Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexander.brown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Australia.
I bought a 2010 MacBook Unibody a few weeks ago as I am presently starting University.

I plan to use this notebook until it will not boot any more. How long will Apple keep making batteries for this notebook, if anyone knows?

Best $500 I ever spent!

Thanks (and first post here!).

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Hey Alex and welcome to the forum.

With proper care and perhaps a few minor hardware upgrades, there's no reason why your MacBook won't last 8-10 years or longer. My '06 MacBook is still in fine shape after a battery replacement a couple years ago. Apple support as far as parts and batteries shouldn't be a problem.

-GDF

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I've had mine for a year now and it's still working perfectly.

I also have a 2008 black MB that runs just as good as the 2010 and the 2008 is what I typed this on.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
A white macbook or a unibody? You should have been able to do far better than a white one for $500 at this point. Edit: Doh! I didn't note the location. I remember used pricing being much higher in the Australian market.

alexander.brown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
Australia.
Yep, it cost $1,199 including GST (Tax) when it was released here, so I think I got a bargain.

Thanks everybody - I want this notebook to last for a good 10 years if I can make it. I plan to throw 16 gigs of RAM (I have the latest EFI update) and an SSD soon.

For a bargain price, the battery still lasts a good 3.5 hours (the battery capacity is, according to coconutbattery) 91%.

Thanks for the replies!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If you’re worried about batteries for your MacBook becoming scarce in the years to come, you could pick up a few on Amazon or eBay now and stash them away for later use :D

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I wouldn't worry about batteries just yet and I wouldn't buy one and just keep it in storage for years as it would be shot by the time you used it. Apple sold tons of these laptops, and tons will need new batteries over the next couple of years; they will be around for a while and it is an easy DIY swap despite Apples BS about not being user servicable. Two screws and one connector and the battery is out.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I wouldn't worry about batteries just yet and I wouldn't buy one and just keep it in storage for years as it would be shot by the time you used it. Apple sold tons of these laptops, and tons will need new batteries over the next couple of years; they will be around for a while and it is an easy DIY swap despite Apples BS about not being user servicable. Two screws and one connector and the battery is out.

Apple and numerous other sites still sell much older MB batteries. I wouldn't worry about the battery on a 2010 MB for many years. Apple will always be able to replace the battery in the 2010 for a long long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.