good product is a good product.

I admit that my comment was poor and was aimed at the OP specifically but I have never implied anywhere that Apples reason for success is purely down to marketing. However, if someone believed that marketing (IMO, especially brand image) had no part in Apples turn around over the years then I would disagree.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I did like where Apple was taking technology - right up until the iPhone. There's no denying it was a game changer, but it changed way more than I feel it should have. One could almost say the entire tablet market today owes much of its existence to the iPhone, and more specifically, iOS. Call me old and outdated, but I much prefer a traditional keyboard and mouse and an OS designed for these input devices, rather than a touch-based interface. I wouldn't mind so much if it were just Apple venturing into this territory, but as so often happens, the competition has followed suite.

That said however, I do think Apple made some great designs and choices in its Mac and iPod line years back that certainly made an invaluable impact upon their users and those respective industries as a whole.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I am typing this while genuflecting before my shrine to Steve Jobs.

My life would be total s*** if he had not bestowed upon us his Greatness.

As a result of his Presence in the world, my life is so much better...almost perfect...all as a result of his Presence, that Graced The World.

My knees hurt, I have to get up now....

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I did like where Apple was taking technology - right up until the iPhone. There's no denying it was a game changer, but it changed way more than I feel it should have. One could almost say the entire tablet market today owes much of its existence to the iPhone, and more specifically, iOS. Call me old and outdated, but I much prefer a traditional keyboard and mouse and an OS designed for these input devices, rather than a touch-based interface. I wouldn't mind so much if it were just Apple venturing into this territory, but as so often happens, the competition has followed suite.

That said however, I do think Apple made some great designs and choices in its Mac and iPod line years back that certainly made an invaluable impact upon their users and those respective industries as a whole.

OK, you're old and outdated :p

I am typing this while genuflecting before my shrine to Steve Jobs.

My life would be total s*** if he had not bestowed upon us his Greatness.

As a result of his Presence in the world, my life is so much better...almost perfect...all as a result of his Presence, that Graced The World.

My knees hurt, I have to get up now....

:rolleyes:

Try knee pads it'll give you a bunch more worship time. His greatness will appreciate that :D

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I do appreciate him saving the mothership and all, but I care very little for the direction :apple: is heading after they became successful again. The obsession with design being most important.

I'm a practical guy. Gimme something that works well, if it's purdy that's gravy. Form should follow function.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I think he contributed a lot in terms of design, both of hardware and software. I love the early "Aqua" interface, and Mac OS X is a great OS (IMO). I'm not sure if that would've happened without Steve Jobs.

Except for the MacBook Air, I don't really like most of the designs after 2008-ish, especially the iDevices, and those seem like they had the most influence on other companies' designs/products.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
"Grateful" is a peculiar choice of words. I'm very pleased with Apple's product line, and I plan on buying more in the future, but in the end, I'm just a customer. As much as I love my MacBook Air or iPod Touch, they weren't exactly manufactured as a personal favor to me.

Quite frankly, any gratitude should be coming from the company's end, not mine.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I am indeed grateful. He was a strange, contradictory combination of CEO, marketeer, visionary and inventor with a mammoth ego that could not be deflated, even when he was fired from his own company. Steve blasted Apple into the rarefied air it occupies today and he gave us the best user experience available in computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.