Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Reflx
macrumors newbie

Mac file duplicating after being deleted through Trash?

I was trying to delete the hidden files on my USB stick through my Mac when after deleting some of the files there was a file called ".DS_Store" on my desktop. I went and moved it to the trash but once I clicked "Empty Trash" is duplicated itself back to my desktop on its own. I was using a program called Houdini 3 to see and delete my hidden files and now that its on my Mac I was wondering if it shows all the hidden files now and this ".DS_Store" was one of them hidden on my desktop. I have no idea, I just need some help deleting this annoying file.
Reflx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

It is an important file, and the dot before its name indicates its normally hidden status.
If you turn off to show hidden files in Finder, it will "disappear" again.

Mac OS X – Show / Hide Hidden Files in Finder
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflx View Post
I was trying to delete the hidden files on my USB stick through my Mac when after deleting some of the files there was a file called ".DS_Store" on my desktop. I went and moved it to the trash but once I clicked "Empty Trash" is duplicated itself back to my desktop on its own. I was using a program called Houdini 3 to see and delete my hidden files and now that its on my Mac I was wondering if it shows all the hidden files now and this ".DS_Store" was one of them hidden on my desktop. I have no idea, I just need some help deleting this annoying file.
You don't need to worry about deleting .DS_Store files. They are created automatically, and are normally hidden. If you don't understand what something is, you shouldn't be deleting it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You don't need to worry about deleting .DS_Store files. They are created automatically, and are normally hidden. If you don't understand what something is, you shouldn't be deleting it.
Good advice.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store