Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:48 AM   #1
Isamilis
macrumors regular

Repair old iPod touch 3rd Gen or ipad mini?

I have ipod touch which needs screen and battery replacement with total around $50. Major usage is for my daughter (junior high school) for game, photo editor and music. Now, I am also thinking to replace it with ipad mini (because of camera and size - able to read and play garageband). I have also ipad2 but I bring it to the office on weekdays, and let the kids use them during weekend.

I kindly need your opinion, do you think, it's still worth to spend $300 for ipad mini instead of $50 for ipod touch repair?

Thanks!
Isamilis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:19 AM   #2
ZuneMan?
Banned

Buy the iPad for her birthday
ZuneMan? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:38 AM   #3
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

I have a 4th gen touch and a iPad Mini. The Mini is sooooo much better!
midwestfisherma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfisherma View Post
I have a 4th gen touch and a iPad Mini. The Mini is sooooo much better!
Same, although I like the iPod touch 4 for certain tasks.. Like listening to music, or just browsing tapatalk/reddit.
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Isamilis
macrumors regular

Thank you all for the suggestion. It seems repairing the iPod touch first while waiting for iPad mini 2 is also good option.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 PM   #6
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I'd get her a refurbed iPod Touch 4th gen from the Apple Online Store. They are like new and include a year's worth of Apple Care hardware warranty. $149, plus tax. Middle ground - it has a camera, iBooks to read, Garageband app, is between the 3rd gen Touch and Mini as far as speed, and is about halfway as far as price as well... also a more appropriate price for a gift for a child, in my opinion.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:13 AM   #7
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I'd get her a refurbed iPod Touch 4th gen from the Apple Online Store. They are like new and include a year's worth of Apple Care hardware warranty. $149, plus tax. Middle ground - it has a camera, iBooks to read, Garageband app, is between the 3rd gen Touch and Mini as far as speed, and is about halfway as far as price as well... also a more appropriate price for a gift for a child, in my opinion.

Is that a 4th gen 16GB price? Because brand new 16GB is at 199 usd, a pretty good get as well. Bump up a generation for her would be nice and there is front and back camera on it.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:02 AM   #8
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Is that a 4th gen 16GB price? Because brand new 16GB is at 199 usd, a pretty good get as well. Bump up a generation for her would be nice and there is front and back camera on it.
It's for the 8GB... Apple had them at a "limited time price" or $129 for about 6 months, and they just raised it back to $149, but that's still pretty good. But, I agree, the 16GB for $199 you mentioned isn't bad either... but for a kid, I'd let her make due with the 8GB for 50-some extra bucks in my pocket for real life needs.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Isamilis
macrumors regular

I can see 129 is in-between option of $50 and $300. I'm still thinking few other options for her. Thanks all for your comments.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch